RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Looks like electric trucks and RVs may be delayed...

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

 > Looks like electric trucks and RVs may be delayed...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
goducks10

There

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/21/21 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When people start making decisions for practical reasons vs out of spite then things will move along better.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/21/21 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:


One of the most vocal of them just announced his departure.



Which is strange in and of itself. Premised the departure on selling his big moho (all while promising to buy a mini-me trailer for the Tesla), yet never talked about his moho, or RVs or camping or...well anything but EVs.

I'd like to have a beer or 10 with ole Reisender, but his supreme leader still has the Maple Syrup curtain buttoned down...


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/21/21 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Am I the only one that feels the American public is just not ready for an influx of totally-electric vehicles? Maybe I'm old school, and prefer things to run at a bit slower and more methodical pace, but what would be wrong with embracing the hybrid technology that already (quite successfully) have in place? That way I don't have to worry about planning any long trip based on the fact that I've got to find a charging station in XX miles, and I've got to spend a good amount of time at that charging station waiting for my vehicle to charge. I'd like to see hybrids as the next step, then eventually totally electric. And, I'm referring to hybrids like the Prius and Camry hybrid -- not the joke of all joke hybrids like the Cadillac Escalade hybrid a few years ago.


How many families do you know that have only 1 vehicle? If as normal they have 2 cars, and most trips, both vehicles, are less than 100 miles/day and end at home, do both need to be able to run all day with just short fuel stops? Bell, if we are going over a few hundred miles without the trailer we rent a car.
I bet the percentage of people that post on this board are anti-EV is higher than general population

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/21/21 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And it's been a while since I've said this, I really "wanted" a Tesla to make sense for us for my wifes kid commuting duties a couple years ago.
Aside from supporting that snake Elon (but who's counting, I shop Amazon and Walmart too, so...) I was down with the "free" (for now) "fuel." Figured it would offset alot of cost. Besides, a 5second 0-60 soccermobile that doesn't need a gas pump might have allowed me to drive it without too much embarrassment

So I made an honest attempt to make the numbers work. Found the cheapest highest mile model 3s I could find (plenty of them around here, they seem to multiply like rabbits). Not a Dual motor, not a performance anything, just the cheapest.

Then I ran the numbers against a used SUV with similar miles and added up what I'd spend fixing stuff, gas, and a little more for good measure. And guess what? I could drive the wheels off that suv, like put 100k more miles on it before I'd get down to the same overall $/mile cost of a used Tesla.
And that's not including having to succumb to paying through the nose for monopolistic parts and service. That was assuming only tires and maybe brakes.

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/21/21 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Am I the only one that feels the American public is just not ready for an influx of totally-electric vehicles? Maybe I'm old school, and prefer things to run at a bit slower and more methodical pace, but what would be wrong with embracing the hybrid technology that already (quite successfully) have in place? That way I don't have to worry about planning any long trip based on the fact that I've got to find a charging station in XX miles, and I've got to spend a good amount of time at that charging station waiting for my vehicle to charge. I'd like to see hybrids as the next step, then eventually totally electric. And, I'm referring to hybrids like the Prius and Camry hybrid -- not the joke of all joke hybrids like the Cadillac Escalade hybrid a few years ago.


How many families do you know that have only 1 vehicle? If as normal they have 2 cars, and most trips, both vehicles, are less than 100 miles/day and end at home, do both need to be able to run all day with just short fuel stops? Bell, if we are going over a few hundred miles without the trailer we rent a car.
I bet the percentage of people that post on this board are anti-EV is higher than general population


Scooby, I dont think it's "Anti ev" it's not wanting to be limited as in an ev.
For an urban grocery getter, have at it,,,,,, but you should be contributing a fair amount towards the road taxes. But the Pro EV clowns cant see the limits that the mode places on the "NON URBAN" folks, and DC ONLY SEEMS TO BE CATERING TO THE URBAN CROWD as of now.

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/21/21 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:


How many families do you know that have only 1 vehicle? If as normal they have 2 cars, and most trips, both vehicles, are less than 100 miles/day and end at home, do both need to be able to run all day with just short fuel stops? Bell, if we are going over a few hundred miles without the trailer we rent a car.
I bet the percentage of people that post on this board are anti-EV is higher than general population


I think both of these points are accurate. As mentioned above, we have considered going electric with ONE of our vehicles, but would never go with two right now. That said, I think this simply points to the fact that there are still some significant barriers in place.

As for this audience, this is a board for people who take heavy loads long distances so, yes, EV interest would be substantially lower than the general population.

I do think others are right, however. The EV market is generally designed for the local commuter near an urban center right now. Any usage beyond that is still heavily limited.

