RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: 16% Road incline!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> 16% Road incline!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can find them if you look but why? I thought interstates were limited as to how much incline they could have.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/21 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

paulj wrote:

High Bar road descending into the Fraser Canyon, British Columbia, has 23% grade sign at the top.

Half way down I stopped for a breather. The front wheels (on my suv) were too hot to touch.

The Hill to Bella Coola is only 10-11%, but longer. I've seen a pickup camper with a brake fire at the bottom.

Those, my friend, are why God gave us lower gears.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/21 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almost easier on a dirt road as then 4LO is available. Could be other issues if towing.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/21 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

naturist wrote:

paulj wrote:

High Bar road descending into the Fraser Canyon, British Columbia, has 23% grade sign at the top.

Half way down I stopped for a breather. The front wheels (on my suv) were too hot to touch.

The Hill to Bella Coola is only 10-11%, but longer. I've seen a pickup camper with a brake fire at the bottom.

Those, my friend, are why God gave us lower gears.

Burned my brakes at Tioga Pass in downhill descent even with the lowest of gears as the RV is pushing the trailer puller. Had to as I was afraid it will in turn ruin the gears iff it goes beyond the prescribed speed limit (better minds and experts may chime in if my fears are unfounded).

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/21 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

So the 6% max grade are only for freeways?

Applies to all roads receiving federal funding, which typically includes most state, US and I routes (and in some cases city and county routes).

BUT!!!! There is a "design exception" process. In some cases, it's not possible or reasonable to meet federal design standards. As part of the process, we review the safety, capacity, delay and assess what it would take to meet the design standard.

For some of these routes, you would have to dig out a canyon hundreds, even thousands of feet deep for miles or dig long tunnels at many millions of dollars. It's pretty easy to justify a design exception.

These are mostly low volume, low speed roads with little commercial traffic. They mitigate via signing and prohibiting certain vehicle types.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

paulj

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/21 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

California has a number of state highways that are restricted by length, either total length or 'kingpin' length. It's curvature that's the issue, though curves usually go along with grades. In fact the worst grades are on the inside of sharp curves. I'm thinking in particular of Sonora Pass (108). I know of some city street intersections like that in the Seattle area.

Many of those California roads were originally wagon tracks, and due to terrain and usage have not seen much change in route or grade. CA162 (Lone Pine) follows a dry (usually) steam bed, crisscrossing it without bridges or culverts, and minimum of cut and fill.

RV posters often worry about switch backs. But as one who grew up in the mountains, a true switchback is one where a pickup has to execute a 3 point (or more) turn, the equivalent of turning around in the middle of a city street. The only paved route that I've encountered like that is in Yoho Nat Park (BC). One pair of curves is signed, telling vehicles longer than 7 meters (21 ft) to back up the middle leg.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/21 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

paulj wrote:

But as one who grew up in the mountains, a true switchback is one where a pickup has to execute a 3 point (or more) turn, the equivalent of turning around in the middle of a city street. The only paved route that I've encountered like that is in Yoho Nat Park (BC). One pair of curves is signed, telling vehicles longer than 7 meters (21 ft) to back up the middle leg.

[emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]

It's not a highway but a campsite road that can only hold one truck and on one side is a deep ravine.

Fortunately, those who traverse this road know the road protocols and are thoughtful.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> 16% Road incline!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.