RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Chinese RV tires... holding up!

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Chinese RV tires... holding up!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JimK-NY

NY

Senior Member

Joined: 05/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/20/21 05:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cheap, worn, or old tires often seem to be Ok, until they aren't. A blowout can be a serious event that I want to avoid.
Buy the best quality tires. They will typically cost only a bit more.
Maintain the recommended tire pressure.
Keep the load within the load rating. A safety margin doesn't hurt.
Drive within the speed rating, especially when the weather is hot.
Periodically check tires for damage.

Finally, replace the tires at a minimum every 5 years! I was lucky and learned the last rule just in time. I decided to buy a new tire for my truck and rotate the spare as matching tire. It had been stored under the truck bed for 4 years and looked new. I put the tire in use and within a few weeks noticed serious cracking all over the tire. It had dry rotted in 4 years without any sun exposure. I learned that tires will dry rot faster if they are not used or used infrequently. Replacing tires roughly every 5 years is part of the cost of ownership. Again, you can always take your chances and again old tires are fine until they aren't.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2003

View Profile



Posted: 07/20/21 08:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Cheap, worn, or old tires often seem to be Ok, until they aren't. A blowout can be a serious event that I want to avoid.
Buy the best quality tires. They will typically cost only a bit more.


a worn out tire will never look OK. it will look worn out. the problem is people dont inspect tires they glance at them as they walk by.



JimK-NY wrote:

Maintain the recommended tire pressure.
Keep the load within the load rating. A safety margin doesn't hurt.
Drive within the speed rating, especially when the weather is hot.
Periodically check tires for damage.


yup, but to many people ignore this then blame the results on "cheep tires"

JimK-NY wrote:

Finally, replace the tires at a minimum every 5 years!

I learned that tires will dry rot faster if they are not used or used infrequently. Replacing tires roughly every 5 years is part of the cost of ownership. Again, you can always take your chances and again old tires are fine until they aren't.


this is another wives tale, 8 years is the recomended change out due to age from a tire manufacture. but there are things that can shorten that. in your case the most likely cause was moisture in the air you used to top it off. Mositure inside the tire will cause it to fail prematurly and so many tire places are cheeping out now days and not putting dryers on there air. also people at home dont think about this and when they fill up at home they are putting moisture into the tire causing dry rot. this is where nitrogen in tires shine as it is dry, but thats not practicle for most. I went to the store and bought a desicant dryer for my air compressor for this purpose and to help extend the life of my air tools.

Steve


2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

dedmiston

The West

Moderator

Joined: 01/26/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 07/20/21 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

Finally, replace the tires at a minimum every 5 years!

I learned that tires will dry rot faster if they are not used or used infrequently. Replacing tires roughly every 5 years is part of the cost of ownership. Again, you can always take your chances and again old tires are fine until they aren't.


this is another wives tale, 8 years is the recomended change out due to age from a tire manufacture. but there are things that can shorten that. in your case the most likely cause was moisture in the air you used to top it off. Mositure inside the tire will cause it to fail prematurly and so many tire places are cheeping out now days and not putting dryers on there air. also people at home dont think about this and when they fill up at home they are putting moisture into the tire causing dry rot. this is where nitrogen in tires shine as it is dry, but thats not practicle for most. I went to the store and bought a desicant dryer for my air compressor for this purpose and to help extend the life of my air tools.

Steve


Anybody who gets eight years out of their RV tires isn't camping enough.


2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230



fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 07/20/21 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Anybody who gets eight years out of their RV tires isn't camping enough."

Don't you mean aren't traveling enough? [emoticon] We had 8 years and about 20,000 miles on our Sailun tires when we sold it. Never an issue, no cracks, no leaks, and still looked to have good tread life. But were due to be replaced if we hadn't sold it. We did advise the buyer to replace the tires due to their age. But I wasn't going to buy six tires, just to turn around and sell the thing.

FWIW I just bought 4 new Sailun tires and had them mounted and balanced for the car. 205/55-16, mounted and balanced cost me $279.00. Manufacture date was 1021.

But yes, we certainly didn't camp enough. [emoticon]


Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dedmiston

The West

Moderator

Joined: 01/26/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 07/20/21 12:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

"Anybody who gets eight years out of their RV tires isn't camping enough."

