|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Arctic fox 990 rocking back and forth

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t carry anywhere close to 50 lbs of tools, but my real tool box is several hundred lbs. I carry a minimal screw driver set and mini rachet set combination, pliers, tape, and adjustable wrench. That’s all I’ve needed for minor work on the TC, and there isn’t much I could fix on the truck if it broke down. For that, I have AAA RV.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Wingit1971

sicklerville nj

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the advice! I bought stableloads for the truck and hopefully they will help. The overloads are engaged and the shocks are new.

Wingit1971

sicklerville nj

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

on another note.... I'm having a problem with the fridge running on LP. The error code is F (Burner not lighting?) Any advice on where to start troubleshooting that would be great.

TY!

Wingit1971

sicklerville nj

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't carry a ton of food and extra weight. I do carry a tool bag and a portable generator and I switched out the old batteries for lifepo 4's and converted the generator bay into another battery compartment. I know having SRW isn't ideal for the weight but I know it can handle it if I can get the suspension right.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wingit1971 wrote:

on another note.... I'm having a problem with the fridge running on LP. The error code is F (Burner not lighting?) Any advice on where to start troubleshooting that would be great.

TY!

https://thenorcoldguy.com/norcold-techni........flashing-every-second-lp-flame-problems/

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wingit1971 wrote:

Thanks for all the advice! I bought stableloads for the truck and hopefully they will help. The overloads are engaged and the shocks are new.

I dont think we ever got an answer to how your air bags are set up, do you have one fill for them or two, one for each bag? if it did get answered and I missed it sorry for the extra post.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Wingit1971

sicklerville nj

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ty very helpful

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

jimh425 wrote:

I don’t think there is any reason to assume 1000 for personal items. You can carry the same amount of stuff that you backpack … if you want. .....

Most of us with campers want to carry more than we would if backpacking.

Personal items might include:
generator and gas. I guess you could give up electricity and just use a flashlight.
outdoor chairs
compressor
tools
extension cord
clothing
bedding
towels
food....heavy, heavy
cooking gear, plates, utensils
toiletries, cosmetics
hobby gear, cameras, binocs
books, guides, maps
BBQ grill
Paper goods, including TP
RV toilet chemicals
bug spray
cleaning products

That is all I could think of in a couple of minutes. I am sure there is lots more. Food/drinks are one of the heaviest and can easily hit several hundred pounds.

Sure, you could leave it all at home. Or you could really cut back on the weight and leave the camper at home and just backpack.

wow, I dont know how you can fit all that stuff in a camper.

how about a solar panel and batteries (40Lbs for the panel say 5lbs for controler and wire) 10 lbs for outdoor chairs, compressor, I have a 3lb 12v one to blow up tires. tools maybe 5lbs, extension cord Ill say another 5, bedding 10lbs towels Ill be real geneorous and say 10 lbs, food, I guess if you eat out of a can you will be heavy, I would say 40lbs tops for a 3 to 4 day trip, you can go lighter if you shop fresh at local locations. all the rest I will give 50lbs, probably closer to 30.

now booze, ya you can get upwards of 50 lbs right there.

so added up Im at 228, so I might have under estimated somthing because last year when I went out for 10 days whith a whole bunch of scotch and a couple cases of beer I scalled 270 lbs over just the camper with full water and propain.

everyone loads to different weights, and I think the old add 1000lbs was geared more towards 5th wheels and biger campers where you have a ton of storage. when I take the 5th wheel out I am probably close or even over that 1000lbs, as I have an outdoor table, a BBQ, a Pellet smoker, kyacks, floats and outdoor toys, more tools, plus lots of caned goods, and so on and so on. bigger and more storage area lets you take all kinds of things you hardly use ....

Steve

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/21 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe my stuff weighs more. I have a 75' HD extension cord that has come in real handy. I bet it weighs a good 25#. Yup, solar panels, have 2 of them. With mounting brackets and hardware, they are surely in the 100# range. I also upgraded the 75# little battery to dual AGM batteries that weigh a total of 300#. I also have a Honda generator and a couple of cans of gas so I can fire up the A/C and charge batteries when camping in the shade.

I guess you plan for 3-4 day trips. I go for that many months and we initially full timed in our truck camper for a couple of years. That adds to the necessary food supply. Typically I can eat out of camper storage for a couple of weeks. I also carry enough clothing to handle 3 1/2 seasons and to avoid Laundromats for up to about a month.

If you are a weekend camper, I guess it must not make much sense what is needed to travel for longer periods into the weeks or months. The last time I was in your area I stocked up and spent the night at the Kamloops Costco. After that I went up north of Banff and then it was a couple weeks or so before I made it to Jasper for the next grocery stop.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Or, in short, some people exaggerate, some pack rock collections in their camper (seen it here…only on rvnet…), some pack for 3 weeks in the bush, some should switch from beer to whiskey and if they need 50lbs of whiskey, seek counseling, and some pack light.
The one common theme is, use a little common sense, but calorie counting everything you put in your camper down to the nearest pound means, either you’re expert level ocd, for which I’m sorry, or you have far too much time on your hands and should pickup another hobby.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Arctic fox 990 rocking back and forth
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.