|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> fuel additives

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trackrig wrote:

If you drive in colder areas where they switch to #1 diesel in the winter, then you need it during the winter. To make #1 diesel so it flows better (doesn't turn to slush) in the winter, they take some of the wax out of it which in turn takes the lubricity out of it which in turns means you can loose your expensive injector pump.

When running #1 fuel, use the additive. If all you run is #2 fuel living in a warmer climate, then don't worry about it.

Bill

up here in canada, they put the additives in the fuel to keep it from gelling before it gets to the fuel station, don't they down there?

Aside from fuel system cleaners once and a while, I have run several and all have made no difference, although there is one additive I have been watching the test results for, it was designed or what ever by Pitsburg power and has been doing wondering in the highway tractor world and even thoes people that use it in there personal vehicles are saying they are getting amazing results. it was designed to help keep the system clean, sensors and all that stuff, but they have found there is a boost in gas milage also. when I find where I can buy it with out shipping from the US I am going to try that one.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Since 2013 Cummins/RAM have a great filtering system that will help keep the fuel system in good health.

Filters have nothing to do with carbon build-up on injectors from the combustion process or the added soot production from lower cetane fuel. Filters only remove contaminants/water in the fuel. Additives alter how the fuel combusts and the deposits it leaves behind after it combusts. Additives may also add additional lubrication which may or may not be needed based on the quality and type of fuel you are using.

In fact, after doing a quick Google search, your favorite lubricant maker has a short blog article sort of explaining what I have been saying. There is more to it than this, but the basics are there. And as they point out, most refiners only go by federal or state minimum requirements. There is no incentive for them to do more than that.

AMZOIL-What Is Diesel Cetane and Why Does It Matter?

* This post was last edited 06/25/21 01:11pm by ShinerBock *   View edit history

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Since 2013 Cummins/RAM have a great filtering system that will help keep the fuel system in good health.

Filters have nothing to do with carbon build-up on injectors from the combustion process or the added soot production from lower cetane fuel. Filters only remove contaminants/water in the fuel. Additives alter how the fuel combusts and the deposits it leaves behind after it combusts. Additives may also add additional lubrication which may or may not be needed based on the quality and type of fuel you are using.

In fact, after doing a quick Google search, your favorite lubricant maker has a short blog article sort of explaining what I have been saying. There is more to it than this, but the basics are there. And as they point out, most refiners only go by federal or state minimum requirements. There is no incentive for them to do more than that.

Understood, just saying the filtration has made it unusual for injectors to need to be replaced from poor filtration.

Based on that I see no need for fuel conditioner for the injectors.

I don't think lubrication plays kindly with the downstream emissions these days.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/21 01:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Since my 11 and now 15 RAM I have not used anything.

Prior I used a fuel conditioner or two cycle oil.

Ram didn't use the higher pressure CP4 pump till 2018.

Not sure how that relates to what I said?

It doesn't although it shows he's just commenting about something he knows nothing aboot.

If one had the IQ of a turnip, he would understand that the need for lubrication increases as the pressures increase.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

up here in canada, they put the additives in the fuel to keep it from gelling before it gets to the fuel station, don't they down there?

Same down here in the states. The fuel brands use different packet additives which are added at the fuel racks when the tanker takes on a load for delivery. See my reply on this thread on 6-24-'21 at 7:59 am about using one fuel supplier vs using different fueling stations which most owners are doing.
WE did have a forum member some years back who drove a fuel tanker and gave us insight on the packets....and sometimes those packets didn't get added.
I get a kick out of filling the fuel filter container on my '03 Dodge/Cummins with Power Service (white jug) when changing fuel filter. Crank it up and its so quiet and a big boost in seat of the pants performance for 5-10 miles.

My '03 Cummins HO just turned over 361k miles. I use mostly Power Service or Howes several times a year in the tank especially when I buy fuel from one source near me most of the time. I like how much quieter/towing performance the Cummins runs... till that tank is diluted with refills.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Understood, just saying the filtration has made it unusual for injectors to need to be replaced from poor filtration.

I don't think lubrication plays kindly with the downstream emissions these days.

How do the filters remove carbon buildup from the combustion process? [emoticon]

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you dried out a used fuel filter and brushed off the gunk. Then hit it with a propane torch. Wouldnt some of it turn to carbon? I was thinking a fuel filter probably does help to reduce carbon buildup over the years of use.

I wonder if high pollen areas are worse. That is a material that seems like it would burn into charcoal. Dirt maybe no so much. You can put out a fire with dirt. Wouldnt that be nice if dirt and sand produced tiny little microscopic diamonds out the tailpipe?!??

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

How do the filters remove carbon buildup from the combustion process? [emoticon]

I give! Never said that.

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I give! Never said that.

You said "filtration has made it unusual for injectors to need to be replaced from poor filtration. Based on that I see no need for fuel conditioner for the injectors." so how do filters effect excess carbon from the combustion process from using a lower quality fuel or fuel with the minimum cetane rating that is lower than what your engine was optimized to run on? Filters do nothing for this, only additives do.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cmon shiner. Don’t play 4x4ord with 12V.
You’re a smart enough guy to realize that he’s a smart enough guy to realize that fuel filters don’t control combustion chamber deposits.
There’s a difference between people who may mis speak a bit and those that die on the sword of falsehoods (of which there are plenty on this site, unfortunately).

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> fuel additives
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.