|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Gotta Roll With the Punches

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/21 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since leaving full time Rving 7 years ago following a stroke I’ve been at different rehab facilities and, becoming somewhat independent, I’ve lived 4 1/2 years in long term hotels that have handicap accessible rooms. Living in these hotels has had its share of issues, not to mention the extremely high cost.
But there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. The VA here in Amarillo is offering assistance in obtaining an apartment in a building that’s for vets only. It’s possible I could save $1,000/month (I currently pay $1,450-1,500/month). I need to leave this hotel by the end of June due to serious issues, such as noise and uncaring management
Since it may take a while for an apt to become available in Amarillo, I’m looking at temporarily relocating to Pampa Tx to a motel which has pretty good ratings. It’s only about an hour from Amarillo, but unfortunately won’t have the kitchen facilities the hotel has. The room will have a mini-fridge and microwave, though, so I can make do temporarily.

Sure is a big change from my RVing days. I envy you fine folks who are currently full timing. It’s the best lifestyle IMHO

* This post was edited 06/13/21 04:52pm by mr. ed *

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/21 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hear people moving around in my apartment too, thankfully not much at 2am though IU move about once an hour) Any source of white noise (Like an air conditioner on high or a white noise generator) may help to reduce the annoyance.

I just looked at the price some of them are over 100 Bucks (OUCH) Likel cost 5 to build one if I wanted to ...

Here is one not so pricy don't know how good and E-bay Beware

Such a device on e-bay

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/21 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Download a white-noise track to your phone or computer. Hook it up to a speaker (<$20 if you don't have one) and set it to play on a repeating loop all night.

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ">
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appreciate the suggestions, but I already run the AC unit or a box fan near my bed. I also have a white noise app on my iPad, but have found no way to muffle the sound of loud footsteps on the ceiling. Way back in the past I tried earplugs but found them annoying and a causative factor towards ear infection, besides being ineffective. I have very acute hearing which doesn't help, either. If the veterans apartment becomes available, I can only hope the residents will be respectful of other vets and also mindful of making excess noise, especially late at night. Life's a gamble and you can only hope things will work out.

I've always looked at life's challenges in a somewhat positive note, and there's a certain satisfaction in overcoming them even though there are times you jut can't win. [emoticon]

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ed, can you get a unit on the top floor?

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geo*Boy wrote:

Ed, can you get a unit on the top floor?

The floor above me at this hotel is also handicap accessible and I asked if i could move there when available but management completely forgot about it. They’re famous for forgetting requests, at least mine. It’s been my experience that most apartments keep their handicap units on the ground floor, especially if there are no elevators. I know the veterans apt has an elevator, so i’ll l need to find out if one’s available. Of course, there’s a possibility I may need to wait a while until my desired unit becomes available, meaning I may need to accept an apt that’s less desirable in order to move in quicker. I also hope the soundproofing between units on the same floor is good. That’s one positive thing about my current apt as I rarely hear any noise from my immediate neighbors.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Gotta Roll With the Punches
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.