|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Question: too much camper - too little truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/21 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Airbags most of the time are installed with a tee in the line that connects both bags to the compressor. This will level the truck, but won't help body roll at all because as the truck leans it's just pushing sire from the one bag to the other.

IF you install airbags with separate air feeds so they can't push air from one to the other, it will provide some stability as well.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/21 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Airbags most of the time are installed with a tee in the line that connects both bags to the compressor. This will level the truck, but won't help body roll at all because as the truck leans it's just pushing sire from the one bag to the other.

IF you install airbags with separate air feeds so they can't push air from one to the other, it will provide some stability as well.

Although I’ve heard of them being installed that way from posts on this site, I don’t know any cases personally of them being installed with a T or even installed with a compressor.

However, the Northwest/Rockies must be more experienced with RVs than some parts of the country. For sure, TCs are more popular out here.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/21 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kenkorona wrote:

Finally, after reading connects here and researching online, I believe my course of action will be...

You omitted the most important step. Weigh your rig before doing anything. Weight loaded for camping and make sure your wheels and tires are within load range. If not your first step will be an expensive conversion to 19.5 wheels and tires.

If the tires are ok, then I recommend skipping the sway bar and shocks until later, if at all. The first step should be to stiffen the springs. You can have a spring shop rebuilt the spring stack or much easier and cheaper, add SuperSprings. You may find that is all you need.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/21 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kenkorona wrote:

4) I'm kinda thinking that the Sumo/airbags wont cut down on the rear sag enough. If that's the case would it be possible to install a complete new set of leaf springs that are stiffer? If that's reasonable, do you have any suggestions about brands or where to start looking?

Airbags most certainly will take out the sag, UNLESS you are so hopelessly overweight, but it sounds like you are in the 4000-4500lb range.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Geewizard

WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/21 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sympathize with the OP but feel the need to ask the root questions:

-Did you research the weight of the desired TC?

-Did you research the capacity of the desired truck?

I spent 6 months gathering information on my truck/TC choices and it could be I'm kinda anal in that regard. I read a LOT of forums and did a LOT of Googling.

I also installed 10-ply tires, adjustable Rancho shocks, and airbags (with a T-connector by the way which works great....for my application). Those additions made a world of difference for me.

OP, you've gotten a lot of good ideas to help resolve your problem. I struggle with the idea that you should now buy a dually to put under your overweight TC.

* This post was edited 07/07/21 06:38pm by Geewizard *

2004 Outfitter Apex 8
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
2 Fullriver 100AH AGM batteries
Compressor fridge
Wave 3 Heater
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/21 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Really? Because every air bag kit I’ve purchased for a pickup came with 2 schrader valves and no tee.
Installing them linked together for hauling a truck camper is just ignorant, yet easily rectified if the installer had a cranial anal inversion while installing!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/21 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geewiz has some good suggestions, although even if one is not familiar enough with vehicles and campers to determine or understand payloads and weights, the internet will tell you the “rated” payload, so will the sticker and that a loaded 811 Eagle Cap is 4400lbs including 500lbs of personal gear. It will also tell you that the c o g is fine for a shortbed Superduty.

OP needs to get his truck fixed up to haul that thing, and after 10,000 miles that he’s lived to tell the tale about, it will drive like a dream comparatively once it’s setup right.

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/21 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kenkorona wrote:

3) install either Sumo Springs or Timbrens to prevent as much rear sag as possible. One article I read claimed that adding airbags (and I assume that implies Sumo's and Timbrens) would only increase the tippiness. Any comment on that?

Due to their inboard location on my old SRW F350, I found Timbrens increased the sway. Upper Stable Loads and a pair of Roadmaster anti-sway bars got it back where it was acceptable.

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

mi.drew

Greenbush, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/21 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Grit dog.

lonegunman

Eastern Washington

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 12:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Ken, Dont buy a new truck just get better advice. The dually crowd here is always pitching the same ****. I arrived in 2015 and was told to promptly buy a dually and get 19.5 inch tires and a plethora of other useless ****. I haul my Arctic Fox 865 on my short box Ford and have for six years with few problems. Other than bad advice on shocks from here.

Does your truck have a rear sway bar, yes or no? A camper package F350 usually does. If not, Big wig sway bar is the thing.

Airbags from Firestone will stop the sagging. Keep the airlines separate or they will shift air from one side to the other and rock will get worse. I measure the height to my rear bumper and set the air bags for my truck to ride evenly across the back. I check the air every 4 or 5 days on the road and almost never have to add air. The dealer was a turd for not helping you set up the truck correctly and sending you off. Most salesmen are scumbags, sorry for that.

Factory shocks are not up to the task, use KYB or Bilstein shocks. I use KYB Monomax, they do stiffen up the ride considerably when you have no camper on the truck. Anything Rancho is garbage, especially 9000XL's.

I added Torklift Stableloads to my upper overload spring, they bring it in a lot earlier. Good for sagging, rocking and weight but when the camper is off the truck it rides like a truck.

Keep your tires at 80psi when fully loaded. It will still rock occasionally but you will enjoy the ride a lot more. I'm heading out on my annual two week TC adventure and I am going thru three mountain ranges and down the coast. I'm not worried in the least.

When loaded up for an extended trip my truck rides nice, sways a little in the wind but nothing like your experience. My headlights point correctly and everything works great. Just remember you are fully loaded, so those 35mph curve signs are real. Avoid potholes, curbage and serious bumps to save tire damage.

* This post was edited 07/08/21 12:39am by lonegunman *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Question: too much camper - too little truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.