RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Can tires be off ground on auto leveling system?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can tires be off ground on auto leveling system?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/21 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're going to put blocks under the tires to prevent them from being off the ground, WHY did you buy an Auto Leveling System if you won't let it do it's job.
I've had tires just touching to off the ground by 4 or 5 inches. Hasn't broke our unit yet.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/21 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle.S wrote:

If you're going to put blocks under the tires to prevent them from being off the ground, WHY did you buy an Auto Leveling System if you won't let it do it's job.
I've had tires just touching to off the ground by 4 or 5 inches. Hasn't broke our unit yet.
My thoughts and experience as well.
I don't worry about it at all. But then, I do not have a Lippert frame! [emoticon] Just kidding around, not trying to start a war!

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/21 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"If it really is just touching (you can spin it by hand), that's really no better than off the ground."

That's my point!!!

Then don't do that.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/21 04:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

Why not attach rubber to the bottom of the jacks if you’re concerned about movement? That way you are just trading a tire for a post.

The concern isn't that they metal pads will slide but that the arms will bend. A rubber bottom does nothing to stop that.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/21 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone have any real experience or first hand knowledge of jack arms bending by having the wheels off the ground under normal camping circumstances? I've never heard of one. I know I have seen hundreds of various RV's with wheels in the air while camping. I don't recall any of them having an issue. My FW is far more stable on 6 jacks if I put the whole thing in the air than just the tires.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/21 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Far better to support the tires and use them as stabilizers as they are intended.

actualy the owners manual for mine states they are levelers not stabalizers, I think a lot of people thing they are the same thing as the old crank down jacks we use to use. they are engineered to be able to level and hold more than the weight of the rv.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/21 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 16k lb 5er with MORryde IS, and snap pads on the levelers. When IS was installed the tech lifted the whole trailer up for two days (and we slept in it) with the hydraulics - he didn’t even use backup blocking for support. Even when wheels and previous suspension was cut off so there was nothing but 2ft of space and the levelers between the frame and ground (NOT recommended when getting under it)!

After this experience I don’t worry at all if the auto level puts wheels in the air or not. Truth be told, there’s more stability if wheels are touching, but not so much I worry about it. We travel about half-time, switching campsites every couple/few days. I’d guess we have two, or all, wheels up about 25% of the time. Hasn’t been an issue in 2+yrs.

Ron & Pat
2013 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/21 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"If it really is just touching (you can spin it by hand), that's really no better than off the ground."

That's my point!!!

Then don't do that.

I have zero issue with one or all tires off the ground.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/21 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Does anyone have any real experience or first hand knowledge of jack arms bending by having the wheels off the ground under normal camping circumstances? I've never heard of one. I know I have seen hundreds of various RV's with wheels in the air while camping. I don't recall any of them having an issue. My FW is far more stable on 6 jacks if I put the whole thing in the air than just the tires.

Maybe if in an earthquake.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/21 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNRon wrote:

We have a 16k lb 5er with MORryde IS, and snap pads on the levelers. When IS was installed the tech lifted the whole trailer up for two days (and we slept in it) with the hydraulics - he didn’t even use backup blocking for support. Even when wheels and previous suspension was cut off so there was nothing but 2ft of space and the levelers between the frame and ground (NOT recommended when getting under it)!

After this experience I don’t worry at all if the auto level puts wheels in the air or not. Truth be told, there’s more stability if wheels are touching, but not so much I worry about it. We travel about half-time, switching campsites every couple/few days. I’d guess we have two, or all, wheels up about 25% of the time. Hasn’t been an issue in 2+yrs.

Same experience with ours, ZERO extra support. The tech was crawling around UNDER the RV a lot. MORryde is a big company, if it were a safety issue they would have supported the RV.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can tires be off ground on auto leveling system?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.