|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Texas Drivers License Hassle

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I moved to Texas from Arizona not long ago and have been trying for months to get my TX drivers license. The holdup is the local social security administration. I had applied for a replacement social security card a couple of months ago (SS card is necessary for TX DL), and they're so backed up, I guess because of Covid, they haven't even looked at my paperwork yet. The problem is, my AZ DL will expire at the end of August. That means I'll be driving without a license and whenever I apply again I'll need to take a road test, a hassle I don't look forward to. The way things are right now, I don't really expect the SSA to send my SS card by that time. At least my vehicle is licensed and insured in TX. All I need is the DL.

I wonder how many other people are having a similar problem in TX. I'm thinking that perhaps the SSA can send me a letter stating that my request is in process, or something like that, in case I get stopped by police for some reason. I sometimes wonder if I should have stayed in AZ. I think the DMV there isn't as difficult to work with than here in TX.

EDIT: Just called the local SSA today, and they still haven't gotten to my request. However, I requested that a letter be mailed to me stating that my request is in process, and that's being done. I don't know if law enforcement will accept that, but there's nothing else I can do. The official at the TX DMV gave me the impression there's nothing they can do either, so I would need to cease driving and I guess, take public transportation. I don't think so! [emoticon]

* This post was edited 06/21/21 11:10am by mr. ed *

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

fred42

Charlotte, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 03:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr. Ed,

I have no direct knowledge of this, but from the link below, it looks like there are alternative documents you can use to verify your SSN.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/driver-license/social-security-number-ssn

Quote:

Acceptable Documents

The Department requires one of the following primary documents for evidence of social security number for Texas driver license and identification card issuance. The document presented can be expired or unexpired but must have the individual's full SSN printed on it. Documentation must be unaltered originals, not copies.

Social Security Card
W-2
SSA-1099 Form
A non-SSA-1099 form, or
Paystub with the applicant's name and SSN on it.

Should an individual be unable to provide one of the documents listed above, the Department will accept any of the following documents as evidence of social security number.

Military identification (active, reserve, and dependent status)
Must contain applicant’s social security number
Certificate of release or Discharge of Active Duty (DD-214)
Certified college/university transcript designating number as SSN
Documents such as health insurance cards, Veteran's Administration cards, and pilot's licenses with identifiable SSN may be accepted.

Any of the following documents will be accepted to verify a SSN. The document presented can be expired or unexpired but must have the individual's full SSN printed on it. Documentation must be unaltered originals, not copies.

Social Security card
Pilot license
Military identification (active, reserve, retired or dependent status)
Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE).
DD-214
Medicare or Medicaid card
Health insurance card
Certified college or university transcript
IRS form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement
Form 1099-MISC
Pay stub (stub must include name and SSN)

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/21 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

I moved to Texas from Arizona not long ago and have been trying for months to get my TX drivers license. The holdup is the local social security administration. I had applied for a replacement social security card a couple of months ago (SS card is necessary for TX DL), and they're so backed up, I guess because of Covid, they haven't even looked at my paperwork yet. The problem is, my AZ DL will expire at the end of August. That means I'll be driving without a license and whenever I apply again I'll need to take a road test, a hassle I don't look forward to. The way things are right now, I don't really expect the SSA to send my SS card by that time. At least my vehicle is licensed and insured in TX. All I need is the DL.

I wonder how many other people are having a similar problem in TX. I'm thinking that perhaps the SSA can send me a letter stating that my request is in process, or something like that, in case I get stopped by police for some reason. I sometimes wonder if I should have stayed in AZ. I think the DMV there isn't as difficult to work with than here in TX.

EDIT: Just called the local SSA today, and they still haven't gotten to my request. However, I requested that a letter be mailed to me stating that my request is in process, and that's being done. I don't know if law enforcement will accept that, but there's nothing else I can do. The official at the TX DMV gave me the impression there's nothing they can do either, so I would need to cease driving and I guess, take public transportation. I don't think so! [emoticon]

one option MAY be to provide a copy,of the first page of your most recent federal tax return (with alll of the numerical data blacked out). your SS# is on that page. worth a try.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, both of you, for your kind assistance. The unfortunate situation is ALL of my personal documents were stolen along with my vehicle in Albuquerque a couple of years ago. I’ve managed to get a certified copy of my birth certificate but I haven’t paid taxes in years, so I don’t have anything from the IRS to show as proof. The VA managed to provide a document in lieu of the DD-214 that has my SS # on it, but I brought it to the DMV today and they wouldn’t accept it

Anyhow, I filled out the form for SS replacement card again, and will mail it this time instead of dropping in the box at the SS office like first time. Perhaps that document and supporting paperwork have been mishandled or lost. I would love to meet with a SS agent, but they’re only doing that for new applicants. This situation has been pretty stressful, as you can imagine. Yes, the wheels of the gov’t turn slowly but this time there’s an excuse: COVID 19.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/21 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quick answer, Drive to AZ. and renew your current license, then when SS comes through dothe exchange.

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/21 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't you print a replacement card online from SS?

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/21 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jetboater454 wrote:

I had no idea that could be done...sounds too easy, but I'll check on that. Thanks.
Also, I don't have a printer, though I know they're cheap (around $20 at WM).
My other thought is possibly go to an income tax agency, like H & R Block. Perhaps they can dig something up with my SS # on it.

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/21 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jetboater454 wrote:

no

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/21 11:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, I lived in Texas when these requirements came into play and I had to get a Texas (vs. Alaska) DL....I would advise waiting until your replacement SS card shows up.

The same regs were in place and I thought I was good to go with my pilot license and a 1099 (both of which carried my SSN). After going through Houston traffic and fighting my way to the local DPS / license station (about a 4 hour event all told after waiting in line), the agent would not accept anything except a SS card. I pointed out the regs, a supervisor got involved, and the question was put to me, why didn't I have a SS card? My explanation that I lost it, that I was trying to comply with Texas regs (surrender the out of state license in 30 days), etc didn't cut it and apparently raised suspicions.

Deciding not to fight city hall, I just drove with my AK license for a couple months beyond what I was supposed to until my SS card came in. Never got any queries about it, but didn't get pulled over in that time either.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/21 11:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SS online replacement 7-10 days. at least when i logged into mine.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Texas Drivers License Hassle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.