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/21/21 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For too much of the country, an EV doesn't work. For us, we live near South Boston Va. 18 miles out of town. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee, which we also use as our Towed behind the Class A. The Jeep only gets about 16 mpg, it has a v-8, 4wd, and has on one occasion pulled the Class A out of some red clay when it was stuck.
Our second vehicle is a little Chevy Cobalt, gets about 35 mpg, only has about 80 k miles on it, and we use it for DW's medical trips to VCU . 2 to 4 times a month, 130 miles each way and the 5 miles closest to Richmond always has the chance of 20-60 minute traffic delays.
Even a Nissan Leaf, will not work for the commute to the hospital for her. The 260 mile round trip makes an all electric vehicle impossible with ANY safety margin for the complete trip. Yes a $50,000 Tesla MAY work, but even that becomes a gamble.
EV's outside of an urban environment are too much of a risk.

Yet Urban dwellers can not get it into their skulls that EV's are NOT the perfect solution.

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/21/21 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:


Scooby, I dont think it's "Anti ev" it's not wanting to be limited as in an ev.
For an urban grocery getter, have at it,,,,,, but you should be contributing a fair amount towards the road taxes. But the Pro EV clowns cant see the limits that the mode places on the "NON URBAN" folks, and DC ONLY SEEMS TO BE CATERING TO THE URBAN CROWD as of now.


Explain the limit to me. I bet you have a car that meets your needs. Drive the puck on, nobody is stopping you.
Most have their panties in a wad because government is helping to start the EV industry. Nobody can get the idea between their years that government is, and has been helping the mature and profitable oil industry for decades.
As for the "but you should be contributing a fair amount towards the road taxes." For decades the more efficient autos have been using more road/fuel tax dollar. EV just make that more pronounced. But when somebody came up with a idea, everybody report miles they drove, and pay a tax for that many miles. But the same people that have no issue with private companies collecting and selling every thing about them start shrieking "privacy!" when it comes to government knowing how far they drive.
"ONLY SEEMS TO BE CATERING TO THE URBAN CROWD" Why shouldn't the government help the most people, that drive the most total miles?

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/21/21 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

wanderingaimlessly wrote:


Scooby, I dont think it's "Anti ev" it's not wanting to be limited as in an ev.
For an urban grocery getter, have at it,,,,,, but you should be contributing a fair amount towards the road taxes. But the Pro EV clowns cant see the limits that the mode places on the "NON URBAN" folks, and DC ONLY SEEMS TO BE CATERING TO THE URBAN CROWD as of now.


Explain the limit to me. I bet you have a car that meets your needs. Drive the puck on, nobody is stopping you.
Most have their panties in a wad because government is helping to start the EV industry. Nobody can get the idea between their years that government is, and has been helping the mature and profitable oil industry for decades.
As for the "but you should be contributing a fair amount towards the road taxes." For decades the more efficient autos have been using more road/fuel tax dollar. EV just make that more pronounced. But when somebody came up with a idea, everybody report miles they drove, and pay a tax for that many miles. But the same people that have no issue with private companies collecting and selling every thing about them start shrieking "privacy!" when it comes to government knowing how far they drive.
"ONLY SEEMS TO BE CATERING TO THE URBAN CROWD" Why shouldn't the government help the most people, that drive the most total miles?

WOW< SO MUCH TO WORK WITH,,,, For starters, look at my post right above yours, obviously your did not prior to your spiel.
There still is no reason the ev drivers cant pay toward road taxes, The same states with the most restrictive rules otherwise ALSO have the most INSPECTION RULES. Mileage CAN be verified during that inspection, and add on taxes charged at the next license renewal.
AS to catering to the URBAN CROWD, why should the Government ONLY GOVERN FOR THEM?
if the majority of the roads are rural, if the majority of the nation is rural, shouldnt the majority of the rules be designed for them?
AND did you ever hear of folks in rural areas DEMANDING urban folks live the way rural folks want them to?
But the Urban bunch has no such inhibitions against demanding people in NON URBAN areas live their way.
There has to be balance, and so far,,,,,, It is all slanted ONE WAY. interesting add on to your comment about the government helping the most,,,,, EV's still represented ONLY8.3% of vehicles sold nationwide. SO again, why cater to the few and not the many??????

* This post was last edited 06/21/21 05:20pm by wanderingaimlessly *   View edit history

Bobbo

Wherever I park

Senior Member

Joined: 09/16/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/21/21 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Most have their panties in a wad because government is helping to start the EV industry.

Nobody would care if it truly WAS "helping to start the EV industry." The problem is that governments are MANDATING BEVs by a certain date. Subsidize the EV manufacturers all you want, but reverse the requirements for all EV by 2030 or 2035, or whatever year they choose. Have you not noticed that California has banned the sale of new fossil fuel cars by 2035?


Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

 > Looks like electric trucks and RVs may be delayed...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.