|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Sad state of national parks and forests - II

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/21 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

We'd have plenty of money for campground maintenance if we actually had campgrounds. What we have and some want, is luxury home away from home.

Sorry if I offend some folks with luxury RVs - but campers do not need paving, electric, water, and dump at every site. We all are self-contained for a reason.

Personally, we enjoy the wilderness the national parks and state parks that are defined to preserve. Camping is not a home away from home. It is enjoying the nature areas and wildlife that are fast disappearing in this country.

We've been watching these disappear slowly for over sixty years of camping - we don't need money to upgrade, we need money for maintenance of what we have, not what we think we 'need'...
Rant over. [emoticon]

Like!

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/21 12:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 -- 2X Like.

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/21 01:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

birdfreak --- You asked a question (maybe it was rhetorical), but the answer is a very, very good financial advisor and, of course, you always pay your fair share of taxes.

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm still surprised when I go to a state campground and find paved spots and water and electric hookups.

Until recently, Connecticut state park campgrounds were mostly just patches of grass. I got used to that, using my camper as a self contained camper. Now CT is "improving" state campgrounds, adding electric and paved spots, and cabins. Sure, it is nice, but all that "infrastructure" that is being added requires more maintenance and personnel to take care of. And I honestly miss the "olde timey" limited facility campgrounds, where the people camping there seemed to make an effort to clean up after themselves.

Also in CT, some of the state parks have "Friends of (whichever park)", volunteer groups who help the park employees take care of the park and also push for renovation and adding facilities. Hammonassette State Park in CT has a very active Friends of Hammonassette who are always working on the park and are in the local news with what they are doing. I can see myself helping them when I retire.

We've been to a New Jersey County park a couple times that is beautiful. As far as I know it has one full time employee, a guy that has been there for over 10 years and he keeps the place well run and maintained, along with a volunteer group. The full time guy seems to really love the place and his job, and it shows.

I don't think there is a one solution that fits all.

Seems like the best places are run and maintained by people who love what they are doing, paid or volunteer, more taxes or less.

wintersun

Monterey

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grant Teton park officials recently reported that they had 1 million visitors in July 2021. Overall the past summmer and this summer there has been a near doubling in the number of visitors to the nation's national parks. There has not been a doubling of their budgets and they are having to spend literally billions of dollars to fight fires from the prolonged drought caused by man made global warming.

What is needed is a WPA as with FDR. A great many of the campgrounds and roads and bridges were built in the 1930's as part of program to put men to work and the net result was greatly improved infrastructure for everyone to enjoy. The Republicans have wanted to privatize our parks and turn them over to corporations to operate for profit.

I seriously doubt that with the Republican obstructionists and neoliberal "democrats" that Biden will have a prayer of doing the same. But for Bernie Sanders we have not even a glimmer of hope.

California is different in that the people of the state, for the most part, value the public lands and state parks and beaches and have funded them over the years. California is one of only 3 states in the nation where there is free public access to 100% of the coastline (the other two are Oregon and Texas).

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/21 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think part of this is due to a change in users. Years ago, most "campers" were younger. As folks aged, camping became uncomfortable, so they stopped. Hauling gear, dealing with tents, sleeping on the ground, etc, began to outweigh being outdoors. Older folks stayed in lodges and limited their time roughing it.

Now, with RVs decked out with all the comforts of home, older folks are able to keep camping. And as they have the time to do a lot of it, they have become the majority. So many campgrounds are trying to cater to their wants. That means electricity, water, sewer, flush toilets, etc.

Fortunately, there are lots of options. I love USFS campgrounds. They allow dogs on trails, they are more old school and usually have privacy between sites, and they are inexpensive. For someone else, a state park campground with hookups is ideal. For another, a private campground with store, playground, laundry, hookups, pool, etc, is perfect.

As long as our campgrounds continue to offer such options, there is a place for everyone. It's when they all cater to the same demographic that we all lose.

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bird Freak wrote:

As you stated Biden paid over $5 million in taxes can you explain how a HONEST politician ( LOL ) makes enough money to have to pay that in tax's.

Books and speeches most likely. The returns were published for all to see, unlike tRump.

I think the real question is how can a purported BILLIONAIRE ( LOL ) could only pay $750 for a year. tRummp LOST nearly a billion (of other people's money), and has been milking that loss for 2 decades. Of course he's also neglected to count all those discharged loans as income.

* This post was edited 08/20/21 05:04pm by cptqueeg *

RKW

Four Corners, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/21 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bashing present and past Presidents does not strengthen our online community.

Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250
  • 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS
  • Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.

• cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RKW wrote:

Bashing present and past Presidents does not strengthen our online community.

If I wanted to bash I would have said he "welched" on the loans, instead of the more polite "discharged." [emoticon]

I held off for almost 2 months......I just had a weak moment. My bad.

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/21 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RambleOnNW wrote:

Quote:

And while it may not be nearly enough, look at what the other party has actually given from their own pockets, from Obama, to SlowJoe to Harris, NONE give as much as Trump did. You may not like him, but from a personal standpoint, he has done/donated more than any others for the last 30 years.

You’ve got things entirely backwards.

The truth

Partisan drivel, and had nothing to do with the donations to the park service, only a hate filled screed which apparently fits your agenda.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
    Page of 6  
    Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Sad state of national parks and forests - II
    Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
    Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.