|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Double Chargng

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/21 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is happening too much to be happenstance.

I'm not sure when it began but double charging. First I remember was at Bass Pro for over a hundred dollars and didn't catch it at the counter.
Then it was here and there and over the Internet too on purchases and payments. Wife juts now got one reversed...and it will take days or weeks in most cases to get our money credited back to our accounts.
have to suspect that many errors are generating income on the float, like many fuel stations use t and may still do. Tell them how much you will be putting in the tank and they charge the card. How many times have I been wrong by a hundred dollars, I don't know but it was it will be credited back to your account in a few days to two weeks, like the Pilot in Mississippi in 2012 or the $1000,00 over charge for motel room in Missouri. Yes,I raised hell.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many places put holds on cards. Like Gas stations, hotels, merchants etc. Double or pending charges on your bank account or credit card do not necessarily mean that you have been charged twice. At this point, the funds are "held" and deducted from the customer's credit limit (or bank balance, for a debit card), but are not yet transferred to the merchant. But true double charging is a financial crime. Not only should it be reversed, it should be reported as a crime. But make sure it's actually double charging and not a hold. The double charge that you see on your bank statement is most likely an authorization (pending charge), rather than a real charge.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've seen that frequently as a $1.00 hold to validate the CC. Generally, it turns into a full charge for the amount you buy. Sometimes, it appears as a guestimate for how much you might charge for a full tank.

It's usually when you go inside store to activate the pump, not at the pump itself which knows how much gas you're pumping. Usually happens in less populated areas, too. Mom and Pop stores, more rural.

We've seen it disappear after a day or so, and the full charge takes its place. We watch, to make sure it happens. Very seldom has it not. Once or twice maybe, and we got it corrected with no hassle.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First off, this is an excellent reason to use credit card rather than a debit card. And second, in all the years I've been using credit cards, several decades at least, I've never had a double charge happen...ever.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/21 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago, the Mac users club of which I was part had a member who was head of the Virginia State Police cybercrime unit, dealing mostly with credit/debit card fraud at the time. He made a presentation to the club on how to minimize your risk.

His tips included NEVER using a debit card anywhere except at your bank, and especially never at a merchant of any sort. His reasoning: getting your money back should fraud occur was a long, tedious, painful process; whereas all credit cards have strong consumer protections from the feds, debit cards do not, and the banks will jerk you around. The second tip was to never let your credit card out of your sight. Not at one of those gas stations that insist you must leave the card with the clerk while you go pump gas, not in the hands of the waiter/waitress, nowhere. His reason; skimmers were then small and easily hand held. The wrong person gets hold of your card, it'll be duplicated and fraudulent charges made by the time you get back to your car. And that was then, it's even faster now.

He said he was investigating cases of people having done those things and suffering the consequences. gas jockeys, wait staff, and retail clerks come and go. It is not uncommon for them to work only one or two shifts, and move on, so his ability to catch them was severely limited.

Once or twice over the years I've been traveling and stopped for fuel and had the clerk demand I leave my card. I say sorry, not happening, and left for another gas station. At the very least, that demand tells me that the station if frequented by a rough crowd, and I'm not interested in getting mugged while pumping gas. There is always a safer station nearby.

Be alert, folks.

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Helpful info:

Lost, Stolen, or Fraudulently Used Credit/Debit Card

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen holds. Only once have I had a double charge and the company quickly corrected it....

I have seen statements however where "Hold" was placed for say 75 dollars then a Charge for the same amount (At a Gas pump for an RV usually) and the customer did not understand the HOLD was the same transaction. the Bank, however, did.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suppose it could happen, and does happen, but I also have never had a problem after having the waitperson take my card. Maybe some places are more risky than others, but I guess there's a fine line between cautious and paranoid. I still feel you're more likely to have your information stolen from the credit card/bank/credit union/grocery store data base than from the local waitperson. JMO of course.

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

naturist wrote:

His tips included NEVER using a debit card anywhere except at your bank, and especially never at a merchant of any sort. His reasoning: getting your money back should fraud occur was a long, tedious, painful process; whereas all credit cards have strong consumer protections from the feds, debit cards do not, and the banks will jerk you around. The second tip was to never let your credit card out of your sight. Not at one of those gas stations that insist you must leave the card with the clerk while you go pump gas, not in the hands of the waiter/waitress, nowhere. His reason; skimmers were then small and easily hand held. The wrong person gets hold of your card, it'll be duplicated and fraudulent charges made by the time you get back to your car. And that was then, it's even faster now.

We use our Debit Card for everything except online purchases. We did have a problem a few years ago with fraudulent charges on our Debit Cards. Had both our cards effected and had them both replaced. Less than a couple weeks later, my wife's card had fraudulent charges again. So we knew it was a vendor in the area where we camp seasonally. Had her card replaced again. The stopped using the debit cards that summer. Two summers in a row we had fraudulent charges on our Debit Cards. We haven't had an issue since. With those instances, we got our money back in our account within 24 hours of returning the affidavits to bank. The first year, we had to print the affidavits, sign them and then fax them back. The next year, everything was done digitally.

Years ago, on an Easter Sunday, I got a call from PayPal that they suspected a fraudulent charge on my PayPal account that was deducted from our Bank Account. This was about 12 years ago. Getting our money back then was a little more tedious and took about a week. But things have greatly improved since then.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use no 'middle man' - like Paypal- money app for anything - no Debit card. We use our CC, and can track it anytime we charge. Bank sends a notice instantly, amount and the person or business. We can dispute it as soon as we get onto our bank site if we disagree.

Some companies don't take CC or Debit... They don't get our sale either. Altho, we do pay cash some places, but that can't become fraud.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Double Chargng
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.