|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New F-150 Electric P/U

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Gooma

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/21 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A gas powered generator to charge an electric vehicle doesn't make sense.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/21 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gooma wrote:

Does it make sense to use hydro, coal, natural gas or nuclear?

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/21 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Thanks for the welcome. I’ll pop in from time to time. We have anchored on our next RV but won’t be buying till the new year so we feel a little funny posting on an RV board without an RV. Looks like we are going with a T@B 400 and towing with an EV SUV. Probably model Y or model X. Fellow in town has the model Y and T@B 400 combo and him and his wife are having a blast. And small enough to get on the smaller ferries that go to the smaller islands off Vancouver island. Some amazing hiking...assuming you don’t get eaten by a bear. [emoticon]. We put in a reservation for a model X just in case as the waiting list is 8 months to get one. But the reality is we’ll probably just get the model Y. It’s going to be a big change from that pusher. [emoticon].

Cheers.

Yeah, looks like a good combo. While mine is light and easy, yours is lighter and easier.

With DW getting the joy of convertible sofa, I don't think we're going back to a smaller unit and I loathe going bigger even with the higher capabilities of the Cybertruck.

Enjoy and keep your fans (and pre-enemies) updated, lol.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/21 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Gooma wrote:

Does it make sense to use hydro, coal, natural gas or nuclear?
You can use the gasoline directly to power the vehicle instead of using the gasoline to produce the electricity to then power the vehicle. The same can't be said for hydro, nuclear, and coal. Natural gas can be done, but it's not too common.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/21 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gooma wrote:

A lot of things that don't make sense to do on a regular basis make much more sense if only done when you are in a bind. If you can get by 90% of the time with plug in only and only use the generator as a bridge to cover the last 10% until infrastructure catches up it starts to make quite a bit more sense. Even more so if you need to have a generator along anyway. If Ford let us use the battery in the electric truck to provide AC power for camping a large generator run a few hours a day sounds better than a small one running all of the time.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/21 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gooma wrote:

The rise in the numbers of EV is proportional to the rise in electric generation from solar and other renewables -- and ahead in the West, err, Left Coast.

For future EV pick up owners, there could be add-on battery on truck bed like the gasser's auxiliary tank.

* This post was edited 06/30/21 12:14pm by Yosemite Sam1 *

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/21 04:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gooma wrote:

And yet, , if you are trying to go into more remote areas, and camp, you would be nuts to go without one.

Kampfirekid

usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/21 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wah, wah, wah… the Lightning is not designed for me. So what? Buy something else! I’m 6’-5” snd 260#. How many vehicles do you think I’d like but don’t fit in?
I’m watching the Lightning close. I have a reservation on one. I drive 150 miles a day. I’d charge with the 80A charger every night. At the miles I drive a year, I calculate saving over $325 a month in fuel a month, and I’m comparing it to my 3.0L Powerstroke I currently average 26+mpg average.
We average 150 to 200 miles away for camping, so I nay need to make some adjustments. But Ford appears to have underestimated the mileage as some say the extended range battery gets in excess of 460 miles. In addition, Ford supposedly estimated 300 miles with 1,000 pounds of cargo in the bed. Even if it’s a fraction of that, it still fits 90% of today’s weekend warrior truck users. I’m the exception at 800+ miles a week. If it fits your lifestyle, the Lightning will be a game changer as it is a real truck for real truck users, not like the Melon Tusk Blubber Wagon.

2019 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew. 5–/2 foot bed. 3.0L Powerstroke,
Loaded. 2020 K-Z Connect SE 241BHKSE

stsmark

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 10:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How’s the 3 liter Powerstroke do with the trailer? How’s it been overall?

Kampfirekid

usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/21 11:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stsmark wrote:

How’s the 3 liter Powerstroke do with the trailer? How’s it been overall?

No issues whatsoever. It won’t win any races towing, but it just pulls. Interstate driving with the 6,000# travel trailer, it stays in 10th gear all day long. This is with four adults in the cab and a 70# pup. I average 15-16mpg towing the TT, and 21mpg towing my flatbed that weighs about 5,000# with quads heading north. Daily driving empty is 26-27mpg. It does all I ask, and puts like a kitten. It’s no slouch off the line, and the torque is almost instant and on until around 9th or 10th gear over 70mph. It is no EcoBoost, but it’s mpg for daily driving high miles is what I wanted. Now as I consider a 5th wheel, it’s not up to that task.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New F-150 Electric P/U
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.