RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Found It, What a joke. Buying in 2021 LOL. You can keep it.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Found It, What a joke. Buying in 2021 LOL. You can keep it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/21 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^ There was a day when I wouldn’t have paid a dime more to get any of the fancy stuff in a truck. Now I probably wouldn’t buy a truck without it having virtually every available option.

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/21 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA12DRVR wrote:

Guess away to whatever degree you want. If commenting on the high price of new trucks is somehow offensive....

Nothing offensive about commenting on the price of new trucks.

Using misleading comparisons to prove a point then being evasive about the facts behind the comparison...that's a different story.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/21 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA12DRVR wrote:

Granted, decades have gone by but:

1800-ish Square foot town home, 1992: $25,000
Airworthy but not shiny 1946 PA-12 in 1998: $23,000
Cabin + 30-ish acres in Alaska semi-wilderness: 1999: $20,000
Total-ish: $68,000
New 2019 model in late 2019: F250 Lariat 4x4, diesel, etc : List (IIRC) $65, negotiated down to $58,000. I could barely stomach the idea of paying that much for a new truck in 2019...have to agree that now is not the time for new.
And what would have to pay for those things today? I bet in 1992 people were saying there is no way they would never pay $25,000 for a townhome, $23,000 for a 46 year old airplane or $20,000 for a cabin in the Alaskan wilderness.
Thirty years from today I am almost certain if you could get 2021 prices on most anything you would write the check without hesitation (if checks are still a thing).

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/21 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nv Guy wrote:

You guys have never bought a Raptor. Before all this covid craziness So Cal dealers added $10-$25K to the price and what's really scary (and stupid) people pay it. This just isn't a Ford problem, all of these parasitic dealers do it.
You said people paid that price, so why is the dealer a parasite? I assume the buyers were not held at gunpoint. Maybe you could be the lead horse in a movement to sell things at the minimum price instead of the maximum. Maybe start with selling your personal vehicle and home and giving the buyer a surprise 25% discount after you have arrived at the negotiated price.
Real estate in my area has buyers entering bidding wars paying 10% or more over list price. Are the sellers parasites for selling over the list price? Are all the buyers "stupid", or are they just paying what it takes to get what they want? In my view of the world, if the buyer and seller reach a mutually acceptable price it is a fair deal unless there are true mitigating circumstances such as fraud or a truly mentally incompetent buyer or seller involved.

falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/21 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is not the time to be buying a vehicle....unless you have cash burning a hole in your pocket, yours blew up or you crashed it.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

falconbrother wrote:

This is not the time to be buying a vehicle....unless you have cash burning a hole in your pocket, yours blew up or you crashed it.

I agree. I was looking at Ram 1500 Hemis. Last year they were around $22-25k for a 15 with 70k ish miles. Now the same trucks are hovering around $30k. And 12-15 trucks with 120k+ miles are around $25k! No thanks. I’ll wait till the market dumps and then I’ll buy!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Capitalism is great, until you're on the receiving end of it.

I'm sure you'll call this price gouging, BUT price gouging is when the SELLER sets the price at something above retail to cash in on a shortage. There's laws against that.

Here, it's the BUYER offering more than retail for the item. There is no law against that.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

RetiredRealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If KBB says your truck is worth 51-58K, but the dealer only wants to give you 38K, for Pete's sake sell it yourself if you think you can get 51-58K.

Of course, do bear in mind the old cliche "the only 'book' that ever actually bought a truck is a checkbook!"

Also remember, dealers base their appraisals on actual auction results, not on KBB's mathematical formulas.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/21 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And when the year winds down, the prices will drop.

Aren't October-December the usual sweet months? When old and new inventory are on the books.

I remember one of my savvy clients swore that New Years eve was the best day to negotiate with MBZ dealers and would close the deal the following day on New Years day. Always drove off with a crazy bargain.

Let's Go Brandon!!!!
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Capitalism is great, until you're on the receiving end of it.

I'm sure you'll call this price gouging, BUT price gouging is when the SELLER sets the price at something above retail to cash in on a shortage. There's laws against that.

Here, it's the BUYER offering more than retail for the item. There is no law against that.

The thing you call "gouging" is a self correcting pricing.

There was a gas station in NJ that made arrangements for a generator to run the whole gas station, staged fuel delivery trucks out of state before hurricane sandy came through. He advertised fuel at a much higher price, to cover his increased costs, and I'm sure additional profit. So, since the state got involved, he shut down, leaving nobody with gas at any price.

Companies charge too much, other entrepreneurs will come along and find a cheaper way to supply product or services.

Gouging is a media term.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Found It, What a joke. Buying in 2021 LOL. You can keep it.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.