RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: How old is too old?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How old is too old?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

Everybody is different. The fact that you are asking this question tells me you still have a few left. When you start scaring the DW with your driving, need help parking, then you may need to reconsider what you’re doing.
I feel quit the opposite, if your asking it’s probably time.

pennysmom09

Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/21 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stopped towing 2 years ago when my husband reached 80. This was only because we found we got too stressed when things went wrong. We leave our rig parked in our favorite park on site in Florida. We still enjoy the Rv life with our friends who also return each year.

Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

QCMan

Independent Republic of Horry

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/21 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will probably find that you will age out physically before you age out mentally. That is my take on it after talking to many folks around the country as I have had the same concern. I started asking the question when I was 55 and I am pushing 70 now. At this point the parts seem to be wearing out faster than they can be repaired or replaced. That being said, my time to park the tt will be when I cannot handle the hitching and other tasks. So far, it is only the wife that keeps her keys in the freezer.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/21 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Proverbs 23:7 says "For as a man thinks in his heart so is he." Said another way, Henry Ford used to tell his managers "If you think you can or if you think you can't your right." I just went camping up in the White Mtns of NH with my two GS's and hiked a Mtn that used to take me 1 hr and 15 mins to hike and now took 1 hr and 30 mins. My oldest GS who is 21 had a hard time and was behind me the 16 year old was ahead of me, but we all made it to the top. In my 40's and 50's I used to run the trail down, in my 70's now it was hard just to walk down with out my knees giving out and falling which I did several times. We all think and age differently and have to sometimes adjust. If you have a 40 ft DP or large 5th wheel now and feel uncomfortable driving it maybe a small trailer or Class C is a solution to keep you going longer.

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two things were touched on.

Anxiety at the thought of travelling. What use to be a mild challenge now leads to over thinking and worrying. It's just not fun anymore.

Physical condition. I can't sit for more than an hour without stiffening up. I can change a flat tire but I need a nap after [emoticon]
I walk for an hour everyday but hills kill me.

Mainly it's overcrowding everywhere, campgrounds & roads.

The trailer is permanently parked a the cottage and used as guest quarters.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree if you’re asking the question, something doesn’t feel right… you need to get some 2nd opinions on your driving. I still fly my plane but less often by myself as it would be a shame to ruin a nice plane if I had a heart attack.

Had a test of my 76 year old reflexes a couple weeks ago. Idiot decided to back into a busy 2 lane road when I was 50’ away at 45 mph. Fortunately the oncoming car was 150’ away and I was able to hard left an an immediate hard right, back into my lane. If the oncoming car had been closer, I’d hit the idiot without even having time to put on the brakes. It was all over before I had time to think about it or get pissed. Other car had to stop for the idiot that blocked the entire road so it could make a U turn.

Just did our usual 1500 miles to CO in 2 days and hope to be able to keep doing that for another 10-15 years.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before Katrina several years ago, we were on the Gulf. Ran into a older guy from "up north" who was still driving and doing the snowbird thing. He was in his late 80s. Point of this story is that he had a heart attack while we were there in the park. Other folks there were very concerned that his wife would not have anyone to care for her with him in the hospital.
I never was able to find out how it turned out for them - we left a couple of days later

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am 80 and will be leaving next week with my DP towing my 32ft enclosed race car trailer about 500mi. I also drive the race car. I have nothing else to do. I still do all the work around here also.....I guess the VA has kept me in good enough shape to do what I do but at this age you start to think about when do you have to back off......everyone be safe.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am 84 years old. I parked our trailer permanently a couple of years ago. Not because of the driving but because of all the bending, lifting, etc necessary to travel via a RV. Our trailer is still used by us regularly but now sits permanently in our sons' beautiful family campground in the woods up in the Northern part of Michigan. I miss travelling via RV a lot!
Barney

[image]

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/21 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turned 67 this year (2/3 done--expect to see my 100th b-day) and feel and behave like I'm 50. I walk a lot and always take stairs (skipping elevators), and love my whisky and IPAs. I work 5-6 hours a day and enjoy life's precious moments. My waist is 33" and do 25 pushups each morning.

My buddy is 52 and looks so much older than me: wrinkles on face, crepe like skin, floppy chin, very little muscle mass and pushing 220 lbs. Drinks red wine and when he picks up things from the floor--he does so with great drama by dropping to one knee and struggles to stand back up, grunting all the way.

It takes me less than 45 minutes to setup my TT when we go camping (awning down and chairs out), and about an hour to pack up. Last week, for the 1st time, I forgot to raise the TT steps. LOL, joked with wifey, guess I'm done RVing.

I easily see myself camping for the next decade plus, but I don't see my buddy ever camping--he can't handle it. BTW, the callous on my hands are from 50 years of using a pen, pencil and keyboard, not from twisting wrenches.

To answer your question--it depends.

Let's Go Brandon!!!!
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How old is too old?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.