RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: expedition or tahoe for 33' TT

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > expedition or tahoe for 33' TT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/22/21 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ejraste wrote:

carringb wrote:

What’s the trailer loaded weight? Length alone doesn’t mean much.

Chances are neither have anywhere near enough payload for that large of a trailer plus passengers. But some long TTs are surprisingly light. Real issue is tongue weight eating into payload.


Loaded weight of travel trailer around 7000-7200lbs. Payload of both seem to be around 1750lbs or real close.


If the payload is 1750, you are likely going to be around 7500-7750 with 1000lb hitch weight.

With that much length, you don't want to skimp on hitch weight.

What are the models you are looking at? That might give us a better feel for what you are really looking at.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/22/21 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Yet, any regular cab pickup truck which have comparable wheelbases to these SUVs, are PERFECTLY FINE to tow the same trailer?

This is where the wheelbase argument breaks down.


A low payload regular cab short bed certainly wouldn't be my preferred choice.

Reality is there are very few regular cab short bed 1/2 ton pickups on the road today...so your argument is a bit of a red herring.

Tal/IL

Central Illinois

Senior Member

Joined: 03/24/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/22/21 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm always curious when the wheelbase issue comes up. What length wheelbase does he need?

I've towed boats and equipment trailers all over creation with a '75 Ford Bronco with a 92 inch wheelbase and never had an issue. Plus, it makes backing into narrow ramps and tight spots much easier.


35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft


Ejraste

Pittsburgh

New Member

Joined: 07/06/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/22/21 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Ejraste wrote:

carringb wrote:

What’s the trailer loaded weight? Length alone doesn’t mean much.

Chances are neither have anywhere near enough payload for that large of a trailer plus passengers. But some long TTs are surprisingly light. Real issue is tongue weight eating into payload.


Loaded weight of travel trailer around 7000-7200lbs. Payload of both seem to be around 1750lbs or real close.


If the payload is 1750, you are likely going to be around 7500-7750 with 1000lb hitch weight.

With that much length, you don't want to skimp on hitch weight.

What are the models you are looking at? That might give us a better feel for what you are really looking at.
what models as far as tow vehicle? I already have the trailer and hitch, but my wife is in the market for new vehicles and if we can pull the trailer with the large suv, that’sa bonus.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/22/21 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

Length alone doesn’t mean much.


Maybe not for trailers, but I can think of a few things where it's more than a slight consideration....
Can't get to the bottom of the well with a short rope!


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/22/21 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tal/IL wrote:

I'm always curious when the wheelbase issue comes up. What length wheelbase does he need?

I've towed boats and equipment trailers all over creation with a '75 Ford Bronco with a 92 inch wheelbase and never had an issue. Plus, it makes backing into narrow ramps and tight spots much easier.


Yeah, I swear one of these days I'm gonna block the rear springs in my CJ5 and drop the toyhauler on the back hitch for a photo op.
Then photoshop that pic into a mountain road scene and absolutely freak out half the rvnet membership!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/22/21 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP, I'd at least consider a Expe EL or a Burb, but after hearing how much of a mortal sin it was, I pulled my 32' enclosed snomachine trailer up the mountain a couple years ago with a 2001 Tahoe.
Didn't even pop the 20 year old air ride, but I admittedly kept the tongue weight a bit light. Didn't need a repair project.
And my knuckles didn't even turn white!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/23/21 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ejraste wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Ejraste wrote:

carringb wrote:

What’s the trailer loaded weight? Length alone doesn’t mean much.

Chances are neither have anywhere near enough payload for that large of a trailer plus passengers. But some long TTs are surprisingly light. Real issue is tongue weight eating into payload.


Loaded weight of travel trailer around 7000-7200lbs. Payload of both seem to be around 1750lbs or real close.


If the payload is 1750, you are likely going to be around 7500-7750 with 1000lb hitch weight.

With that much length, you don't want to skimp on hitch weight.

What are the models you are looking at? That might give us a better feel for what you are really looking at.
what models as far as tow vehicle? I already have the trailer and hitch, but my wife is in the market for new vehicles and if we can pull the trailer with the large suv, that’sa bonus.


No what is the model of the trailer?

If you already have the trailer, have you taken it to the CAT scale to get real world weights?

Ejraste

Pittsburgh

New Member

Joined: 07/06/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/23/21 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Ejraste wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Ejraste wrote:

carringb wrote:

What’s the trailer loaded weight? Length alone doesn’t mean much.


No what is the model of the trailer?

If you already have the trailer, have you taken it to the CAT scale to get real world weights?


It’s a Salem cruise lite 28vbxl. The gvwr of trailer is 7700 lbs. I have not taken it to get weighed but I know I’m not putting more than a 1000 lbs so I’m going to be under 7200lbs.

pitch

NY

Senior Member

Joined: 06/08/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/23/21 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

I use an ExpeditionMAX to tow my 7000 pound boat. It does a much better job towing than the YukonXL Denali it replaced, but still not nearly as good as my RAM, but that really isn’t a fair comparison.

Stability with the Ex is fine. Power is really really good. The only issue I have is that it gets very hot (engine and tranny) towing I70 through the mountains in Colorado. If I were towing all the time in the mountains I’d be worried, but very few people do that.

Given those two choices, I’d go with the Expedition hands down. Huge advantage there is the engine - personally I’d never tow that much weight with a 5.3, and last I checked you can’t get the 6.2 except in the upper trim levels. That said, the 3.0 in a Tahoe would be intriguing.

{/quote}
Towing a boat is no comparison. Aerodynamics, weight distribution, wheel placement on the trailer are all different than an RV or other trailer.
I know you are trying to be helpful,but your answer has no relationship to the query.

As far as “tail wagging the dog” on a long trailer, I believe all modern tow vehicles use the trailer brakes to eliminate sway. I know I’ve never felt it with my boat.


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > expedition or tahoe for 33' TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.