|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Hemet, CA to Klamath River RV Park, CA

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
gme3470

Redding, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The I5 to Hwy 20 route is an ideal way to go. Hwy 20 intersects Hwy 101 near Ukiah and then you can travel up 101 and experience the varying terrain up to Klamath. Hwy 36 from Red Bluff over is not suited for RVs and in fact has been closed or restricted for some time anyway. Hwy 299 over from Redding is very scenic but you would miss a lot of the 101 scenery.

2016 F250
Nash 25C

ford-willy

Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/21 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

The Oakland - Berkley route is my least favorite due to traffic. Check the Caldecott Tunnel restrictions if you go that way.

And the Red Bluff Redding routes to the coast are often a one time only.

Your input is always valued. No decision yet. Probably right, once trying the northern cross 5 to 101 we were soured. At our age the shorter road day the better. That is always in our plans now. The Caldecott Tunnel tip is appreciated and will search for current news. My wife when young lived in Gold Beach Or, trying for one more visit.

2009 Grand Junction 335TRL--2011 F350 Lariat 4X4 Dually Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel, 6 Speed Auto, 3:73 Gears--One Great Towing Machine.---------
2016 Forest River Salem T21RBS

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're in Eureka and heading to Astoria, will wave as we pass Gold Beach.

Traffic in N California is light compared to 2019. A lot of places closed and significant homeless people in Eureka.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

ford-willy

Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/21 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks CA Traveler and others for the advise on the 20. We will take it and avoid SF. By the way I just read this article about gas shortages in Northern California and the Pacific Northwest. Since your up there CA Traveler what have you seen? https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/06........tations-run-fuel-going-4th-july-weekend/

Baja Man

Inland Empire, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/22 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately, family circumstances did not allow us to take this trip last summer[emoticon].

However, we are ready and able to go this summer!!![emoticon]

The information all of you provided is invaluable; many thanks!

Now, not 100% sure quite yet, but I am considering making this a 3 day trip to get there.

Family would like to cross the Golden Gate going there. However, I do NOT like traffic especially towing my 25' Outback TT (30' overall ball to rear bumper).

Again, I'm leaving from SoCal desert area (Hemet, CA).

A few questions:

Is there a way to cross the GG without the traffic leading up to it? Family would love to cross over pulling our trailer (memories).

Safety and places to pull over for gas and rest are important.

We need Full hook ups when stopping overnight (son needs wi-fi for college courses) and our holding tanks are all small (30w, 30g, 30b).

If 2 days to get there....stops, RV parks, and hwys. to take?

If 3 days to get there....stops, RV parks, and hwys. to take?

MANY THANKS!!

2003 Ford F-350 XLT Super Duty, Crew Cab, V10 (6.8L); 4X2; Standard Bed; SRW; 4R100 trans
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/22 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SF is all surface streets to the GG. CG WiFi is often marginal.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/22 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Driving over the Golden Gate with a trailer coming from S.F. would not be a choice for me due to traffic and congestion. An alternative but longer trip plan if crossing the G.G. is that important is to cross over at Vallejo over to 101. Go south until you find an RV park near the G.G. bridge, unload your trailer to stay overnight. Then drive across the G.G. bridge and make a day of it by going to Fisherman's Wharf for a great fish dinner.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/22 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you really want to see the GG Bridge, I'd recommend staying at the Petaluma KOA and then parking near the foot of the bridge for a day trip.

Then walk out to the middle of the bridge. Stand there a good while, and chances are that a ship will pass underneath. My kids still remember that trip, and it was 30 years ago!

Bring sweatshirts -- it's often chilly and windy.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Baja Man

Inland Empire, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/22 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like this trip is back on... sometime in July/August!

Still not sure about going over the GG bridge towing a trailer. Trying to weigh the experience for my adult son and older teen and the traffic/stress. This is to be an enjoyable trip and most stress comes from towing.

Have any of you crossed towing a trailer?
What was the experience like?
Would you recommend it?

I think the suggestions about staying overnight at an RV park near the GG and then driving over/back (without towing trailer) for the experience, might be the best option for us.
Am I correct in thinking that if we stay at an RV park on the south side of the GG, this would mean driving over the GG (northbound) and then driving back (southbound) back to RV park?

With that said.....what would be the preferred places to stay (3 stop overs, with last one at/near GG with hook ups)?
Suggestions indicate that the 5/20/101 is preferable routes from SoCal.

Thanks!

* This post was edited 05/19/22 03:30pm by Baja Man *

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/22 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

San Francisco RV Resort in Pacifica is the best CG, $$$. Candlestick RV Park $$$$, overpriced but it has the location, adjacent to higher crime area so go directly on/off 101. There are several in Daly City plus further south.

I’ve taken 280, 19ave, GG Bridge many times with the current rig and toad. Yes it’s 7 miles of city driving, 2/3 lanes stay center/right lane, mid day only, I don’t have the aversion to this route that many do. NEVER TAKE A RV ON 101 THROUGH SF.

SF has a homeless/drug problem like many other cities. Stay in the tourist areas. Never park and put something in the trunk, never leave anything in the vehicle, they are watching.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Hemet, CA to Klamath River RV Park, CA
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.