|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Electrical type question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Tinstar

McKinney, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/21 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At my sticks and bricks, I have to replace a pool pump.

Which is more efficient to run (uses less electricity), a 2.5 HP pump drawing 6.3 amps or a 1 HP pump drawing 8 amps? They are both 120 volt. From what I can tell, the 2.5 HP is around 1800 watts and the 1 HP is around 750 watts. It just doesn't make sense to me that the 2.5 has lower amps and thus the reason for my question.

Thanks for any insight.

* This post was edited 06/13/21 09:50am by Tinstar *

">Never pass up a chance to go somewhere">

cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/21 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've sold and repaired thousand's in the course of 30 + years. Something is not right about those numbers. I've never seen a 2.5hp that was capable of being run on 115v or a 2hp for that matter. Is this a above ground pool?

2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

Tinstar

McKinney, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/21 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cougar28 wrote:

I've sold and repaired thousand's in the course of 30 + years. Something is not right about those numbers. I've never seen a 2.5hp that was capable of being run on 115v or a 2hp for that matter. Is this a above ground pool?

I don't know. Here's what the ad says.

Clickey

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/21 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There must be an error in the listing's specifications. 120V * 6.3A = 756W or about 1 HP. Somebody copied a wrong number somewhere. The AliExpress listing shows the same electrical specifications, but also a plug that is decidedly not a 120V plug (or at least one that I've ever seen).

In terms of electrical energy use, the actual power used will depend on the (mechanical) load on the pump, which in turn is determined by the sizes and lengths and arrangement of the pipes or hoses to and from the pump, the inlets and outlets in the pool, the speed and pressure of the water flow, the design of the pump itself, and probably a few other variables. I would not expect vast differences in overall efficiency assuming a similar flow rate; just because a motor is rated for 2.5 HP doesn't mean that it is always producing that amount of power, nor consuming the same amount of input power. In general, all other things being equal and assuming the power specifications are not inflated beyond all reason, the larger pump would pump water at a higher flow rate (and hence pressure), which means greater circulation but a little more loss due to friction, and so I'd expect it to be a little less efficient in practice (but give faster filtering/circulation).

Tinstar

McKinney, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/21 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's for the help guys. I ended up ordering a 1.5 HP name brand pump made more for my pool instead of the 2.5 HP on that has a confusing description.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Electrical type question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.