|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Looking for new tow vehicle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/21 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Diesel isn't needed for an 8k trailer even with a van full of people and stuff.

Maybe needed - maybe not be needed - but sure is nice. Once you tow with a diesel, you will never want to go back.

What he said.........l00% effortless towing.......for the truck and the driver.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Frenchracer21

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/21 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wowens79 wrote:

Frenchracer21 wrote:

Thank you for the help. I think they replaced the excursion with the expedition since they claim it can pull over 9k. We definitely want an suv or van since we plan on using the camper a lot and already have a very long trip planned. So we want what's best for the kids to have room amongst theirselves but also allows us to have conversations in the front without little ears lol.

The Excursion was built on the F-250 chassis, it was a beast. Much heavier duty than the Expedition.

Ahhh makes sense. With you guys taking abiut it I looked it up on autotrader and found a 2002 gvwr 8900 with 74k miles for 13k. Not sure I want to go that old though even with the low mileage

John Burke

North Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/21 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have towed for over 20 years with a 3500 Express. Last camper was a Jayco Eagle 39 Ft ball to bumper and about 11500Lbs loaded. That van was the short wheel base with a 6.0 and 6 speed transmission. We pulled that one for about 35,000 miles.
I buy the used rental vans and they have had any ware from 14,000 to 21,000 miles. Still have warranty and have no problems with any of them.
The other 4 van's were the long wheel base 6.0, 6 speed. Like those a lot better, 20 more inch's of cargo space. Short wheel base has a little more cargo rating but it does not matter, get the long one. I pull out the 2nd long bench seat and then able to put my cargo father forward for weight distribution. Still able to seat my wife, 4 grandkids(with only two kids per seat) and two big dogs in the way back, comfortably.
Pulls the campers like a dream with a 4 point Equalizer hitch. With the biggest camper our average MPG was 9.5. That is not just only on flat ground. With the smaller, lighter ones 12-13 was normal MPG. No engine, transmission or tire problems and they got retired with a minimum of 150,000 miles.
Here in the mid west it is easy. The rental company's get rid of them after about a year. I just picked up one last October with 19,500 miles for 21,900. It is loaded. I prefer the Chevrolet because they are a lot more common keeping the price reasonable, parts are available and there Chevrolet dealers every ware if needed.

Frenchracer21

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/21 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John Burke wrote:

I have towed for over 20 years with a 3500 Express. Last camper was a Jayco Eagle 39 Ft ball to bumper and about 11500Lbs loaded. That van was the short wheel base with a 6.0 and 6 speed transmission. We pulled that one for about 35,000 miles.
I buy the used rental vans and they have had any ware from 14,000 to 21,000 miles. Still have warranty and have no problems with any of them.
The other 4 van's were the long wheel base 6.0, 6 speed. Like those a lot better, 20 more inch's of cargo space. Short wheel base has a little more cargo rating but it does not matter, get the long one. I pull out the 2nd long bench seat and then able to put my cargo father forward for weight distribution. Still able to seat my wife, 4 grandkids(with only two kids per seat) and two big dogs in the way back, comfortably.
Pulls the campers like a dream with a 4 point Equalizer hitch. With the biggest camper our average MPG was 9.5. That is not just only on flat ground. With the smaller, lighter ones 12-13 was normal MPG. No engine, transmission or tire problems and they got retired with a minimum of 150,000 miles.
Here in the mid west it is easy. The rental company's get rid of them after about a year. I just picked up one last October with 19,500 miles for 21,900. It is loaded. I prefer the Chevrolet because they are a lot more common keeping the price reasonable, parts are available and there Chevrolet dealers every ware if needed.

Our friends havea chevy van and love it. My wife likes it as well but I'm not 100% sold on it. Here is one I found near me granted it is new but this is what you are referring to correct?

https://www.applechevrolet.com/new/Chevrolet/2020-Chevrolet-Express+Passenger+3500-d909de0d0a0d0cc75f74903325b78f3e.htm

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/21 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clicky on Van Ad

The key here on this 3500 van is the 9800 GVWR, that's what you need to handle the tongue weight of the TT and the passengers. My 2500 Suburban had an 8600 GVWR, and we ran slightly over with 2 kids and towing about the same size/weight TT.

