RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: When to throw in the towel...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> When to throw in the towel...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Dave in TN

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/21 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quite a few years ago we were on a weekend trip to a state park to do some hiking, and it poured pretty much non-stop. My wife indicated we should just call it and head home, but I dug in and said "it's nice just being away from home, we can hang out and play games, etc etc.". Well, with the kids bored, and 6 of us crammed in the trailer, it was more misery than fun. But we stayed. And I can't tell you how many times in the years since my wife has mentioned "remember that time....". LOL. So the moral of the story is, you made the right call.

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stress is what you make it...

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might be time to upgrade your AC unit to one of these newer low profile units that run quieter. I know with mine it is loud but will cool us down even in 100 degree weather running off the onan generator, I wonder if your unit is beat?

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/21 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Life happens, sometimes your ideas and the kidos ideas dont match up. When my daughter was 4, and even now, we kinda keep to half camping resorts and half state parks. But, as you have lots of kidos, and there young, i would stick to places with a pool, and splash pad plus activotes for the kids. Yea, not my idea of a great relaxing time, but you will relax more as the kids are occupied. Have fun, dont throw in the towel compleatly!

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/21 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If possible, try several family fun nights in the drive way, for the kids. Smores, hot dogs, singing, whatever is fun for you and yours. Get the little ones used to the camper.

Can't help with the noise. I turn on the fan/ac/heat, and/or TV in hotel rooms and the camper because the noise helps me sleep. I learned that trick working the night tour in the oilfield.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

when my first daughter hit 2 years old we had to take a 2 year break from camping as she was a terror and you had to watch her every second and it was just to stressfull. after that she calmed down and we were good to go again.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm more tempted to give it all up because reservations are getting impossible to get and the price of private CG's is just getting stupid. I recently tried to plan a stay in Spokane Wa. and the CG's were $77 to $90/night.
NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

I'm more tempted to give it all up because reservations are getting impossible to get and the price of private CG's is just getting stupid. I recently tried to plan a stay in Spokane Wa. and the CG's were $77 to $90/night.
NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

Scott they can run 2-300 dollars a night down here in Florida. Anything on the beach is a year out private or state. Weekends are a year out. I am referring to the campgrounds that I visit and no others.

Seon

Lake Camanche, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Similar thing happened to the wife and I the weekend before last. We got to the campground, hooked up but the AC compressor didn't kick in Ambient temp was 100° and inside the trailer reached 115°. Was unbearable so loaded the two dogs and we drove home leaving the trailer and driving back the next morning to tow it home.
Bought and replaced an AC replacement then switched them out last Friday. Didn't get to run the replacement it til yesterday. Kept the AC off til the ambient temp reached 100° this afternoon and inside the trailer was 105°. Turned the AC on and within a half hour the new unit dropped the temp to 85.
We're headed out this weekend for a week's camping. Happy wife...happy life.

* This post was edited 06/29/21 06:20pm by Seon *

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a polar cub 9200 AC in my camper, We have been out in 113* heat at night in the desert with the AC going and I have never thought it was loud and neither has my wife. They do make a retro fan blade that is quieter for the newer RV AC units. You may want to look into that.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> When to throw in the towel...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.