RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Insurance!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Insurance!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/21 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a separate policy on my TC with Geico, covered for $25k, the rates have gone up so I am shopping as well.

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/21 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mellow wrote:

I have a separate policy on my TC with Geico, covered for $25k, the rates have gone up so I am shopping as well.

What kind of policy, though? Auto, home, other?

Since it is not a vehicle, a vehicle policy does not make sense. The reason people gravitate toward vehicle policies is because the camper is primarily used with a vehicle.

A camper is really just personal property.

Also, a "liability" policy just covers you if the camper hurts someone else. It would not cover you for losses.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/21 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beaker wrote:

burbman wrote:

If you had $5000 worth of expensive furniture in your truck and you were in a crash and rolled the truck and ruined the furniture, the auto policy would cover damage to the truck and homeowner's would cover the loss of the furniture. Same with the camper, it's personal property like furniture, not a vehicle.

My understanding is you need separate collision for the camper, it is not "personal property".
Tow vehicle protects for liability if camper causes damage while being towed, or comes loose.
Homeowner policy used for loss of furniture and personal liability on camper.
That's how it was explained to me by insurance agent.

The OP is talking about a truck camper, not a towable. Different thing so far as collision.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/21 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will put in another plug for a personal/umbrella policy. You are really buying professional negotiators to limit a claim. After all, the insurance company does not really want to pay that first $1 to $2 million dollars. They have to give up that money, before you have to start paying.

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/21 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe Lance does lots of business in states where campers are titled, registered, and licensed as vehicles. They also must realize campers sold in the "cargo" states might end up elsewhere, and I suspect they provide lighted license plate hangers and certificates of origin for all campers. I believe what you are calling a serial number can equally be called a VIN.

I use State Farm for vehicles, home, and umbrella. No claims yet regarding a camper.

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

mikim

Rancho Cucamonga, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/21 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/car/indiana/

I would check with some of these insurance companies as a starting point.

srschang

Western NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/21 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beaker wrote:

burbman wrote:

If you had $5000 worth of expensive furniture in your truck and you were in a crash and rolled the truck and ruined the furniture, the auto policy would cover damage to the truck and homeowner's would cover the loss of the furniture. Same with the camper, it's personal property like furniture, not a vehicle.

My understanding is you need separate collision for the camper, it is not "personal property".
Tow vehicle protects for liability if camper causes damage while being towed, or comes loose.
Homeowner policy used for loss of furniture and personal liability on camper.
That's how it was explained to me by insurance agent.

This is how Allstate does it. I insure my Northstar 12STC truck camper for $35,000 value. The collision costs $65 per year and comprehensive costs $107 per year. The truck policy covers liability if the camper causes damage to someone else's stuff.

2020 Ram 3500 SRW Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/21 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevenal wrote:

I believe what you are calling a serial number can equally be called a VIN.

Except that VINs were standardized to 17 characters back in the mid 70's, and insurance comnpany systems won't accept anything else....it's like a 9-digit phone number, they keep telling you it's wrong.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

bighatnohorse

Gig Harbor - Cave Creek

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/21 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

brholt wrote:

There are insurance companies that know exactly what a truck camper is and will write a separate policy. Fine one of those companies.

Suggestions welcome!

brholt is right.
A GOOD agent will know these things.
I have one with State Farm and I asked the questions like "what if a tree limb falls on it while off the truck camping."
The agent has to know the value of the camper. If no VIN, they should accept the serial number. I've been there, done that. Including totaling the camper and getting cashed out on it.
There was a small charge (maybe $15.00 to write the rider on homeowners policy).

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/21 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Except that VINs were standardized to 17 characters back in the mid 70's, and insurance company systems won't accept anything else....it's like a 9-digit phone number, they keep telling you it's wrong.

Your signature states you have a 2002 Lance. Seems like it should have a standard VIN even if it was originally sold in a "cargo" state. If not, I would call Lance and tell them you need a VIN.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Insurance!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.