|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Arco Norte Robbery

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
playaboy

riviera maya

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It can happen anywhere, not just the border area.

https://mexicodailypost.com/2021/06/24/40-motorists-massively-robbed-on-the-arco-norte-highway-within-the-state-of-tlaxcala/?fbclid=IwAR2RkLZFdKkw5Zm4qS-6OBruGfgsSYCq5ZrEB3sKezgIIKRHWfsl6O5aPJw

Wm.Elliot

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was last on the Arco Norte in February 2020. At that time I noticed a man watching traffic from overpasses out in the less populated areas. These men had some type of flag or cloth they would appear to use to signal others - not necessarily the traffic they were monitoring. We were traveling alone on a motorcycle so I was somewhat concerned about the intent. It might have been harmless and related to trucking but still it struck me - a 20 year visitor and traveler in Mexico - as something that could be worrisome.
Most if not all of these monitored overpasses had no exit or entrance ramps. I saw this at least 6 times at different overpasses in that area.

Galvanizd

Puerto Penasco Mexico.... For a bit.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/21 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was in the military, I lived in different countries. We were told to only carry minimal amounts of money and not flash expensive items. We carried enough money that any robbers wouldn't get too upset at what little money we had but enough to get by for the day. Probably a good rule of thumb for here in the U. S. and when we travel to Mexico

Wm.Elliot

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry two wallets - one hidden on the motorcycle (it's a 17 year old motorcycle worth less than $2K USD), two driver's licenses, two sets of debits cards, and extra cash.
Anyone who knows the values of motorcycles isn't likely to take ours.

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yesterday, on the autopista to Nuevo Laredo, a family was stopped by gunmen, robbed of their SUV, and left them high and dry at the top of Mamulique. The event was recorded by a trucker who was shot at in the incident.

Assaulted, Robbed, and Left On Autopista Laredo.

In addition, there have been over 100 people kidnapped since April on the highway between Km 26 and the Laredo bridge. No signs of anyone and no ransom asked for. Military, Guadia Nacional, and local police have done nothing. The only thing that helped the American family, mother, and two adolescents who disappeared two weeks ago was the intervention of the FBI last week. Still no signs.

We have been told by the governors of Nuevo Leon, Coahuila, Chihuahua and Durango, to steer clear of the border.

“El Bronco” advierte no viajar por la ca........ighway/Autopista Travel Monterrey/Laredo

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/21 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't imagine living/visiting a place where I'm not allowed to properly defend myself and family. I just don't like depending on some thug's mercy.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

playaboy

riviera maya

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

None of this violence is new. It happens everyday. It has been going on for decades all over the country.

There is no difference between the government, police, military, and the mafia.

Without consequences for committing crime it will continue.

It will not stop until the "people" arm themselves and fight (KILL) for their freedom.

OR

Have you hugged your favorite criminal today???

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

playaboy wrote:

None of this violence is new. It happens everyday. It has been going on for decades all over the country.

There is no difference between the government, police, military, and the mafia.

Without consequences for committing crime it will continue.

It will not stop until the "people" arm themselves and fight (KILL) for their freedom.

OR

Have you hugged your favorite criminal today???

Wow, I guess that's what makes it such a great place to come and visit!

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/21 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow. Talk about extreme. If it is that bad why do you stay there?

Wm.Elliot

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've traveled in Mexico for 21 years. There has always been an overstated degree of risk that I have thankfully never experienced. We were warned in San Antonio (1999) that in taking our 13 year old daughter into Mexico we risked her being kidnapped and her organs being harvested. Some of the most startling warnings came from people who were born in Mexico and now lived in the United States.
Like many other things in life there's a huge difference in what we hear versus what we actually experience. Danger is a state of mind more than a set reality. Sure, bad things happen in Mexico. Bad things happen here in the US.
Stories like the Arco Norte robbery should serve to expand our understanding of risks rather than to scare tourists away.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Arco Norte Robbery
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.