RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Electric bikes !!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric bikes !!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
GeeWillakers

Wet Coast

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/21 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Land Yachters wrote:

While all of this ebike knowledge is watching this thread, I wanted to ask a related question. My wife and I have been on the road for the past 10 months or so and carry 2 regular bikes on a standard thule rack on the back of our toad. We want to get ebike for her but want to know how to handle rack for transportation. She has heavy Schwinn (around 40 lbs) that I hate to load on to rack, but wonder best rack for heavier ebike. We would get rid of her Schwinn so only need room for her ebike, maybe a trek Townie? and my Trek road bike.

Appreciate the input.

We use a tire-mounted Yamaha rack on back of toad for our regular bikes. Bike shop told me they’re only rated for about 35ibs each bike when he saw my ebike on it. We now use a Kuat 2 for the ebike mounted on a 2” receiver; Thule makes a similar rack.

BTW, we bought two Moscow Plus mountain bikes. Great bikes but had to sell one and get a Rad City step-thru for my wife. Comfort getting on and off a bike is important, especially for feeling safe while riding.

2007 Triple-E Commander A3202FB W22 8.1 6spd Banks Power
2014 Jeep Wrangler JK toad, a Bug and a Frenchie

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/21 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some RVs have lost rear mounted bike racks when the bumper welds failed. Those rear ends get a ton of bouncing. With the added weight of e-bikes, it would be wise to have a good welding shop look at the rig and reinforce as needed. Save some worry and maybe some grief during trips.

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/21 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]
If it wasn’t for electric bikes, he would not have been able to do this with a manual bike.
He passed away last week at 98.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/21 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FlatBroke wrote:

[image]
If it wasn’t for electric bikes, he would not have been able to do this with a manual bike.
He passed away last week at 98.

My condolences.

I hope that I live to be 98 and can stay as active as your dad.

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/21 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

E-bikes are fun and you can see a bunch but is that no or low exercise activity what is best for you vs. pedal power?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/21 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

E-bikes are fun and you can see a bunch but is that no or low exercise activity what is best for you vs. pedal power?

Eighteen days after the previous post, and you bumped the thread for this pearl of wisdom?

Do you even own an eBike?

I've pedaled over 2k miles on mine and they're amazing. But the pedal assist is just that: you're still pedaling, but it's a little easier (depending on the setting you select). I always leave mine on the lowest setting.

Pedal a bike for 50 miles and then tell me that it was no exercise.

Some day when the office opens again, I'll be back on the bike and train to get to work. They call it "last mile" commuting, except I pedal the first miles too to get to the local station.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

gtnsmlr

On the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/21 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 Pro, 1500W peak output. I've got a few thousand miles on it so far, have yet to find a hill it won't climb. It's good for anything up to blue diamond single track but, the fat tires do get in the way sometimes. It will do 40mph on flat ground. Only one downside, if you're not shifting properly, it will eat the drivetrain.[image]

The older we get, the faster we go

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/21 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we just bought two REI co-op e bikes, "Co-op" is their "house brand" of bikes. Lots of good components, good reviews and comparing them to similar bikes the price was "right" Add to that, they had them in stock in their warehouse and we got them in about a week. they did a good setup on them for us and so far we love them. Electric range looks like it will easily be in the 50 mile range for our riding style and when our grand daughter took it for a ride in "high" power mode her eyes almost popped out of her head!

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/21 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Have you ever riden an e bike for any length of time over varied terrain?

It's hardly a "low excercise" activity, more of a "continous excercise" activity. it's pedal assist and on level ground your the power, on hills yes, it helps a great deal but your still pedalling. And for us it's easy to get out and do a 25+ mile ride for a few hours instead of 30 minutes on a short ride. So overall I'd say we are getting more and better excercise on an e bike.

And why is a bike only for excercise? Often places we want to go are only accesible by bike, or we want to take the slow and scenic route that a bike give us. e bikes are perfect for that.

* This post was edited 07/27/21 10:20pm by ktmrfs *

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/21 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

Lwiddis wrote:

Have you ever riden an e bike for any length of time over varied terrain?

It's hardly a "low excercise" activity, more of a "continous excercise" activity. it's pedal assist and on level ground your the power, on hills yes, it helps a great deal but your still pedalling. And for us it's easy to get out and do a 25+ mile ride for a few hours instead of 30 minutes on a short ride. So overall I'd say we are getting more and better excercise on an e bike.

The good thing about Lwiddis is that he rarely actually participates in the threads that he opines in. He typically just flies in, drops a load of smelly comments, and then flies back out. Fortunately most of his comments get deleted before they have a chance to derail the threads.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric bikes !!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.