|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Truck - family of 5 and 65lb dog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Jackathan

Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 01:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry pic didn't work.

Timmo!

South-central Oregon...on the river

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/21 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the best things i did when we first bought our trailer was to experience first hand what goes on inside the TT. A 20 minute ride (with wifey behind the wheel) on one of the Death Valley dirt roads was like an E-Ticket Disney ride.

Being a native born Cali boy, I've experienced many earthquakes, but nothing like went on inside my 21' TT rolling down a smooth dirt road. IMO, the noise alone would be enough to cause a docile guard dog to become an over anxious foo foo lap dog.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! wrote:

One of the best things i did when we first bought our trailer was to experience first hand what goes on inside the TT. A 20 minute ride (with wifey behind the wheel) on one of the Death Valley dirt roads was like an E-Ticket Disney ride.

Being a native born Cali boy, I've experienced many earthquakes, but nothing like went on inside my 21' TT rolling down a smooth dirt road. IMO, the noise alone would be enough to cause a docile guard dog to become an over anxious foo foo lap dog.

The next best thing you could do is realize that not all RVs are like your apparent rattle trap.
This is almost laughable. Sure there are things that squeak and creak. Namely dishes and household items.
If it’s unreasonable to put even a pet in a reasonable condition (riding in a RV) then how do they sell sooooo many motorhomes?
Please do not confuse this with actual concerns like throwing fluffy the shitzerdoodle in the camper, no air ,locking the door and taking off across Death Valley in June ( or Washington State as may be the case currently).
To be fair, I’ve only ridden in TCs and a couple old motorhomes, so I look forward to seeing whether your statement is a gross exaggeration , when it comes to our trailer, now, but I have a hunch….

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Timmo!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/21 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Timmo! wrote:

The next best thing you could do is realize that not all RVs are like your apparent rattle trap.
This is almost laughable. Sure there are things that squeak and creak. Namely dishes and household items.
If it’s unreasonable to put even a pet in a reasonable condition (riding in a RV) then how do they sell sooooo many motorhomes?
Please do not confuse this with actual concerns like throwing fluffy the shitzerdoodle in the camper, no air ,locking the door and taking off across Death Valley in June ( or Washington State as may be the case currently).
To be fair, I’ve only ridden in TCs and a couple old motorhomes, so I look forward to seeing whether your statement is a gross exaggeration , when it comes to our trailer, now, but I have a hunch….

I share real life experiences. What exactly are you sharing? Speculative thoughts?

ktosv

Grand Rapids, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What are the ages of your kids? What kind of trips are you talking, 1-2 hour max or cross country? As great as my kids are, being able to put space between them proves invaluable at times…like when doing 3000 mile winter/spring break trips.

I now only have two that can’t keep their hands to themselves, but I have four that now fight for leg room.

Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! wrote:

I bet your wife was LOL as you got tossed around in the TT.

RoyJ

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If 4x4 is not required, an HDT is a very comfortable way to travel for a family + dog:

[image]

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 11:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^ Yup and the dog would be every bit as comfortable laying on the couch in the fiver.

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Timmo!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/21 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:

Timmo! wrote:

I bet your wife was LOL as you got tossed around in the TT.

Wifey gleefully seeks and has immense enjoyment when, in the rarest of occasions, I actually get tossed around.

I expected a mini earthquake ride, but what surprised me was all the squeaking noise. Nash TT are well made and fabricated with wooden framing; as wood flexes and is forgiving--hence the squeaking noise that came from everywhere: walls, roof, cabinetry, and doorways.

Anyone besides me, remember the cooking scene from the Lucy movie classic, The Long, Long Trailer? LOL, it was nothing like that inside my Nash, but all the water sloshed out of the dogs' water bowls.

Maybe if the TT had shock absorbers and anti sway system (instead of WD bars), things might have been different.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/21 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How different do you suppose the “ride” is between in a secured crate in a TT near the hitch and in a secured crate in the bed of a PU in terms of noise (rattling, squeaks, etc) and the bouncing/jarring? Most people seem to think dogs experience the same “ride” on the floor of a vehicle as we do sitting on the seats.

If you don’t know, crates make noise while traveling when inside the cab of a vehicle, in the bed of a PU, in a motor home, or in a trailer. Since we have a van with 7 crates right now (and as many as 9 in the past) know from personal experience. There’s a lot of noise while traveling on gravel roads.

Btw, items left on the table and counters of our Nash, stay there unless I need to brake very hard.

Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (semi-retired), Grant, Lee, Fern & Hattie
Sam the Maremma Sheepdog & Wendy the Kangal (at home guarding our flock)
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Truck - family of 5 and 65lb dog
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.