|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> RV Manners Matter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/21 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

A "pet peeve" of mine {pun intended} are those stupid extendable dog leashes. Folks, what part of keep your dog on a 6' leash do you not comprehend? On more than one occasion our dog was minding her own business on her bed, attached to a 6' leash, in our site when some fools dog 30' out in front of them comes charging our dog.

Those that have these leashes should do a little research on line as these are one of the most dangerous consumer items you will ever encounter. Injuries ranging from broken bones to fingers being severed are fairly common. You cannot control any dog that is 10, 20 or 30' out in front of you and anything beyond 6' is no longer in compliance with the CG rules.

Rant off... for now but yes, as a matter of fact I do feel better for having vented.

[emoticon]

Oh I hate those stupid leashes! If the dog is running out, there is no way to pull them back in.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

RHasse

So Cal

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm fairly news to this forum, but not so new to RVing, been at it since I was a teen traveling with my parents. And I know things have changed a lot since those old days, but my bit of unsolicited advise for being considerate to your neighbors is, turn off the generator. Seriously, if you're boondocking out by yourselves, than go ahead and let 'er rip. If you're in a campground with others, without full hookups, just plan to do without the modern conveniences that require AC power, use your batteries and propane and save your neighbors from having to listen to your generator.

Earlier this year we did an extended weekend out in the So Cal desert in a campground with no hookups, one clueless TT'er started up his generator Saturday evening and it ran for about 4 hours. When he finally shut it down the entire campground broke out in applause. Please be considerate, turn it off.

* This post was edited 07/09/21 06:28am by an administrator/moderator *

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/21 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had to revive this one.
This past weekend sitting in my site at 9:15 PM and three golf carts decide to park on the road about 100 feet from my site and chat. No problem with that but the ungodly bright LED off road lights aiming into my site blinding me was a bit much after 5 minutes or so.
I was "that guy" and yelled "Either turn the lights off or move on" Lights stayed on for about 10 seconds until the neighboring camper yelled "Kill the lights" much louder than I did.
Next day.... Sitting in the chair by the fire reading a book and listening to quiet music coming from my camper speakers. All of a sudden loud music starts playing from across the small creek and 40 feet of woods. So loud I can not even hear the music coming out of the speakers I am sitting 10 feet from. I gave it a few minutes. Thinking maybe they just really liked the song that was on. Next song came on and volume didn't change. I walked over to a site where 3 twenty something year old males are sitting within 5 feet of the blue tooth speaker. As one saw me coming toward their site he lowered the music and I politely asked if they could turn it down. I explained that as soon as they turned it on I could no longer even hear my music. They said "Yes sir, no problem."

* This post was edited 08/03/21 09:38am by schlep1967 *

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/21 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Schlep - the good thing is that they turned it down when you asked. To me, that is "polite enough" and I take no issue.

I have found that sometimes those twenty-something males end up being better camping neighbors than families or older folks. Often, they are profiled by the rangers as trouble, so they try hard not to upset other campers and get kicked out.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/21 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I travel in an RV in order to get out into the National Parks and other scenic areas. I want peace and quiet when I return from a day of hiking or whatever. Instead I often find that many people seem to enjoy sitting in the campground, drinking beer, cooking and playing music. I do not travel to make friends, share some beers and I certainly don't want to listen to anyone's music or their dogs or kids.

I fall into the category of a grouchy old man. I try to avoid RV parks and established campgrounds.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/21 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Schlep - the good thing is that they turned it down when you asked. To me, that is "polite enough" and I take no issue.

I have found that sometimes those twenty-something males end up being better camping neighbors than families or older folks. Often, they are profiled by the rangers as trouble, so they try hard not to upset other campers and get kicked out.

They were very polite about it. I realize sometimes others just do not think about their surroundings.

They did seem to be burning a good bit of "grass" over there so maybe they just didn't want a whole lot of attention paid to them. [emoticon]

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another one:
Don't ask other RVers to trade campsites with you. And especially do not ask them to move so your buddies can camp next to you. Remember, it takes a couple of hours to set up camp. Their vacation time is at a premium just like yours.

If you want to camp next to family or buddies, make sure you make site specific reservations to make that happen. Otherwise, leave the other campers alone. The other campers are trying to enjoy their time too.

"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Picked up the new TC and first night camped in Bighorn NF. Of course the nearby camper ran their loud generator all night after it ran all day......AC wasn't close to being necessary. Just at dark, 9:30 or so, the campground came alive w trucks and a SxS(same campers w genny) creeping around and idling for extended times till well after 11pm.

Are folks so fixated on motors that they just can't stand quiet, much less silence? Or is it more "look at me w my toys!"

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/21 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

They were very polite about it. I realize sometimes others just do not think about their surroundings.

They did seem to be burning a good bit of "grass" over there so maybe they just didn't want a whole lot of attention paid to them. [emoticon]

I think sometimes, they just figure "do it and see if anyone complains". They expect to have to turn it down but hope they won't.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/21 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magnusfide wrote:

Another one:
Don't ask other RVers to trade campsites with you. And especially do not ask them to move so your buddies can camp next to you. Remember, it takes a couple of hours to set up camp. Their vacation time is at a premium just like yours.

If you want to camp next to family or buddies, make sure you make site specific reservations to make that happen. Otherwise, leave the other campers alone. The other campers are trying to enjoy their time too.

Yes. And don't take someone else's reserved spot and then complain that it will be too much work for you to move when they show up.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> RV Manners Matter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.