|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Texas Drivers License Hassle

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/21 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting development: I went to the UPS store this morning, where I have my mailbox, to mail the completed form and required documents to the local SSA office via certified mail, and in my mailbox was a letter from the SSA office stating that I hadn’t provided a certain document and therefore couldn’t be processed. Evidently they finally found the documents I had originally placed in the drop box at their location. So by sending the new form and documents via certified mail I’ll have a record that it was received. No more guessing.

I’m pretty certain I included the proper documents this time with the form (a copy of my medical record from the local VA, containing my name and DOB. Interestingly it also shows my SS# on several pages! If that doesn’t satisfy them, nothing will. [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/21 03:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your dealing with the government. Just because all the documents include your SS number,name,first born,ect doesn't mean they will accept that.[emoticon]

They don't even accept your old drivers license with your pic on it for renewal.[emoticon]

But good luck.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/21 12:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I figure you don't have a passport?

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ">
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/21 07:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jarlaxle wrote:

I HAD a passport at one time, but as I mentioned, ALL my sensitive documents were lost during a vehicle theft a couple of years ago.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/21 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jetboater454 wrote:

Your dealing with the government. Just because all the documents include your SS number,name,first born,ect doesn't mean they will accept that.[emoticon]

They don't even accept your old drivers license with your pic on it for renewal.[emoticon]

But good luck.

I accept what your saying. But that must mean there are a lot of people out there who may never receive their replacement SS card since it's become virtually imposable to supply the proper documents. There's no common sense in some of the things the gov't does.[emoticon]

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/21 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

Jarlaxle wrote:

I HAD a passport at one time, but as I mentioned, ALL my sensitive documents were lost during a vehicle theft a couple of years ago.

Might it be easier to replace that than your SS card...?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/........ve-passport/lost-stolen.html#replacelost

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/21 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

jetboater454 wrote:

But good luck.

I accept what your saying. But that must mean there are a lot of people out there who may never receive their replacement SS card since it's become virtually imposable to supply the proper documents. There's no common sense in some of the things the gov't does.[emoticon]

One major reason my wife got a passport is that she CAN'T provide a birth certificate (born in Havana). My uncle is in a similar situation-fortunately, he also has a passport. (His original birth certificate no longer exists.)

tommyznr

NR, WI

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/21 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get why they need all of that information for a Real ID/Drivers License so I assume that either Texas does not have a non-Real ID drivers license or you did not want one.

A few months ago, I had to renew my license and I decided to get the Real ID as I travel often for work. I went to the DOT website and found the lists of items needed. I proceeded to bring my soon to expire drivers license, passport and certified birth certificate. Went through the process and came to the final stage and they said I needed something with my proof of address. This was not on the list that I found online and I asked why my old drivers license would not suffice. They had no answer it just is as it is. Luckily, I had my registration in my truck and that worked for some reason as it had my address on it.

It turns out that among the many pages and links on the DOT website I was the one lucky one who found an outdated link and list of items needed. They didn't care when I gave them that feedback.

Tom

2017 GMC Sierra SLT, Max Tow package
2018 Grand Design Reflection 295RL

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/21 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jarlaxle wrote:

mr. ed wrote:

Jarlaxle wrote:

Might it be easier to replace that than your SS card...?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/........ve-passport/lost-stolen.html#replacelost

You know, that’s something to be considered. At least I do have my birth certificate (I had ordered a certified copy after mine was lost). If my latest attempt for a SS card doesn’t work I may do just that (does a passport request require a SS card?) If so I may just need to give up. [emoticon]

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/21 01:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tommyznr wrote:

I get why they need all of that information for a Real ID/Drivers License so I assume that either Texas does not have a non-Real ID drivers license or you did not want one.

A few months ago, I had to renew my license and I decided to get the Real ID as I travel often for work. I went to the DOT website and found the lists of items needed. I proceeded to bring my soon to expire drivers license, passport and certified birth certificate. Went through the process and came to the final stage and they said I needed something with my proof of address. This was not on the list that I found online and I asked why my old drivers license would not suffice. They had no answer it just is as it is. Luckily, I had my registration in my truck and that worked for some reason as it had my address on it.

It turns out that among the many pages and links on the DOT website I was the one lucky one who found an outdated link and list of items needed. They didn't care when I gave them that feedback.

All I want is just a simple TX DL so I’ll be legal if stopped by law enforcement. There are stiff penalties in TX for driving with an expired license, which include going to court and possible vehicle impoundment on the spot, not to mention stiff fines. I have until end of Aug 2021 to accomplish all of this. It’s not a long way off..

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Texas Drivers License Hassle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.