RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Size Matters???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Size Matters???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Quadcab

SW Lower Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just found out our new special ordered 2022 F-350 4x4 SB Supercab Lariat SRW Truck with the 7.3 Gas Engine will be in before the end of August. In the meantime DW and I are trying to decide on our "last" 5th wheel to spend our retirement years in. We have been researching & looking at 5vers anywhere from 34' to almost 40', GVWR of 13,000 - 16,000 lbs. I am leaning toward the larger units that give us more living space, and my wife is more concerned about safely towing a larger rig & is reluctant to seriously consider them. We anticipate travelling frequently, not full-time, mostly camping & exploring new areas of interest. Most trips would be less than 800 miles one way. Should we be more conservative and only consider lighter 5th wheels 36' or under, or do you think we will be happier with the space a bigger 5ver will give us? I know this may come down to personal preferences, but we would appreciate any feedback from others who have had to make a similar decision.

Quadcab
2018 Titan XD 5.6 V8 Kingcab
2018 PT Crusader Lite 28RL

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/21 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My opinion is that if you don’t plan to full time in it you can go a bit shorter and concentrate on a floor plan and options that meet your (hers) needs. If you are considering going FT in the near future then perhaps look at something bigger.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/21 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like smaller to fit in more places with less hassle. 34' would be my maximum not minimum.
Depends on where you like to stay also.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are at the point after 3 decades of RVing with various sizes and classes of RVs, add to that it is now mostly just my DW and I, we went big as we are planning to do extended stays. Appears your new truck is stout enough to handle whatever size rig as even the largest 5ers are being built lighter than ever before.

It is by far our roomiest RV ever @ 40', and yes it might be difficult to get into some of the older RV sites, but we have done so much of that type of camping with our kids it is time to relax and enjoy the spaciousness. We kept our previous RV anyway for those type of trips, although it has been sitting idle for awhile.

wanderingaimlessly

Smokey Mountains

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may want to compromise, look at the smallest units you believe you would be comfortable with for long periods.
There are plenty of rigs in the weight and size range you listed that are capable of meeting both requirements. Tank sizes, W/D setups and bathroom areas are really the biggest differences.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What ever you do never forget::: if momma isn't happy no one is happy.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to look carefully at the payload rating of your new truck, and the pin weights of the 5ers you are considering. And know the loaded pin weights will be higher than the published empty pin weights. Could be a lot higher if you load it to full cargo carrying capacity. Start getting near the 40’ range and the pin weight may be too much for your SRW. Even some in the 35’ range are pretty heavy. I would definitely looking at the lighter weight models, especially if you want to go long.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People can give advice on carrying capacity and practicality of size, but only you can decide which is more important: size inside, or size outside, i.e., living in it, or parking it. Very personal decision. We went for living inside in comfort. And so far we've never had much of an issue finding someplace to park. We did downsize a little with our latest toyhauler: from 39 feet to 38 feet. [emoticon]

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a small load on my tandem dually gooseneck today and towed it 300 miles and over a couple mountain passes. My gross combined weight was just under 22000 lbs. While I was driving I was thinking “at this weight I don’t think I would know anything is behind me without looking in the mirrors.” I think the new Ford F-350 SRW 7.3 would handle a 16000 lb trailer extremely well. That said, for the occasional camping that my wife and I do we have absolutely no desire for anything larger than our 36’ fiver. Although we do sometimes haul a motorcycle on the back of the fifth wheel.

Edit: I guess I should point out that I have the Powerstroke so I seldom see over 1500 rpm and almost never over 2000 rpm with that kind of load. I would hope your expecting the 7.3 will need to rev a little to make power.

* This post was edited 07/10/21 10:27pm by 4x4ord *

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Sagebrush

Jacksonville AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/21 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 44' triple axle 5th wheel with the huge slides so it was very roomy inside. But I did have trouble finding nice RV sites for it on short notice. It was 15,700 or so empty and loaded up it was a bear in the mountains. Pin weight was was too much for a SRW truck. Down in Florida I always had to be extra careful to squeeze into those old campgrounds. I usually ended up at the more rustic places inland at monthly rates.

Had a heavy 40' Cedar Creek Day Dreamer that weighed 16K plus for full timing and it wasn't much fun pulling that weight in the mountains either. But it had less overhang and tandem axles that handled good.

I just don't enjoy pulling those heavy suckers long distance, I down sized to a much lighter mid rise 29' for occasional use and its tight inside but easy to move around. If I went back to full time I would stay around 35' or less OAL. I had a 9,800 dry 34'-4" OAL rig and that was a good size for moving around every couple weeks and easy on the truck. I probably should have kept it!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Size Matters???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.