|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Which ~36' Class A can tow 15K Stacker

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
kutsyy

San Francisco Area

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am starting to look for an RV that could tow a race stacker (total weight will be under 15K loaded). The shortest stacker is 24' with full length 29', so using 65' max length I am left with 36'.

I am struggling to find any Class A RV that can work for this, any pointers? (preferably 5-10 years old).

I know something like Class C Dynamax DX3 would work, and I've seen a number of people towing with 42' Class A (to the total length of 73'), but are there really no under 40' class A that can tow?

Thank,

Vadim

PS: I am aware that "technically" there are 22' and even 20' stackers.

Ed C

Cape Cod, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/21 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most DPs without a tag axle are rated for 10K max. Many (not all) with the tag are rated for 15K or 20K with the 600HP engine. There might be an older Country Coach or Foretravel that might have a 15K rating.

Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need something like a Super C on a heavy truck chassis for that much weight.

Also be aware that the DOT considers this commercial use, so you might need a CDL.

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ">
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

donkeydew

OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/21 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i think you will need a toterhome or super c

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed one with both a 36 and 40ft DP Monacoes--the 40 had a 450HP Cummins and the 36 had a 8.3 Cummins rated at 330hp from the factory. Had it turned up don't know what HP it is now but it towed that big ol trailer just fine. I have now down sized to a open Featherlite. Leaving for Bristol Wend morning.

kutsyy

San Francisco Area

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 09:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

I towed one with both a 36 and 40ft DP Monacoes--the 40 had a 450HP Cummins and the 36 had a 8.3 Cummins rated at 330hp from the factory. Had it turned up don't know what HP it is now but it towed that big ol trailer just fine. I have now down sized to a open Featherlite. Leaving for Bristol Wend morning.

Do you remember what year was that 36 Monaco? I've seen a few 40ft but have not seen 36 yet.

Thanks

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 04:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I might be wrong, but 1 issue I see is a hitch stout enough for that kind of load could make it hard for major service on a rear engine.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 36ft is a 1998 Monaco Windsor. It is still like new as original owner kept it inside as do I. At one tome I had a Monaco Dynasty 45ft with a 450hp Cummins. Never towed the stacker but towed a 32ft enclosed all over. Thats around 77ft long and I did take it to Pamona once. I am 80 now and just have a foot brake bracket car. I think I have had everything at one time or another.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doubt you’ll find a 36’ capable of 15K plus as many rigs as I see way over 65’ I would not have a problem going 67’, even in CA. You could get a over length permit for CA as the CHP doesn’t seem to have a sense of humor…wouldn’t worry about other states. A 2003-07 Monaco Dynasty Bishop 38’ tag axle (shortest rig with a tag axle) and it has a hitch capable of what you want to do. Yes, it’s only rated 10K but in 2008 it was rated 15K provided you didn’t raise the tag… no structural changes to the hitch. I’m putting 1800 lbs on my hitch and have for over 100+K miles…the hitch is a H (2 crossmembers), not a T with only one.
The Monaco’s, Holiday Rambler’s of that era are some of the best ever made with great handling and 8,000+ lbs of CCC. The Cummins ISL 400-450 has 1200-1250 torque and its a good engine. Some 06 engines have a wrist pin machining problem and I would stay away from those serial #s… 46543077 TO 46603939.
I would look at this one in LA…price is a little high unless it has new tires and batteries:
Welcome to the forums and I’d say you’ve gotten your money’s worth.
*Bishop in LA

* This post was edited 06/28/21 08:15am by Ivylog *

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

kutsyy

San Francisco Area

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@ferndaleflyer and @vylog.

Thank you for the information. I was looking at Dynasty already and Bishop seems to be the shortest option available. I'll probably will wait till fall to see if prices will comedown/more option will be available.

Thank you,

Vadim

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Which ~36' Class A can tow 15K Stacker
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.