|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New F-150 Electric P/U

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

Curious
What if I carried my 200lb, 7200W, 240V/30A generator in the truck bed. Taking that same 350 mile trip, and say a realistic distance is 250 miles per charge. Let's say I travel 200 miles and stop at an out of the way location to take a lunch break. Out of the way meaning generator noise doesn't offend anyone. How long will I need to recharge at 7200W before I can reliably make the last 150 miles?

With that generator you would probably take about 8 hours to get an extra 150 miles. Easier and MUCH CHEAPER to just pull into a CCS DC fast charger and charge for 15 or 20 minutes. Probably cost you 8 or 10 bucks. Not sure where you live so don’t know your infrastructure situation. But around here if you travel 300 miles (500 kilometres or so) you’ll probably have passed 50 CCS DC fast chargers. Easy to find.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/21 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

With that generator...

I thought you left us. What happened?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

Reisender wrote:

With that generator...

I thought you left us. What happened?

Googled a water heater problem for a neighbour and up came RV.net. Figured I would look around and saw this thread. Logged in and decided to throw in my two cents. I’m always interested in EV stuff and it’s affects on RVing. We are still RV less. Probably till February or March. I’ll probably pop in from time to time although with no RV feels kinda weird. Still a good resource. Did you miss your resident pain in the a$$? [emoticon]

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's actually pretty simple. Tell your son he needs to move closer to you. [emoticon]

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Well, generally speaking you're probably in the minority. Most people probably drive much less than 300 miles in a day on average. But, in reality, electric vehicles are still mostly a niche market, with commuter and urban vehicles mostly making up the numbers.
Just got back from a one day 851 miles drive. The week before 632 miles in a day. So not convenient for some to go electric. When I get fuel I grab a sandwich & drink and use the restroom and back on the road in less then 10 minutes.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/21 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

Curious
What if I carried my 200lb, 7200W, 240V/30A generator in the truck bed. Taking that same 350 mile trip, and say a realistic distance is 250 miles per charge. Let's say I travel 200 miles and stop at an out of the way location to take a lunch break. Out of the way meaning generator noise doesn't offend anyone. How long will I need to recharge at 7200W before I can reliably make the last 150 miles?

Ford hasn't officially listed the battery size but based on charging estimates from Ford, it's around 150kwh of usable battery bank.

That's about 2 miles per kwh to get 300 mile range. A 7.2kw generator running for an hour might add 14miles (might be a little less depending on efficiency). This presumes the generator is rated for 7.2kw continuous output and the onboard charger won't be limited to some lower charging rate.

So if you crank up the generator and plug it in just before pulling out of the driveway...assuming you are running at 65mph, 350miles will take 5.4 hours. Assuming the generator is in the back running the whole time at max output, that will give you the 300mile battery range plus an extra 75miles from the generator for a total of 375mile range...ie: you have 25 miles left when you arrive.

There are probably some errors due to efficiency losses, so figure you will be limping in on the proverbial fumes. Keep in mind 7.2kw is roughly 10hp. A full size pickup at freeway speeds is likely drawing 60-80hp to keep up the speed.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/21 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Well, generally speaking you're probably in the minority. Most people probably drive much less than 300 miles in a day on average. But, in reality, electric vehicles are still mostly a niche market, with commuter and urban vehicles mostly making up the numbers.
Just got back from a one day 851 miles drive. The week before 632 miles in a day. So not convenient for some to go electric. When I get fuel I grab a sandwich & drink and use the restroom and back on the road in less then 10 minutes.

We spent the winter going from Michigan to Utah to S. Cal to South Texas to Florida to Michigan.

We had all of one day in excess of 250 miles.

Neither you nor I are typical.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

bgum wrote:

Charge during lunch and bathroom stops and you can make it in one day.
Provided there is a charging station along the route, and at the proper distance.

The administration's infrastructure bill plans to build 500,000 of them. Bet it will be in every corner considering there are just 168,000 gas stations in the country..

And charging overnight is needed if you are starting from zero charge.

If you are pulling an RV, most conservative is about 150 miles. That's about the same mileage with my gasser for bathroom,stretch and lunch breaks.

500,000 divided by 10 chargers at each station....50,000 charging stations.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

We spent the winter going from Michigan to Utah to S. Cal to South Texas to Florida to Michigan.

Yep. That's how normal people travel. Rushing to get somewhere 1,000 miles away is senseless. 250 miles is plenty. Even if you drove 500 miles a day, you only need 2-20 minute fast charges.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Yep. That's how normal people travel. Rushing to get somewhere 1,000 miles away is senseless. 250 miles is plenty. Even if you drove 500 miles a day, you only need 2-20 minute fast charges.
Sorry, but I don't think you get to decide what is "normal".

Many people simply don't agree with your estimation that 250 miles is plenty. I didn't until I got old, when I was younger my days of traveling with the trailer in tow were on the order of 500-600 miles until I got to my destination. Even my motorcycle traveling days were 350-400 miles/day. 3 weeks and 6500 miles were "normal" for me. "Normal"? It was for me at the time, and quite a few other people that I knew also traveled pretty much the same way.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New F-150 Electric P/U
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.