|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Finally made it to the Cat scales

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next
Sponsored By:
Longshore

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Getting the truck right took longer because of the Covid related supply issues but I did this to simulate a full camper....

I had a full black and grey tank. Fresh was almost empty. Stocked the kitchen with pots and utensils and such. My clothes, camping gear like axe and battery powered chainsaw, a heavy tool box I will make much lighter. Truck had full fuel tank and full propane tanks.....

11,660. 160 over gross. The worst part is the rear axle is 7,300lbs which is 200 over GRAWR. Front axle was 4360lbs.

My thinking was the extra liquid weight would offset the absence of additional people. Black and grey tanks hold 30 gal. Each. Not sure how realistic a scenario this was...

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That’s better than most. The dirty little secret is most people are over even with a DRW because the trucks weigh more and the very long TCs weigh more. I’m under normally, but I would have been over with another couple and pulling a TT even with my 9 1/2 ft TC and 14500 GVWR.

I found with my SRW that I drove for years … the truck handled a lot differently with black/grey tanks full due to where the tanks are. That rearward weight isn’t noticable on my much heavier DRW. Both were setup the same way with the same TC except for shocks. My F450 handled great even with 4 people and pulling a TT.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How are you holding tanks located?
On my 12' campers, they were in the very rear, so 60 gallons @ 8 lb would add 480 lb waste weight, or placed 7' behind rear axle 600-700 lb added to the rear suspension.
Empty the tanks before each longer drive.
In my case 200lb of gray water made for rig purposing .

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/21 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What truck and TC please?

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Longshore

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry phillyg. Truck Is a 2015 GMC CCSB 3500 SRW with Timbren SES. Camper is a 2021 Wolf Creek 890. The head is just forward of gravity center, black tank runs long way on the right side, but most of that tank is rearward. The fresh tank is visable under the step up to the bunk, but I have not seen the grey. It must be on the left side and run long ways. I figured that I would leave on a trip with a full fresh tank and empty black and grey. Also there was no groceries in the fridg.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If that's an srw and the rear axle is scaling at 7300 you better check your tire ratings.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Longshore

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup Buzzcut tires are next. 3525 ain't gonna be enough with this much on the tail. But the black and grey tanks run north and south, and I'm not sure how much is rearward. When I go off with the family they will be in the truck, all luggage will be as far forward as possible and the fresh water tank would be full.

Might be time to explore spare tire relocation? But tires are next.....

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So with your camper we can assume your holding tanks have COG close to camper COG, what is very close to the rear axle.
So dumping tanks will lower rear load by 480lb.
Relocating spare tire on front bumper will lower rear axle load by about 200lb, but it looks redneck.

Longshore

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agreed Kayteg1. Not a good look. I am waiting on a call back for some F rated tires.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Longshore wrote:

Yup Buzzcut tires are next. 3525 ain't gonna be enough with this much on the tail. But the black and grey tanks run north and south, and I'm not sure how much is rearward. When I go off with the family they will be in the truck, all luggage will be as far forward as possible and the fresh water tank would be full.

Might be time to explore spare tire relocation? But tires are next.....

On my old SRW I was at 7450 on the rear axle with the truck and camper loaded to camp. Had a blow out running Toyo Opencounrty LT285/75R16 rated at 3750.

Swapped to Vision heavy hauler 19.5 Wheels and Cooper Roadmaster rm253 Tires 245/79/R19.5 both rated at 4500 Pounds and never looked back

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Finally made it to the Cat scales
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.