|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Just an observation and wondering

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have driven the Toyota Prius when they first came on the market years ago. I liked it and it ran fine with no problems, even in the summer.
If, there is nothing (NO engine) but an electric motor to make these new electric cars go, what powers the A/C and on these days here in the South with 90 percent humidity and 90 degrees?
I guess I am just old school and don't understand how this kind of setup could be of value for anything other than driving to the market and back.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It (AC) runs on an electric motor.

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The same battery that motorvates you from point A to point B, but in the summer, they better be closer together, with fewer traffic standstills.

lryrob9301

Mid-Atlantic

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/21 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

The same battery that motorvates you from point A to point B, but in the summer, they better be closer together, with fewer traffic standstills.

Correct, in hot or cold weather your mileage between recharges will decrease by about 50%. Just one of the things they don't tell you in the advertising, like for every 10mph you drive over 35mph your recharge mileage decreases by 8%. So when you drive 65mph your recharge mileage is decreased by 24% from the advertised optimum mileage between recharges.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD V6

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DC Compressor for A/C Unit

DC Heater Element/grid for Heat

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis

Near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/21 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just like current Chevy 1500 truck power steering…electricity. See a pattern here?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

News on the EV front! Long Beach California charges its city buses by....picking up passengers. Wireless technology has improved so much, charging is as simple as pulling up and..that's it. Just like a smart phone (not mine) or watch, you can charge effortlessly. The charging system is embedded in the road. This will become more widespread soon....mostly in metropolitan ares, of course.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

News on the EV front! Long Beach California charges its city buses by....picking up passengers. Wireless technology has improved so much, charging is as simple as pulling up and..that's it. Just like a smart phone (not mine) or watch, you can charge effortlessly. The charging system is embedded in the road. This will become more widespread soon....mostly in metropolitan ares, of course.

It's highly doubtful that it will become too widespread. Inductive charging is significantly less efficient than a direct electrical connection (especially at the distances the bus is from the pavement, and the imprecision in its stopping), and having a big enough electromagnet there to supply a usable amount of charge very quickly starts to make things look and act like an induction range or MRI machine. I bet the majority of the charging for the busses still happens at the depot during off hours.

Wireless charging makes a lot more sense for razors, toothbrushes, cell phones, and similar low power devices.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/21 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsedoc wrote:

I have driven the Toyota Prius when they first came on the market years ago. I liked it and it ran fine with no problems, even in the summer.
If, there is nothing (NO engine) but an electric motor to make these new electric cars go, what powers the A/C and on these days here in the South with 90 percent humidity and 90 degrees?
I guess I am just old school and don't understand how this kind of setup could be of value for anything other than driving to the market and back.
Separate electric motor drives the A/C. In many EVs the cooling system also serves as a heat pump when needed. The A/C with a separate motor is more efficient as the compressor can be driven at the correct speed instead of up and down at the engine speed. The cooling system in most EVs also cools the battery when needed. The cooling system works quite well using about 5% of the range in hot conditions. EV can be pre-cooled or pre-heated before you drive using utility power if connected. Even inside your closed garage.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

even in non hybrids electric power steering, and even AC, brake booster, water pump etc. are becoming common. reduces engine drag, only operates when needed, improves fuel economy. No reason to run the power steering when stopped, and less assist is needed at higher speeds,

On our acura mdx hybrid everything typically driven off the serpentine belt is GONE, all now electric.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Just an observation and wondering
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.