RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Pickup bed delete or cab chassis (C&C)?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Pickup bed delete or cab chassis (C&C)?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
CO-traveler

Denver Metro

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/21 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, exploring the idea of putting a truck camper on a custom flatbed, something like a SherpTek so I can get more storage. I'll be ordering my 3500 DRW new but trying to decide on the standard 3500 dually with pick-up bed delete option or a 3500 cab and chassis DRW. Anyone have any opinion on this?

Both have a GVWR of 14,000. Not sure if licensing, registering, and insuring a C&C presents some hurdles as it won't be for business but for personal use. I'm in Colorado.

Thanks!

Sagebrush

Jacksonville AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/21 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago the 5500 Ram had a much beefier chassis which included bigger brakes, axles and tires/rims. Gearing options were different different transmission too. Straight frame rails, stiffer springs. Second fuel tank, but you lost the wind up spare tire. I've seen them built into overland campers with military style SRW tires on them.

Haven't looked at a Ram 3500 C&C in a while. I guess they still have the rear fuel tank, check and see if the frame is different. Not familiar with the other brands...

I would think the straight frame rails on the heavier C&C model is more desirable for custom mounting a camper body.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/21 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would check with who is building the custom flatbed on cost both ways. Also, I’d consider other brands. The Ford Chassis can come with a higher GVWR even in the F350 DRW at 16000. But, maybe the GM chassis can be had in a higher GVWR.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/21 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A thing to be thinking about is width.
A pickup dually has a wider rear axle than a cab & chassis dually.
That’s so the inner dual stays where a single wheel would have been, and the pickup box fits without clearance issues with the inside tire against the inside wheelwells.
A pickup dually will give you more space between the duals for your camper, without it having to be completely above the tires.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

CO-traveler

Denver Metro

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/21 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

That’s so the inner dual stays where a single wheel would have been, and the pickup box fits without clearance issues with the inside tire against the inside wheelwells.
A pickup dually will give you more space between the duals for your camper, without it having to be completely above the tires.

Good point, thanks. I'm also worried that the C&C frame is higher off the ground than the pickup version and will further increase that top-heavy feeling when turning or cornering.

Like someone else mentioned, I should reach out to SherpTek and see what they recommend.

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/21 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you planning on a flatbed model TC or the slide-in version? Sherp-Tek is big money....I was thinking of a Hillsboro 2000 w added boxes.

The slide-in allows for longer boxes for skis, fishing rods, etc. Also the slide-in versions have a wider audience so that would lead to a quicker re-sale down the road.

Are the fuel tanks the same size and/or does the C&C offer an added tank option?

CO-traveler

Denver Metro

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/21 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am planning on a slide-in. I have not found a flat bed model TC that I like. I think the C&C gas has a 63.5 gallon total (front and rear) 2 tanks capacity. The regular Silverado 3500 HD is 36 gals, so a win for the C&C.

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/21 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CO-traveler wrote:

I am planning on a slide-in. I have not found a flat bed model TC that I like. I think the C&C gas has a 63.5 gallon total (front and rear) 2 tanks capacity. The regular Silverado 3500 HD is 36 gals, so a win for the C&C.

If I do eventually get a flatbed TC I am going to go with a 350/3500 SRW and Hallmark pop-up TC. (It has a side door option.) A top heavy TC doesn't appeal to me nor does a dually(other than payload), unless a DRW ---> SRW conversion kit becomes available for GM's. I do favor the GM's over the other 2.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CO-traveler wrote:

burningman wrote:

Good point, thanks. I'm also worried that the C&C frame is higher off the ground than the pickup version and will further increase that top-heavy feeling when turning or cornering.

Like someone else mentioned, I should reach out to SherpTek and see what they recommend.

A flatbed by definition is flat, and is going to be above the wheels no matter which frame type you choose.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

zb39

slippery rock

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just put a Host cascade on a 2021 Ram 5500. I have had many Ram 3500's and 3 Ram 5500's The C&C
are built way stronger. I ordered the trucks so I have dual alternators and dual tanks for 74 gallons total.
I went with a CM skirted bed in steel. I also had a full Kelderman air ride put on. Best mod ever. Weight is not an issue for me. We flat tow a 2 door JLR. Good luck with your build.

2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Pickup bed delete or cab chassis (C&C)?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.