[image]

The newer Expedition XL and Suburban have higher tow ratings, but they don't have the GVWR you need to handle both the passenger load and the tongue weight of that trailer. Conservatively, if the TT is 8500 lbs and has 12% tongue weight, that's 1,020 lbs. that the truck needs to carry in addition to 6 passengers + friends and cargo. The problem with kids is that they get bigger every year....LOL...

I would say the 3500 van is the way to go, and the LT gets you the nice trim level for vacation travel. I would suggest you go drive one before you say no to the idea...take the family and make sure everyone is gonna be happy riding in it.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/21 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a 2019 Expedition MAX to tow our 7000 pound boat. It does a much better job than the 2011 Yukon Denali XL it replaced.

The ExMAX has over 9000 pounds of tow capacity, and if you can stay within payload, it will work well (ours has 1767 pounds).

Jeep has announced that it will FINALLY come to market with a Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer later this year. They will have "best in class" towing (over 10,000 pounds I believe), and should be on your list if you can wait a few months.

We've had the ExMAX for a couple years, over 20,000 miles, and it has yet to go back to the dealer other than oil changes. The transmission and EcoBoost do well, its fun to drive solo, and gets decent MPG solo. Non towing power is great, but the fuel economy towing isn't good (we've had several tanks in the 7 MPG range). Overall, my wife really likes the SUV (it is her DD), but I will look at the Jeeps when they finally reach a dealer lot.

As far as vans, as a tow vehicle I'm sure they are up to the task. But I personally (and my wife especially) have no desire to drive one daily. And if you live in an area with snow, make sure you take that into account. Around here, they really need snow tires (or studs) to make them safe in the winter.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/21 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I rented an Expedition Max last month. Not for towing but it drives very comfortable and should tow very nicely. Tons of room. Great ride and power.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Seon

Lake Camanche, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/21 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sold my Yukon XL and replaced it with a Ford e250 super duty van. Tows great with my 23.5 boat or 28' travel trailer. I do have a Hensley hitch which makes towing each great.

[image]

Am currently hooked up to my trailer and headed out in a few to camp this weekend. Will post pics later.

Frenchracer21

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/21 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

We use a 2019 Expedition MAX to tow our 7000 pound boat. It does a much better job than the 2011 Yukon Denali XL it replaced.

The ExMAX has over 9000 pounds of tow capacity, and if you can stay within payload, it will work well (ours has 1767 pounds).

Jeep has announced that it will FINALLY come to market with a Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer later this year. They will have "best in class" towing (over 10,000 pounds I believe), and should be on your list if you can wait a few months.

We've had the ExMAX for a couple years, over 20,000 miles, and it has yet to go back to the dealer other than oil changes. The transmission and EcoBoost do well, its fun to drive solo, and gets decent MPG solo. Non towing power is great, but the fuel economy towing isn't good (we've had several tanks in the 7 MPG range). Overall, my wife really likes the SUV (it is her DD), but I will look at the Jeeps when they finally reach a dealer lot.

As far as vans, as a tow vehicle I'm sure they are up to the task. But I personally (and my wife especially) have no desire to drive one daily. And if you live in an area with snow, make sure you take that into account. Around here, they really need snow tires (or studs) to make them safe in the winter.

What packages does your expedition have? I know they have the heavy duty tow package but ford's website said something about an fx4 off road package as well. Is that needed on yours?

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/21 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wowens79 wrote:

I really wish Ford would bring back the Excursion for families like this. It seems it would be the perfect vehicle in this situation. My son and I saw one the other days and were talking about what a shame it was they quite making them.

Excursion would be great, but so would a real E250/E350 Club Wagon.

Or put a frame under a Transit and a V8 engine !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Looking for new tow vehicle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.