RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Electric over hydraulic - anyone using them ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Electric over hydraulic - anyone using them ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My new Momentum has disc brakes. The difference is HUGE!

I will never go back to drums. They are 1950s technology.
A relic of the past. And I will note, that you cannot get parts for them at Autozone either.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1380watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountryC CD/A 4X4 DRW

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

A relic of the past. And I will note, that you cannot get parts for them at Autozone either.

The calipers are all based on old GM designs for Kodiak/Titan brakes. If those are who make the ones on your Momentum, you certainly can at least get all caliper components (including entire calipers, pins, seals and pads) from Autozone/NAPA/Oreilly/etc. But you have to use a cross-reference and not just tell them they're for a GD Momentum...

Other parts, like the hub assemblies, especially if integrated on your particular model, and the controller/pump assembly, aren't going to be stocked. But those are probably less likely to require rushed parts for maintenance/repair.

2021 Ram 5500 Limited 84CA Cummins 4x4 w/ flatbed
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had disc brakes installed by performance brakes. They came to my house did the entire install in my driveway.
As mentioned night and day difference. I will never go back to drum/magnetbrakes again. The old adage the trailer brakes stop the trailer comes closer to reality with a disc brake upgrade.
I am sure those magnetic brakes were not stopping the trailer!

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/21 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did my own install of Performance brakes, round numbers 2K for the kit 1k for 2 day install if you have it done. I did mine in two days at home, had a question during install, called an had my answer from the first one answered the phone. BTW: 7K axle upgraded to 8K for $65.00 (Larger outer bearing 9/16" studs vs 1/2" and lug nuts) Not any one here that has not been cut off or had to stand on brakes hoping you'll get stopped before you hit some idiot. 36ft 5W 13,500lbs best upgrade and I'll never go back to drums.
[image]

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/21 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

n0arp wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

The calipers are all based on old GM designs for Kodiak/Titan brakes. If those are who make the ones on your Momentum, you certainly can at least get all caliper components (including entire calipers, pins, seals and pads) from Autozone/NAPA/Oreilly/etc. But you have to use a cross-reference and not just tell them they're for a GD Momentum...

Other parts, like the hub assemblies, especially if integrated on your particular model, and the controller/pump assembly, aren't going to be stocked. But those are probably less likely to require rushed parts for maintenance/repair.

I may have something different than what you are thinking of.
My 8000# Dexter axles have Dexter 4 piston calipers. They are not the sliding design. They bolt on to the axles as a solid one piece unit.

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/21 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

n0arp wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

My 8000# Dexter axles have Dexter 4 piston calipers. They are not the sliding design. They bolt on to the axles as a solid one piece unit.

Sounds nice. Titan/Kodiak are big for aftermarket. Dexter bought them a couple years ago, but looks like they're separate product lines for now. Maybe if Dexter continues to produce the ones you have, increased adoption will drive increased parts info/availability.

* This post was last edited 06/30/21 03:16pm by n0arp *   View edit history

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/21 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This entire discussion points to the need for travelers to not depend on a parts store or anyone else to look up or come up with part numbers.

You should have a "manual" composed of all the install and repair manuals for everything on an RV and the tow vehicle, and for things like caliper kits, pads, (for parts that are GM based, determine the part numbers ahead of time for sure). Get cross reference lists and include them. Determine what hoses you would need, find part numbers from various auto parts stores. Part numbers for wheel bearings and races, seals, etc are also handy. With Timken, there are SET numbers for many of the bearing and race combinations, so you don't have to purchase separate parts (which is the norm at industrial suppliers). Also know good overnight sources of parts. I find the best deals on many wheel bearings and seals are from Summit Racing. They carry the SET numbers, and a couple of different seals (yes, you need the National seal number, not that propriety Dexter seal number, again, figure this out ahead of time)

On your tow vehicle do the same thing, find part numbers (correct numbers) for things like serpentine belts (yours may have different belts depending on options, or a cutoff production date where changes were made) and things that destroy belts like idler pulleys and tensioners. Get numbers for several major brands

One way to gather some of this information is the Gates web site, via their VIN decoder. Enter your VIN number, get the list, PRINT IT OUT file it in your "manual" (if going digital, print it to a PDF file for your thumbdrive)....

Gates VIN decoder for belts, hoses, and other items.

Saw a Youtube video the other day where a female truck camper adventurer/hiker had a serpentine belt fail. She got towed to a very nearby town and they ordered in the belt and the tensioner that had caused the belt failure, and sure enough the belt was the wrong one, thankfully they were able to get the correct belt in an hour or so.

Same goes for RV appliances and components that could ruin a trip if failed.

Do all of this AT HOME while you have the luxury of TIME.

Does this sound over the top? to me its cheap insurance that will minimize the time you are stranded and help to get things fixed right away. Look at it as an INVESTMENT in your future travels.

I did all of this when I had a 2006 Sprinter chassis motorhome (a 2007 Winnebago View) and I had complete digital PDF files of the Dodge shop and parts manuals, all of the Winnebago wiring diagrams and installation drawings, plumbing drawings, etc. I had everything digitized and stored on a thumb drive. That thumb drive stayed on the MH all the time in the pouch with the WBO manuals. I had downloaded repair manuals for many of the appliances also.

Know your vehicle. The Sprinter used a transmission fluid that is difficult to source, brake fluid that is quite difficult to source, and filters that not everyone carries. I carried a spare fuel filter and engine oil filter. In addition, I carried the original serpentine belt which I had removed. The Gates version of the belt was way too long, the Dayco belt was not much better (both put the tensioner near the end of its travel) and I had ordered a Continental/ContiTech belt that was an exact replacement for the original.

Also, carry tools that are unusual, that you may need, and make sure they fit. I carried a dipstick for the transmission on the Sprinter, it is a shop tool and CANNOT be left in the transmission, so I kept it stored in the motorhome.

About two weeks ago, on the way home from Wal-Mart, I came across a young couple with a travel trailer and a blown tire. The trailer was used, but fairly new, and they had cleared the main road and turned off at an intersection onto a side road. They were only a couple of miles from home, but had NO SPARE. They were returning from their first trip, a short shakedown cruise to a nearby lake. I offered to go home and get a spare tire and wheel I knew would fit, I was about 15 minutes from home, but they had called a friend who was pulling the spare from a boat trailer and bringing it. The fellow had no idea about jacking it but I suggested the truck jack which had a saddle that fit the axle perfectly and a lug wrench that fit the lug nuts (much to his surprise), I bid them farewell and went on my way, but this goes to show you, BE PREPARED ahead of time, its gonna happen.

This happened out in the country, rural area, and the thing that surprised me the most was the number of people that pulled over to check and see if they needed help, probably 6 or 7 in the ten minutes or so I was there.

Charles

* This post was last edited 06/30/21 10:22pm by CharlesinGA *   View edit history

'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/21 10:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

n0arp wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

n0arp wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

Sounds nice. Titan/Kodiak are big for aftermarket. Dexter bought them a couple years ago, but looks like they're separate product lines for now. Maybe if Dexter continues to produce the ones you have, increased adoption will drive increased parts info/availability.
I will add that my brakes design cannot be very old, as the rotors have the inductor ring for antilock brakes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Electric over hydraulic - anyone using them ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.