|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2022 Toyota Tundra Reveal

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
hvac

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/21 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just read the highest brand loyalty on thid planet for vehicles is Subaru and Toyota.
Speaks volumes. Respect is earned.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/21 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rumor is Toyota is ditching the V8's and installing a 3.5 twin turbo and perhaps a hybrid configuration.

Link

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/21 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

Rumor is Toyota is ditching the V8's and installing a 3.5 twin turbo and perhaps a hybrid configuration.

Link

That’s ballsy, IMO.
I mean, a lot of people like the Ecoboost and it’s definitely a great option, but there are way more “big V8s” sold every year and I think it will hurt tundra sales if the only big engine is a high rpm rice grinder motor. Heck, their 5.7 is powerful and dependable. I’d be slow to take that option off the table

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

joshuajim

Mojave Desert

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/21 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FUGLY !

RVing since 1995.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/21 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Link

That’s ballsy, IMO.
I mean, a lot of people like the Ecoboost and it’s definitely a great option, but there are way more “big V8s” sold every year and I think it will hurt tundra sales if the only big engine is a high rpm rice grinder motor. Heck, their 5.7 is powerful and dependable. I’d be slow to take that option off the table

Problem with the “big V8” is they are always thirsty (especially true with the Toyota 5.7). Turbo engines are more efficient when not worked and you keep your foot out of it (like during EPA testing).

I think it’s a smart move, and an engine they already have in their portfolio on their Lexus line.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/21 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Link

That’s ballsy, IMO.

If the Toyota V6 is anything like the Ecoboost it's not going need to spin high rpms. The Ecoboost makes its peak torque at a much lower rpm than the 5.0, and I expect Toyota's motor will be the same way.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/21 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used a 3.5 EcoBoost V6 F150 company truck - I liked it.

I figured a V10 EcoBoost version would be a nice tow motor for RV’n.

A 7.3 EcoBoost on gasohol would work too.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/21 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You would think Toyota would have turbocharged their 4.0 V6 that they use in the Tacoma now.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/21 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Link

That’s ballsy, IMO.

If the Toyota V6 is anything like the Ecoboost it's not going need to spin high rpms. The Ecoboost makes its peak torque at a much lower rpm than the 5.0, and I expect Toyota's motor will be the same way.

Yes good points for sure. I still don’t think as a top mfg, I’d kick the “traditional” “big V8” to the curb and only offer 1 “big engine”. If nothing else, even if 99% of the private buyers prefer a more complicated twin turbo V6 (which I don’t think is likely), you are certainly limiting your commercial sales where the “newest and bestest” ( read, more expensive and potentially not as proven) doesn’t win sales.
In 25 years in an industry that buys ALOT of pickup trucks, that industry decidedly does not buy near as many Ecoboost and Turbodiesel trucks as they do good old fashioned old tech, NA V8s.

RoyJ

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 02:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Power wise it'll likely blow the 5.7 out of the water at ANY rpm. Big question is would it match Toyota V8s for reliability? Well, they're confident enough to put it into the new Land Cruiser, whose reputation is built on 300 - 500k mile life.

Reliability is one of the few (if not only) reason why any one would buy a Tundra in 2020 / 2021. Other than that the domestics are better in almost every other way.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2022 Toyota Tundra Reveal
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.