RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Maintaining air pressure in your tires

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Maintaining air pressure in your tires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was at a CG when i checked my psi and the valve stem was so loose on my inner tire that the air was quickly leaking out. The cap temporarily sealed it until i was able to repair it.
A valve core tool like the OP suggests is the the thing that i didn’t have in my toolbox. I had the toad to drive and an auto parts store was nearby.
I used my ViAir rv inflator to set all 6 tires to proper psi the day before i departed my site.
klutchdust, I too use a rubber mallet to check my tires at rest stops. My dw wants to know if she can use it tap my head from time to time.

RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/21 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We run with the Borg dually solid metal long stems on the rear with TST TPMS. Have been running this more than 10 years.

TPMS allows a quick check for any slow leaks after stopped at destination and also the sensors will immediately broadcast a fast leak warning if it occurs.

I had belt separation on an inner dual and got warning on the TST TPMS. The warning came in the form of the inner dual pressure starting to increase as the tire diameter started to increase and unloaded the outside tire. Fortunately we were 200 yards from a tire store when the tire started to disintegrate. Limped over at 5 mph. I am on my second set of much tougher all steel cased commercial tires as a result.

The TPMS allows comparing the tires in real-time while driving and learn to read the tire characteristics of each position. Have noted the following characteristics from over 10 years of glance observations:
1) Slightly increased pressure of inner vs outer tire.
2) Heating from tailpipe.
3) Heating from sun shining on one side vs other
4) Typical pressure rise
5) Pressure rise due to hot asphalt highways in summer
6) Much hotter running front tires due to engine proximity and sensors on short stems close to wheels

2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

" My dw wants to know if she can use it tap my head from time to time. "

At least your Dw asked first.

btim

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have TPMS on my Class C E450. I keep the tires inflated to mfr recommended psi. I also keep the TPMS display on while driving so I can monitor the pressures. I get a bit alarmed watching the pressures rise as I travel, especially in hot weather. Is it normal to see the pressures go from 80psi to 90psi or higher? I do not want a blowout! How accurate is the Ford TPMS system? It is usually within 1-2 PSI of my Slime tire pressure gage. But how accurate is that thing?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

btim wrote:

I have TPMS on my Class C E450. I keep the tires inflated to mfr recommended psi. I also keep the TPMS display on while driving so I can monitor the pressures. I get a bit alarmed watching the pressures rise as I travel, especially in hot weather. Is it normal to see the pressures go from 80psi to 90psi or higher? I do not want a blowout! How accurate is the Ford TPMS system? It is usually within 1-2 PSI of my Slime tire pressure gage. But how accurate is that thing?

Yup, 100% normal. PV = nRT

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

" My dw wants to know if she can use it tap my head from time to time. "

At least your Dw asked first.

[emoticon]

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

btim wrote:

Yes, it's normal for the pressure to go up that much with temperature while driving. That's why the pressures are stated as cold pressures. The tires and wheels are designed to withstand the additional pressure encountered while in use with a sufficient margin for safety (assuming you're not doing silly things like greatly exceeding the speed or weight ratings of the tires--particularly both at the same time).

If your slime guage is a digital gauge, it's almost certainly dead nuts accurate, or very close to that. If it's an analog/mechanical one, it may be a little less accurate, but the fact that it correlates well with the TPMS readings strongly suggests that both are plenty accurate for any practical use. Being one or two psi off isn't going to cause any trouble. Perhaps the place where precision matters the most is in matching pressures on the two tires on one side of a dually axle, and there it's matching closely to each other that demands the closest precision, rather than matching exactly the specification in absolute terms.

None of that, of course, is license to drive with significantly overinflated or underinflated tires, which is decidedly not safe.

btim

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Grit and Drew. We are headed cross country from Fla. to Yellowstone area this week. Hope the heat out west breaks soon.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A while back I stumbled upon an article that indicated the schrader valve isn't supposed to be the main device for holding air in a tire, the cap is.
I always buy metal caps with rubber seals just in case the schrader starts leaking.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

A while back I stumbled upon an article that indicated the schrader valve isn't supposed to be the main device for holding air in a tire, the cap is.
I always buy metal caps with rubber seals just in case the schrader starts leaking.

With all due respect, that article had to have been in the National Enquirer right under the "Les Schwab was abducted by aliens" article!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Maintaining air pressure in your tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.