|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> LED Ceiling Lights

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/21 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a fire safe temp fix you could poke some holes in aluminum foil. Then try to crimp it around the lens. Might hold itself in place.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/21 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check carefully as incandescents take 6x+ the power (hence heat) of LEDs. Could also be a wire size issue.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

frankwp

Calgary, AB, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/21 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Check carefully as incandescents take 6x+ the power (hence heat) of LEDs. Could also be a wire size issue.

This. An LED fixture is not designed for the high temps & heat output of incandescent lamps. Just get new lamps with a warmer color temperature.

2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/21 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree with others regarding swapping incandescent lights in place of LEDs. You would need to carefully assess the wire size, fuse size, and heat resistance.

If you can find a make or model of the fixture you have it might help. LEDs come in a variety of colors and brightness ratings. However, finding something that would adapt to your existing fixture or be a drop in replacement may be more difficult. Dimmers are an option for some, but not all LED fixtures, but it may be difficult to install a dimmer or dimmers depending on how easy it is to access your wiring. You might be able to install dimmers at the wall switch location depending on how many fixtures you have on a switch and what type of switches you have.

In our travel trailer, I moved the over the bed reading lights down below the bedside cabinets and replaced them with different fixtures and dimmers, but these would look quite out of place in the middle of the ceiling.

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of my ceiling fixtures have been fluorescent and I just strip out the fluorescent lites and ballast and put in the LED strips that I like. The biggest problem is shopping for LEDs because so few of the manufacturers give the full specifications and sometimes their light color description is not accurate.
I started using really high lumen LEDs with a high side dimmer so I can have bright light when I want it and dim them when I don’t. I wasn’t sure how well the dimmer would work but I am really happy with it. It merely dims and does not change the light color at all. The older I get the brighter the light is needed! Craig

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> LED Ceiling Lights
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.