RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Smaller Holding Tanks...What to do when NO hookups??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Smaller Holding Tanks...What to do when NO hookups??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/21 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

Never heard of so much compromising to go camping.....flush toilet with dish water, shower with a baby wipe.
How about dishes with black tank ? Lol
Sorry

A lot of this is just the era. Growing up, when we camped, we didn't have showers at the campground. Getting dirty was part of camping. At the end of the week, you sloughed all that dirt off in the shower when you got home.

Prior generations took a bath once a week. Nowadays, many people take two showers a day.

And people now use the term "camping" to mean other than spending time out in the wilderness.

Add to that, "campgrounds" can include anything from a single pit toilet to multiple shower rooms and laundry facilities. There may or may not be hookups.

Depending on the region and/or climate (or individual camping site), water may be in endless supply or may be limited to what you carry with you upon arrival.

RVs can vary from having a 4gal cassette toilet only to a 15-100gal black tank plus a 15-100gal gray tank.

The number of people in a single RV can range from one to 8-10 people and the RV size may not be in direct proportion.

All that means is that for some, water conservation is a big deal and for others it is completely unnecessary.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

mockturtle

AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/21 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In much of the West we conserve water. YMMV.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

kellem wrote:

Never heard of so much compromising to go camping.....flush toilet with dish water, shower with a baby wipe.
Sorry

RVs can vary from having a 4gal cassette toilet only to a 15-100gal black tank plus a 15-100gal gray tank.

My Momentum has a claimed 104 black, 104 grey,155 fresh.... And to top it off, it actually holds more in all tanks than claimed.... I measure it when new, so I know where I stand. Have done this on all of my RVs, and this is the first one to exceed the claims. All of the others fell short of spec.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
Full Body Paint, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
1020 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/21 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

kellem wrote:

Sorry

My Momentum has a claimed 104 black, 104 grey,155 fresh.... And to top it off, it actually holds more in all tanks than claimed.... I measure it when new, so I know where I stand. Have done this on all of my RVs, and this is the first one to exceed the claims. All of the others fell short of spec.

My trailer has a 20gal fresh tank that only holds 15-18gal and a 20gal grey tank plus a cassette toilet.

This shows just how much capacities vary.

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IF you want to boondock for as long as possible then you compromise on the things that will otherwise end your trip. Camping at a campground or camping for one night is a lot different than boondocking where there is no water, no hookups, no electricity. Water, then power (unless solar or gen) then propane dictate your stay length. Carry extra or use less.

**also, Toadtoes, your 20 gallon tank might hold 20 gallons but the outlet to the water pump is an inch high, so there could be 1-2 gallons (more if the outlet is higher) left in the tank when you run dry. Then you have to tilt the trailer to get a little more...Then there is that same 1-2 gallons or more of dead air at the top if the air vent is on the side of the tank as many are. so you have 2 gallons of unreachable water at the bottom topped off by 2 gallons of useless air at the top, so, yes, your 20 gallon tank could be as you say...

* This post was edited 06/28/21 09:06am by mr_andyj *

Baja Man

Inland Empire, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/21 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions. Got it....t's all about compromises!
Lots of great ideas. I'll use the ones that apply to the scenario and work for us.

2003 Ford F-350 XLT Super Duty, Crew Cab, V10 (6.8L); 4X2; Standard Bed; SRW; 4R100 trans
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Smaller Holding Tanks...What to do when NO hookups??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.