RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Can morbidly obese person use a travel trailer?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Can morbidly obese person use a travel trailer?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Sagebrush

Jacksonville AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/21 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been well over 300 pounds, the lighter the trailer the less it help up my weight. A smaller work/play type RV would have a stronger floor. The biggest problem will probably be the shower and maybe the toilet, but he could use a CG bath house. I was about 319 pounds naked when I owned my Arctic Fox TT and had no issues. I had a large residential style shower, but I wasn't 400 pounds either, so don't know first hand. All my RV's had porcelain toilets. The Artic Fox floors felt very solid, my light weight toy hauler floors flex some under my 270 pound weight. My current trailer would not hold up to a 400 pounder, I know that.

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My buddy lived in one for years. I think he made use of the RV parks restrooms if I'm not mistaken. He was so proud of it...it had the "northwoods package."

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was curious seeing the post title, after reading the OP's post simple answer

It's non of my business

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad I wasn't the only one that could not stop thinking of the toilet and small bathroom.
No, no way 400 lbs makes a job in a small camper bathroom, and unlikely to get a shower either.

Do you weld? Cross members could be put under the walking-area of the floor by just welding in some extra pieces, or wood could be used, like 2x4s but that is a little more work. An extra layer of wood on the floor can be added on top if needed also, if that even becomes a problem.

Get rid of the folding step, it will break or bend the camper main frame. A step stool on the ground will have to do and he might not be that agile at 400 lbs either, he does not sound healthy.

I don't think the weight is an issue for the camper otherwise, just his size and agility. If the shoe fits, wear it...

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/21 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you ever been to an RV show? I see the size of some of the people that are looking at lightweight trailers and just wonder how it works out in the end...

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

horse trailers with living accommodations and a steel floor might be an option. Some of them are really nice and expensive. Area for the horses can be used for cargo, etc.

ksbowman

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend of mine's son weighted just over 500#. He lost his job as a truck driver because he kept bending the stairs on the truck even after the trucking company had moved his seat for his stomach to clear the wheel. He wasn't that heavy when they hired him ( 275# ) but when he continued to gain weight they asked him to lose some. All that did was make him bitter. After losing his job he eventually fell thru the floor of his mobile home and had to call the fire department to get him out. If a mobile home couldn't hold his weight I have doubts that a travel trailer would hold up the weight of your friend.

falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those beds may not support that kind of weight..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Can morbidly obese person use a travel trailer?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.