Don't you mean aren't traveling enough? [emoticon] We had 8 years and about 20,000 miles on our Sailun tires when we sold it. Never an issue, no cracks, no leaks, and still looked to have good tread life. But were due to be replaced if we hadn't sold it. We did advise the buyer to replace the tires due to their age. But I wasn't going to buy six tires, just to turn around and sell the thing.

FWIW I just bought 4 new Sailun tires and had them mounted and balanced for the car. 205/55-16, mounted and balanced cost me $279.00. Manufacture date was 1021.

But yes, we certainly didn't camp enough. [emoticon]


Yes.

JimK-NY

NY

Senior Member

Joined: 05/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/20/21 01:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moisture in the air did not damage my tire. In fact it spent 4 years under the camper. I probably should have checked and topped off the pressure but I didn't and it was still over about 50 psi when I pulled it down, pumped it up and went to use it.

Tires can be damaged by intense sun, but dry rot can occur for a tire that is never in the sun due to oxidation and the effects of ozone. Tires dry rot much faster when they are not used or not frequently used. Use including heat and flexing helps bring chemicals to the tire surface which are formulated to reduce ageing of tires. Water certainly rots wood and some other materials but tires are designed to live in a wet environment. They do not rot due to water.

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/20/21 01:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

"Anybody who gets eight years out of their RV tires isn't camping enough."

Don't you mean aren't traveling enough? [emoticon] We had 8 years and about 20,000 miles on our Sailun tires when we sold it. Never an issue, no cracks, no leaks, and still looked to have good tread life. But were due to be replaced if we hadn't sold it. We did advise the buyer to replace the tires due to their age. But I wasn't going to buy six tires, just to turn around and sell the thing.

FWIW I just bought 4 new Sailun tires and had them mounted and balanced for the car. 205/55-16, mounted and balanced cost me $279.00. Manufacture date was 1021.

But yes, we certainly didn't camp enough. [emoticon]


Good call on the car tires . The Saliun Terramax are the next tire going on my truck 275/70/18

WAM

CALIFORNIA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/15/2005

View Profile



Posted: 07/20/21 03:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WAM wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:


I am fairly sure they have a five year warranty and that means all made are under warranty.


You're right. Six years actually...Replacement 1 yr then prorate thru 2/32 depth. I'll call Tire Rack and ***** at them. But the tires are still gone, so I don't expect much.


Okay I called Tire Rack and they confirmed that they only offered warranty on tires sold after 2019. They are not Goodyear owned and do not have to honor the GY warranty.

Then I called Goodyear who confirmed the above, but they opened a claim on my behalf and will try to help me. If the tires are already gone they may or may not get the claim approved.

BTW, GY has suspended production of the Endurance and they are out of stock nearly everywhere. Customer Service said it's to put more production capacity into sudden All Terrain demand, but the Endurance will eventually come back...maybe 2022.


2012 Ford F350/SD 4x4
Alpenlite 9.5 Cheyenne slide-in

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/21/21 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WAM wrote:

Customer Service said it's to put more production capacity into sudden All Terrain demand, but the Endurance will eventually come back...maybe 2022.


What's their alternate product equivalent?

I must be one of those who snapped their off-road/all terrain tires for my truck. Sold my Michelin, which surprisingly got multiple calls and bought one the same day.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2003

View Profile



Posted: 07/21/21 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

Finally, replace the tires at a minimum every 5 years!

I learned that tires will dry rot faster if they are not used or used infrequently. Replacing tires roughly every 5 years is part of the cost of ownership. Again, you can always take your chances and again old tires are fine until they aren't.


this is another wives tale, 8 years is the recomended change out due to age from a tire manufacture. but there are things that can shorten that. in your case the most likely cause was moisture in the air you used to top it off. Mositure inside the tire will cause it to fail prematurly and so many tire places are cheeping out now days and not putting dryers on there air. also people at home dont think about this and when they fill up at home they are putting moisture into the tire causing dry rot. this is where nitrogen in tires shine as it is dry, but thats not practicle for most. I went to the store and bought a desicant dryer for my air compressor for this purpose and to help extend the life of my air tools.

Steve


Anybody who gets eight years out of their RV tires isn't camping enough.


or maybe there camping more and just driving less haha. my firs ttrailer I got 10 years out of all the tires before I had to change one. I camped every weekend all year around, but I lived on an island where I only had to drive 20 min to the main camping site I went to , others we did were about an hour drive max.


Steve

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Chinese RV tires... holding up!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.