RV.Net Open Roads Forum: New to truck camping - Palomino HS 2902 with flatbed?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New to truck camping - Palomino HS 2902 with flatbed?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
ognend

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 05:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello!

I am totally new to truck camping. Have a 2021 Chevy 3500 cab&chassis crew cab with a 9ft4" flatbed (Hillsboro GII model).

I put in an order for a 2021 Palomino HS-2902 - will be ready in late September/early October.

The service guy at the dealer (OutpostRV in Indiana) asked me a curious question after seeing the photo of my truck - "This will work fine. The sides look foldable, are they sturdy?". I said "I hope so, they are foldable and made of steel". Since I am totally new - this question gave me pause - they are a solid 9 hour drive away (this was the best price I could find - local dealer wanted $3,000 more for the same camper!) - and I want to understand how the camper will connect to the truck and why he needs the sides to be sturdy. The sides to fold out but what gave me pause is the fact that they are foldable and I am wondering if the whole 3-4,000 lbs will be depending on the latch not opening while the TC is connected, because I don't think the sides were designed to take the stress of so much weight.

Does anyone have any ideas or photos of their rigs, guides online etc. that explain the torklift connections on the flatbeds and whether my flatbed will work for this application?

Thanks!

Image of truck with bed

--
2021 Chevrolet 3500 DRW Cab&Chassis crew cab 4x4 6.6L gas with 9ft4" flatbed
2021 Palomino HS-2902 Max truck camper
2007 Double D all steel 2-horse bumper pull trailer

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The camper should not rest on the sides , only the floor . Be sure that the foldable sides are less height than the distance from the truck bed to the underside of the camper wings . I used 4 short Torklift anchor guards for tie downs . They attach to 1/2” D rings bolted to the flatbed . My flatbed is diamond plate aluminum and the camper sticks like glue . If yours is smooth you will need a rubber mat under camper so it doesn’t slide around . I would also recommend side stops to prevent side movement . There are several good discussion in TCU of campers on a flatbed , worth you time . Good luck

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Joe417

AL

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The sides are hinged to fold down. The sides are probably strong enough but the hinges may not be strong enough to tie the camper to. You might check with the bed mfg. to see what they say their side rail hinge can handle.

If they don't rate the hinge strong enough or you aren't comfortable with the specs, you will need to use some type of tie down that connects to the bed or frame of the truck. I think I would probably weld couple of heavy D rings to each side of the bed. That would allow them to fold down when you aren't using them.

I have seen some who tie the camper down with ratchet straps like those used on tractor trailers. They have a hook that would go under the edge of the bed. You would need to be careful not to tighten them too tight.

I think the pressure that Fastguns put on the camper, when installed per the instructions, is about 300lbs.

Joe & Evelyn

ognend

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you! The D-ring idea sounds good to me. I am just trying to figure out where I would put these D-rings.

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s going to be difficult without the camper unless you have some detailed measurements . If you can remove the sides to pick up the camper perhaps you can find a temporary place to hook the tie downs . You definitely want them inboard of the flatbed sides so your side panels can close . Most campers have a drop down at the rear of the floor at the 8’ mark which means you’re going to need a spacer between headboard and camper with that 9’ bed . Best to have the camper first before doing to much customizing .

Old Days

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would also go with D-rings, you could take them with you with bolts and install them after camper is loaded. Can you back your truck under the camper or will you have to put it on with a forklift? You may need wide swing out brackets.

ognend

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ticki2 wrote:

It’s going to be difficult without the camper unless you have some detailed measurements . If you can remove the sides to pick up the camper perhaps you can find a temporary place to hook the tie downs . You definitely want them inboard of the flatbed sides so your side panels can close . Most campers have a drop down at the rear of the floor at the 8’ mark which means you’re going to need a spacer between headboard and camper with that 9’ bed . Best to have the camper first before doing to much customizing .

Understood. The dealer was going to take care of everything, it's just that I got a bit suspicious after they asked about how sturdy the sides are. Call me paranoid but I would not trust 3800 lbs on a folding side latch. Maybe I am wrong, who knows.

ognend

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/21 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old Days wrote:

I would also go with D-rings, you could take them with you with bolts and install them after camper is loaded. Can you back your truck under the camper or will you have to put it on with a forklift? You may need wide swing out brackets.

I am not sure I understand the question about backing under vs forklift - I don't have a forklift nor was I planning on buying one - my understanding was that I would be backing under it after I buy it (?). Thanks!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New to truck camping - Palomino HS 2902 with flatbed?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.