RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: When to throw in the towel...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> When to throw in the towel...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I do have it on the list of upgrades to swap out the AC unit. My original motivation is because it is so tall on the roof line, I think it is something like 14" or 17" tall if I recall. I have literally never seen a taller AC unit on an RV than what we have. It of course works amazing which is great, it's just too dang loud! I have followed the recent thread on the RecPro AC and like what I'm seeing there but funds are tight currently so probably not for a while.

As much as I would be ready to drop the money on the camper and upgrade that AC, the reality is that for the foreseeable future, it won't be our family method for camping. We are looking at adding a 5th wheel to the fleet. It won't be the same type of camping we have enjoyed with the freedom to park a camper just about anywhere of course but having extra space for all six of us will make trips MUCH easier on us. Our teenage daughters are quickly getting ready to spread their wings so we only have a couple of years left to have them bond to their baby sisters. Our goal is to take a multi month epic family road trip across the United States and the 5th wheel is the way we want to do it.

I'll be keeping the camper of course as I still intend to be able to go on my ATV trips and such plus when it is just the wife and I, it is perfect for shorter trips.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/21 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can guess your AC does not have fan switch to force it to low speed?
We spend lot of days in our campers with 124F outside, cooling down to 100 after midnight.
We got used to AC running whole night, but forced to low speed.
Beware that even AC is cooling center of TC to comfortable temperatures, the cabinets on south side can reach 140F, so don't keep perishables in them.
Ours sons were being relatively quiet babies, bit I still remember that between 1 and 2 years old is the hardest part as they get mobile and want to explore everything, while showing very little common sense and self-preservation. Can only imagine what it is with twins.
I think next summer this is going to be completely different story.
But I admire your drive to try. Most of people would spend those days in comfort of their sofa and TV remote.
We have a thread about RecPro AC.
I put 1 of them on my Sprinter conversion and it seems like very nice unit, although I did not take it for overnight in 120 yet.
100F in dry climate is not bad. I am on East Coast right now and with only 90F I am wet stepping out for just seconds.

zb39

slippery rock

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/21 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get the 5th wheel and enjoy the family trips. We have been traveling with both our kids since they were 6 months old. They both will still go with us at 24 and 28 when they can. The new son in law has even gone and now wants his own. We just got back from a 12 day trip and both kids went. Great times.

2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/21 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut1 wrote:

I have a polar cub 9200 AC in my camper, We have been out in 113* heat at night in the desert with the AC going and I have never thought it was loud and neither has my wife. They do make a retro fan blade that is quieter for the newer RV AC units. You may want to look into that.

Could you post a link cause mine is way loud.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/21 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 7-month old baby on board and my new portable GE ac is handling the 109-degree CA weather well.

Blessing in disguise that this hopeless Camping World Service Departments were unable to repair my new
RV's a/c (twice) and re-scheduling would take months. Its very noisy anyways and definitely will disturb the baby's sleep.

I agree tho, months-old babies (maybe 3 or 5 years), just like going to Disneyland is not ideal.

anutami

Ramona

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/21 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your story reminds me when we had a tent trailer and our 6 month old wailed all night long and the whole campground could hear us!!! I can’t imagine twins and it being crazy hot out!! We too cut our trip short. We sold the tent trailer right away [emoticon] when the kids were super young my DW would stay at home for her vacation and I would take the kids out adventuring! [emoticon]

We always used the white noise makers with our kids and now my DW uses it on me to blurt out my snoring LOL!! Now when there’s no sound I have trouble sleeping :0 We are camping at Lake Powell and using the AC at night with the white noise maker really helps. My Coleman 9000 sounds like a 747 taking off and my head is inside the engine compartment but with the white noise drowns out the compressor firing on and off. I really need to do that fan swap out.

[image]

2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/21 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

anutami wrote:

We always used the white noise makers with our kids and now my DW uses it on me to blurt out my snoring LOL!! Now when there’s no sound I have trouble sleeping :0 We are camping at Lake Powell and using the AC at night with the white noise maker really helps. My Coleman 9000 sounds like a 747 taking off and my head is inside the engine compartment but with the white noise drowns out the compressor firing on and off. I really need to do that fan swap out.

Nice photo.. Thanks for sharing!

Your post makes me decide to go ahead with the big trouble and expense of repair of that jet engine noise a/c of mine after all.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/21 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What noise, eh?? I love it and find the noise reassuring (noise = wealth production, no noise = famine)…I think some folks may have had ‘noise sheltered’ careers’’ - lol

3 tons

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> When to throw in the towel...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.