RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Do I have have enough Truck?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Do I have have enough Truck?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The springs I put on did not ride any rougher than stock springs. Added maybe an inch of rear height. I had already tweaked the front torsion bars a bit, I also had the snow plow front bars factory ordered. That truck rode no rougher softer than the 05 dually I replaced it with.
A spring shop should be able to make them hold a load, yet ride nice unloaded too!

Yes there is a way to load pics......I need to look up and get a link.....not real good myself at this.

Marty

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=2
Try that link, I hope I did it correct. Works simple enough to post pics.

[image]
On an edit, today's project, getting old truck ready to go to wrecking recycle yard.

If your on an actual computer you can go back and forth. Or you may want the RV.net post up on one screen, the photo hoster on another screen, copy and pasting can be easier that way.

Marty

* This post was edited 06/27/21 08:29pm by blt2ski *

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is the brake chart from my 1996 Suburban shop manual

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

You can look up the RPO code on the glove box RPO label

Or, measure your rear drum brake shoe width. Mine is the JB8. Most 3/4 ton Sub’s have the JD7 and why tongue-n-cheek refer to mine as a K3500

Link to an old, old thread here and is where found that brake RPO code image

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25116103/print/true.cfm

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/21 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

b1jetmech wrote:

Second Chance wrote:

Loaded, the pin weight for that trailer is more likely to be in the 2,500 - 2,800 lb. range. I would suggest weighing the truck (full tanks and all occupants), add 150 lbs. for a hitch over the rear axle, and see what you have left over on the rear axle and tire ratings.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Yeah, I need to find a DOT scale to weight the truck and weigh it again with the trailer and all occupants. I do have a feeling it will be well over the payload capacity. We'll see.

I would suggest a CAT scale at the nearest truck stop. The DOT boys will usually give someone in a non-commercial vehicle some dirty looks if you pull in there (unless you know someone, of course). In some places, the state weigh stations leave the scales on when they're closed. If you can see the read-out through the windows, you can just add your own weight back in.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ll suggest if you claim to be adept at Cummins conversions and whatever else you said, and are asking the question, then you already know the answer. And if you don’t, then the answer is, no, you need more/newer truck.
There are so many more things in the equation than just the power train. Namely, it’s a 25 year old truck.
Again if you don’t understand, then put the diesel conversion money towards a newer/ more capable truck.

PS I think gmt 400s are some of the best tucks made, so my statement isn’t about any inherent flaws in the design of the truck.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Especially if you’re actually hung up on “rated” payload…you don’t understand vehicles very well.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll not get into all the details above BUT----You never have enough truck!!!!!

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/21 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

b1jetmech wrote:

Is there a way to post pictures directly from the computer? I don't have a picture host anymore. Would like to upload some pics.

RVNet photo posting

Rob

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of my previous trucks was a '92 2500 4wd gmc 5.7 engine 400 tranny 4.10 gears. I ran that truck to 262k miles before selling it to a local brick layer.
Just a word of caution.
Your trucks 6089 rawr number can be the lessor of the tire/wheel/rear spring pack. Generally our older trucks those LT235/85-16 or LT245/75-16 E rated tires had 3042 lbs capacity were the weak link. Upgrade the tires.... the OEM wheels may also need upgraded depending on their load rating. Most OEM steel wheels back then were load stamped some where on the wheel (front/rear side or in the valley).
Rear air bags is another option for carrying more load and leveling the load. The springs on a truck that old probably sag some do to use and age.

Agree with separate front and rear axle weights. Everyone with a truck should know this when towing or hauling heavy.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone getting hung up in the rvnet fodder of "ratings."

OP what is your plan here? You got a pristine low mile grampa truck that you want to hot rod into a towing machine?
You get a free engine and Allison and it's taking up space in your shop?
You're bored and want a "project?" "Projects" don't usually make good tow rigs.
Have you added up what this will cost you in just parts, provided the truck is already cherry/perfect and you will be doing all the work yourself?
Have you looked at the truck market for buying and selling? If your truck is in great shape, it will fetch more $ now, likely than ever in the past and maybe the future.
Are you rebuilding the Cummins and the Alli, or just tossing junkyard drivetrain in it?
Have you considered everything else that will or may be needed? Cutting/fabbing core support, relocating hood latch, moving/fabbing trans cross member(s), adapting or purchasing new T case....just off the top of my head.
And if you get the whole drivetrain swapped, everything working, the least of your concerns is brakes and springs. On a cost and difficulty scale, the brakes and suspension is a 2 out of 10 compared to the swap, which is about a 9.9 out of 10.

Not trying to pee on your parade, but this doesn't sound like the making of a great tow rig, this sounds like the making of an expensive pain in the ....

Here's a quote from a guy who put a 12V into a GMT 400 burb, and he used the original trans and T-case.

"With the engine I think I am about $7000.

Between the flexplate, the trans adapter and the controller, $2000 of that was just to keep the 4L80E (ouch) but I didn't want to adapt a Dodge trans in it to the transfer case and then figure out the speed sensors, etc."

This is a stock used, basically "junkyard" 12V mated to the anemic (for a diesel) 4L80 trans.

If you are doing it "right", I'd guess about $15k minimum in parts and if you're successful in the end, you'll have a truck that is worth no more, really, than as it sits now.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Do I have have enough Truck?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.