|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> License plates

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

specta wrote:

Come to Utah.

I was born there. No sweat if you are Later Day. You can run ATVs anywhere, burn down the Dewey Bridge and push over rocks in Goblin Valley without any concern. An extra license plate should be no issue.

Mormons and lawlessness.

NY seems like a great alternative. [emoticon]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

Reality Check

North Bend

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

A little common sense goes a long way. What cop in their right mind or what Prosecutor is going to pursue legal action for a duplicate plate that matches the registration for the vehicle?

Actually, I'll role with that ^^^^

They won't. No different than they're not going to track down and waste time on family vacationing in TC with no plate/can't see the plate/etc, on the truck.

The things people fret about. Now, if you're rolling down the road in a 30yoa rot infested TC hanging off a beat up p/u, looking the part of a meth head, yea, I'd worry. It's as useful of a stop as a broken tail light. It's called a fishing expedition. They work, they're great tools, and you want the cops to work them.

Seriously, comical thread.

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

mr_andyj wrote:

I once didnt bother swapping the place and left it on truck, hidden. I got a warning parking ticket and he crawled under the TC to read the plate. No issues I guess that the plate was hidden away. Maybe if I was there he would give me a hard time and make me move it but RVers are typically not high crime suspects the cops need to harass....

Did you see him crawl? Or maybe since it was parked, he read the one on the front of the truck.

Georgia only has a rear tag, if Mr Andy was a GA resident at the time. No front tag in GA

'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

no plate visible for a ticket, they just run the VIN in the corner of the windshield on the dash. dispatch gives them the plate number and you get the ticket. Takes less than a minute even if you are out of state.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/21 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

A little common sense goes a long way. What cop in their right mind or what Prosecutor is going to pursue legal action for a duplicate plate that matches the registration for the vehicle?

You know I could almost agree with you if you had gone to your county tax office and asked for a duplicate plate. But getting one from Amazon, or wherever, just cut the state out of whatever fee they would charge.
May not matter in NY but a cop trying to keep the city budget balanced in Intercourse Pennsylvania, who knows.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My truck has a front plate. It matches the one on the back of the truck. [emoticon]

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reality Check wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

They won't. No different than they're not going to track down and waste time on family vacationing in TC with no plate/can't see the plate/etc, on the truck.

The things people fret about. Now, if you're rolling down the road in a 30yoa rot infested TC hanging off a beat up p/u, looking the part of a meth head, yea, I'd worry. It's as useful of a stop as a broken tail light. It's called a fishing expedition. They work, they're great tools, and you want the cops to work them.

You can't cry "money grab" out one side of your mouth and then say that they're not going to pull you over for a fake license plate or an obscured license plate out the other.

If they are out to get you for "money grab" purposes, they are out to get you for ANY infraction.

We've had plenty of first-hand accounts of TCers being hassled about their license plates here on this forum.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Once again, I have nothing to worry about. [emoticon]

Reality Check

North Bend

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 10:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Reality Check wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

You can't cry "money grab" out one side of your mouth and then say that they're not going to pull you over for a fake license plate or an obscured license plate out the other.

If they are out to get you for "money grab" purposes, they are out to get you for ANY infraction.

We've had plenty of first-hand accounts of TCers being hassled about their license plates here on this forum.

Never said anything about money. Has nothing to do with money. Seriously, if Barney Fife from podunk somewhere is trying to fill the coffers for the tiny muni he's working for, I guess you're screwed. License plate light, incorrectly aimed headlights, 2 mph over, straddled the white line and you don't have a litter bag. Should of stayed home.

Despite all the world wanting to believe the police are tax collectors/have quotas, etc etc, it just isn't true. Police find criminals more often than you'll ever know, via fishing expeditions. Starts with little stuff, like Traffic violations and Terry stops. And I've been reading these forums for a couple of weeks now, and it doesn't take two hands to count how many have actually been 'hassled' because of this plate issue. Fact, I don't remember any, but in fairness, I don't read everything.

Part of that 1/4% group, but then, what do I know.

bigfootgrey

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 04:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the amount of time it takes to transfer the plate from truck to camper it’s worth it to avoid any situations. Just remember to move it before loading the camper so you don’t have to crawl underneath. Did that more than once.

2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XL’s. 2015 Lund Alaskan 1600 tiller.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> License plates
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.