|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> This may not be good news for full timers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://rvbusiness.com/woodbury-consequences-of-rvings-unprecedented-surge/

I am not affected by this so I am not worried, alarmed or upset. Saw this on another so so smaller RV forum. Just posting this for your thoughts if any. Cheers to many and jeers to Kir and Bar

* This post was last edited 07/09/21 03:43pm by NamMedevac 70 *   View edit history

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/21 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep in mind this report was published Oct 10, 2020. I work for an RV dealer that has monthly shows away from the main store. We've had our monthly shows since Covid began and (even with imposed Covid restrictions on how we operate) the people keep coming out to buy. Initially we were setting sales records. We normally have well over 200 units at a show but lately it's been 60 to 80 units because we can't get inventory fast enuf. Yet RV's are still moving off the lot in big numbers.

With just our stores sales, it makes me wonder where all these people are camping or are their RV's sitting in storage? Last Sept-Oct, wife and I did our big trip from AZ to SD and MI and back. We had no problems booking a space for a few days at destination-type parks such as Mt Rushmore or in the MI UP. The overnight parks we stayed at were nowhere near capacity. One thing I have always done, though, is get a reservation even if it's for the night and rarely is there ever a problem.

On a more local note we've been to some AZ state parks this past year and had no problems getting a last-minute space for a few days. I'm not knocking them but the reason is our north-of-the-border friends are in lockdown and can't come to AZ for the winter.

Bottom line is I haven't really seen any significant increase in RV park usage

* This post was edited 07/09/21 04:00pm by azdryheat *

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/21 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clicky

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have posted on here before and will now. I have seen no empty sales lots. There are 2 local between Asheboro, NC and Apex, NC that are running over with inventory. Up above Richmond, VA on I 95 they are chuck full on both sides of the road. I have been all over the South East from PA to FL and only once saw a park full, once. That was on I-81 in Winchester, VA. I was in TN over the 4th and stayed in 2 different campgrounds without reservations. Called in the morning to stay that night one in Bristol and one in Pigeon Forge.
I keep reading these doom and gloom posts but I just don,t see it. Heading out in the morning and have no reservations!

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/21 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The article is from last October and quite a bit has changed since then obviously. Cruise ships are starting to sail again, air travel has picked back up, and vacation venues that closed are opening back up. The summer RV'ing peak is approaching as usual, and fulltimers do need to work a bit harder to find longer term stays of a few weeks or months, but overnights while traveling are seldom much of a problem. In the long run, I really expect as the COVID-19 dust settles that we'll see a glut in the used RV market as many "newbies" revert back to their previous vacation modes.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/21 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, that article is labeled as an opinion piece; and maybe not factual. The pictures of dismantled cruise ships looks more than a little photo shopped. Air travel? I have a nephew that's a first officer for Delta. He came back from a 5 month air national guard deployment to the Middle East wondering if he'd still have a job. He's flying his maximum hours monthly now. And cruise travel? My wife and I booked a Western Caribbean cruise (bucket list thing for me) in April 2023. Wanted to go in 2022 but the suites (and most of the ship) was booked on the line/vessel we chose.

Maybe he's just pumping the RV industry?

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Meanwhile, RVs are selling faster than manufacturers can build them and there is no end in sight

There will be an end, and it won't be too far away - RV's are expensive depreciating assets and not only do they depreciate fast, but a lot of us have to pay to park them, and they're expensive to operate (whether you drive or tow, gas is not cheap) and require a lot of ongoing maintenance.

A lot of people are going to realize that with COVID restrictions lifting, they don't use it enough to justify that $600/month payment + $200 month storage fee for an RV that's developed a leak and now they have to pay someone to fix it.

My guess is that by next year there's going to start to be a lot of used inventory on the market.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlw999 wrote:

Quote:

Meanwhile, RVs are selling faster than manufacturers can build them and there is no end in sight

There will be an end, and it won't be too far away - RV's are expensive depreciating assets and not only do they depreciate fast, but a lot of us have to pay to park them, and they're expensive to operate (whether you drive or tow, gas is not cheap) and require a lot of ongoing maintenance.

A lot of people are going to realize that with COVID restrictions lifting, they don't use it enough to justify that $600/month payment + $200 month storage fee for an RV that's developed a leak and now they have to pay someone to fix it.

My guess is that by next year there's going to start to be a lot of used inventory on the market.

Very well said.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV Park Upgrades and New builds are at an all time high.....

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/21 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stopped at a local RV place for some parts and stopped to see a salesman. When I asked him if he sold any campers that will be back in for sale next year. He said they sold some that he was sure would be back in less then a year.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> This may not be good news for full timers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.