RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Cooling fan running?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Cooling fan running?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
1L243

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 10:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there anyway a Converter or Inverter when not plugged into shore power or turned on the cooling fan can run?

My wife was in the RV today with everything turned off and not plugged into shore power and she said she could hear a fan turn off? She was about 3 feet from the inverter and converter.

2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 11:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the inverter had been on just previously, it's possible they could have it set up with a thermostatic fan that keeps running until it's cooled down. I don't know if many (or even any) inverters actually do that, but it's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility. A converter set up that way would be much less likely in my estimation.

Is it possible the fan was associated with the fridge?

1L243

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/21 02:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everything has been turned off for over a week. The frige is off. Nothing is on or plugged in??

She can hear alot better than me if she says she heard it I believe it but can't figure out what it was.

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/21 02:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/21 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It IS possible for a Converter fan to come on without shore power. I get this when we prep a new unit and install the battery without the shore connected yet. It runs for a few minutes then shuts off. Doug

PS, I doubt you have an Inverter on a 2017 Coleman trailer

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/21 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since it runs on 12 volts yes it is possible. It is on a thermostat. If it gets hot enough it will run. Happens often in the hotter states. It will stop that when your temps return to normal.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/21 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Inverter changes 12 volts to 110/120 volts
Converter changes 110 volts to 12 volts
You might want to keep an eye on it and watch to see if it is over charging your battery when plugged into shore power. WFCO converters seem to be the low end of converters and the charging side goes bad and won't go into float mode. I had to replace my WFCO after 2 years of ownership of our Laredo. Went with a Progressive Industries one and have not had any problems since. The fan running means it needs to cool the converter down and if there is no load on it why would it be hot?

1L243

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/21 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

It IS possible for a Converter fan to come on without shore power. I get this when we prep a new unit and install the battery without the shore connected yet. It runs for a few minutes then shuts off. Doug

I have not heard it myself. I added the 2000 watt inverter with 500 watt solar. The inverter was turned off when my wife heard the fan come on when not plugged into shore power. I suspect it has to be the converter fan coming on.

GaryUT

Northern UT

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1L243 wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

I have not heard it myself. I added the 2000 watt inverter with 500 watt solar. The inverter was turned off when my wife heard the fan come on when not plugged into shore power. I suspect it has to be the converter fan coming on.

The way the dealer wired my solar controller it was back feeding the converter with the battery disconnected. With no shore power and the batteries disconnected the solar system would make the fan on the converter come on.

I fixed it by putting a disconnect switch for the solar system next to the battery disconnect.

Gary

2019 Keystone Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 Crew cab short bed

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1L243 wrote:

Is there anyway a Converter or Inverter when not plugged into shore power or turned on the cooling fan can run?

YES the fan runs on 12VDC (Battery power) and is controlled by a simple thermostat. so if the compartment where the device is located (usually a converter) gets hot enough the fan comes on.

Inverters normally need to be on for the fan to run.. NOTE I said Normally those fans too are thermostatic and though Mine only run wioth the inverter on.... I'd not guarantee yours is not different.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Cooling fan running?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.