RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Finally made it to the Cat scales

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Finally made it to the Cat scales

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
specta

utah

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2001

View Profile



Posted: 07/12/21 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

n0arp wrote:


It is our responsibility on public lands to leave no trace and provide management with absolutely no justification to close them.


Exactly.

As I mentioned in an earlier post I dig a hole and slowly drain my gray water into it.

None of my gray water ever reaches the surface of the ground and then I bury it. None of my gray water ever touches the surface.

"In many locations, digging a cat hole for one-time use is the acceptable method for disposing of human waste, but under some circumstances, digging a pit toilet for multiple uses is allowed. A pit toilet or earthen pit privy is a toilet facility consisting of a privacy shelter, a hole dug in the ground, and a stool with an opening into the hole. These can be used while dispersed camping if they are at least 25 feet from a camping area and 200 feet from a water source. Once finished with the pit toilet, you must fill it in with original soil and compact the soil in the hole, leaving a mound of extra soil on top to allow for settlement. More information on the regulations for pit toilets can be found in Utah Code R317-560. For more information on how to properly dig a pit toilet, see this article by Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics."

If you can dig a hole to bury human waste I see no problem digging a hole to dispose of my gray water.

Interpret things the way you want. I have spoken to the people who do know and I've read the rules.


Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.


jimh425

Western MT

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2006

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 07/12/21 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Interpret things the way you want..


Obviously, that’s what you are doing even though links have been provided that the Utah agencies say otherwise. [emoticon] At this point, I’m pretty sure you are just pulling our leg.

Using your interpretation there is no limit for how much gray water you can dump, so a fiver with 100 gallons would be just fine. Or, if you carried hundreds of gallons of fresh to replenish your gray to dump that would be fine as well.

Also, it’s funny that you think we believe that you dig a hole big enough to hold your entire gray tank and redig if that hole won’t perc sit and let it drain, and you also bring something to compact with. I’m sure much of your dirt is as hard as ours come the dry season.


'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.


Longshore

California

Full Member

Joined: 08/07/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/16/21 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Using my camper in my driveway and getting to know the different systems, I have filled and dumped the grey tank twice. Nice down hill run to the flower/succulent garden. I found out I could squeeze out four showers out the 30 gallon tank. I was hoping to get five...

Buzzcut1

Norcal

Senior Member

Joined: 10/04/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/16/21 10:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Longshore wrote:

Using my camper in my driveway and getting to know the different systems, I have filled and dumped the grey tank twice. Nice down hill run to the flower/succulent garden. I found out I could squeeze out four showers out the 30 gallon tank. I was hoping to get five...


if you do navy showers you should be able to get way more. Wet down, shut off, soap up, turn on, rinse, shut off.


2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags


JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/17/21 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

I wouldn't lose sleep over a couple hundred pounds myself.

How new are the tires? How much camping are you planning on doing? I wouldn't worry much about the tires in the near term if they're fairly new. I'd plan on replacing the tires sooner rather than later especially if you plan on doing a lot of overloaded driving.


burningman wrote:


I’m perfectly comfortable ignoring pickup truck weight “ratings” as most are entirely artificial numbers.
But you won’t catch me running at or over a tire’s rating. Those are real numbers.


I spent most of my working life in trucks. And in that time I have paid thousands of dollars in overload fines. I had 1 Local write me and my drivers a bunch of tickets because our gross weight was about 30,000 pounds (yes, 15 tons) over the GCVWR on the ID plate. All dismissed in court.
But the load rating on tires is checked closely and enforced on CMVs
Now no law enforcement is likely to look at the ratings on your RV tires, but there must be a reason they worry so much about it on trucks.

jimh425

Western MT

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2006

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 07/17/21 05:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

I had 1 Local write me and my drivers a bunch of tickets because our gross weight was about 30,000 pounds (yes, 15 tons) over the GCVWR on the ID plate. All dismissed in court.
But the load rating on tires is checked closely and enforced on CMVs
Now no law enforcement is likely to look at the ratings on your RV tires, but there must be a reason they worry so much about it on trucks.


It’s hard to say why some laws exist. It’s not like all laws are logical. In any case, you say your tickets were all dismissed, so it seems like maybe you made somebody mad or they just like writing tickets. Neither of those are relevant to two tires being 200 lbs over since in your case, you were over GCVWR not the tire rating.

Putting it another way, if tires were going to explode just by being slightly over, I think we’d see it more. That being said, my TC/truck is under GVWR. However, it is very common to see big TCs on SRWs in the Northwest. I’m not saying people should do it or not, but being 400-500 lbs over on a 11500 GVWR is way less than most of those guys.

Obviously, it is better to not be over GVWR, but many RVs are including DRWs.

JimK-NY

NY

Senior Member

Joined: 05/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/17/21 05:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Longshore wrote:

Using my camper in my driveway and getting to know the different systems, I have filled and dumped the grey tank twice. Nice down hill run to the flower/succulent garden. I found out I could squeeze out four showers out the 30 gallon tank. I was hoping to get five...


I do a lot of boondock camping in the desert SW. After a day hiking in the heat, a shower is a necessity but water is usually scarce. I have learned to take a Navy style shower with a total of 1 gallon of water. Drinking, cooking and dish washing takes another couple of gallons for a total of 3 gallons a day. When my wife is with me the total is about 5 gallons a day. When the weather is cooler, we sponge off and skip some of the showers.

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/17/21 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:



It’s hard to say why some laws exist. It’s not like all laws are logical. In any case, you say your tickets were all dismissed, so it seems like maybe you made somebody mad or they just like writing tickets. Neither of those are relevant to two tires being 200 lbs over since in your case, you were over GCVWR not the tire rating.

Putting it another way, if tires were going to explode just by being slightly over, I think we’d see it more. That being said, my TC/truck is under GVWR. However, it is very common to see big TCs on SRWs in the Northwest. I’m not saying people should do it or not, but being 400-500 lbs over on a 11500 GVWR is way less than most of those guys.


Obviously, it is better to not be over GVWR, but many RVs are including DRWs.


My point is I have paid overload tickets when overloaded, but it was for being over the legal limits the government puts on their roads. And I have had tickets dismissed because I was over a manufactures "rating", and only 1 cop ever wrote such a ticket. But the few times I have been caught over a tire rating that fine has stood.

Longshore

California

Full Member

Joined: 08/07/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/17/21 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yesterday I removed the B&W turnover ball hitch that was dead weight, comes in around 90lbs. No brainer. Next I pulled the stall mat out and survived. These things are 100lbs and will put a whoppin on you if you're not careful. I do have a mat coming from Realtruck, a Gator that is only 5/16 thick and supposed to fit real nice. And I was able to get the toolbox weight down a whole bunch too so the situation improves...

MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

Senior Member

Joined: 10/29/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/18/21 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Longshore wrote:

Yesterday I removed the B&W turnover ball hitch that was dead weight, comes in around 90lbs. No brainer. Next I pulled the stall mat out and survived. These things are 100lbs and will put a whoppin on you if you're not careful. I do have a mat coming from Realtruck, a Gator that is only 5/16 thick and supposed to fit real nice. And I was able to get the toolbox weight down a whole bunch too so the situation improves...


Good to see you're finding dead weight to remove.


2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Finally made it to the Cat scales
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.