RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Size Matters???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Size Matters???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/21 12:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well weeks or months of travel at a time. We comfortably full time in a 32’ 5er. So several week trips in a 34’ 5er should not be an issue. The 800 miles one way say mostly flat land towing so the 7.3 should not be an issue for power. Likewise with gas engine payload should not be an issue even with a 40’ 16,000# GVWR.
Only consider a diesel if you want to head to either coast with a heavy 5er.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/21 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Often times the lighter models, like the one you have now, have less CCC, and smaller tanks. While you should do well with a 36' FW, be sure it has the capacities to handle extended trips. You will appreciate added closet space, and maybe W/D area.

Jerry

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/21 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“ mostly camping & exploring new areas…”

The smaller you go the more exploring you can do.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/21 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quadcab wrote:

. . . We have been researching & looking at 5vers anywhere from 34' to almost 40', GVWR of 13,000 - 16,000 lbs. I am leaning toward the larger units that give us more living space, and my wife is more concerned about safely towing a larger rig & is reluctant to seriously consider them. We anticipate travelling frequently, not full-time, mostly camping & exploring new areas of interest. Most trips would be less than 800 miles one way . . .
What constitutes the right size RV/camper is definitely a matter of personal preference. After owning a 33 ft. TT and 33 ft 5r for a number of years, we downsized to a very well-equipped, in-bed truck camper. After two years and 25k mi. we've concluded it was one of the best decisions we've ever made. For us, being able to stop, sightsee, fuel up, make a u-turn, and camp just about anywhere, puts a smile on our face much more often than the his/her recliners, sofa, kitchen island, ceiling fans, and a huge basement with the kitchen sink ever did. Our truck camper has an 80x60 queen-size bed, face-to-face dinette, bathroom/shower, stove/oven/micro, TV/sat, a/c, heat, and a 8cf fridge---all the basic comforts we need. Keeps us more than happy while we're on the road.

No, we're not saying the OP should purchase a truck camper. What we are saying is, with the larger rigs you have more overhead while traveling, parking, sightseeing, fueling up, maneuvering and camping. Yes, for a lot of folks these cons pale against the pros of having all the comforts of home while on the road. We get it. For us, though, the exact opposite is true. Bottom line, there's no accounting for taste--lol!

* This post was edited 07/11/21 11:18am by otrfun *

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/21 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I realize the 7.3 is more powerful, we've had two of the V10 F250's and with a 12k 5th wheel, it was downshifting at every overpass, so even though 800miles of Michigan isn't a lot of tough mountains, if you get up around 16k, I would have preferred the diesel. Down around 13k, the 7.3 is more reasonable.

Yes, it will pull the 16k (assuming the ratings allow it) but it will be turning a lot of revs any time you get in hills.

On the positive side, gas is better in terms of payload limits of a 5th wheel since it's lighter than the diesel.

In terms of safety, once you get on the road, the length is largely irrelevant. It's when you try to put it in a tight parking spot it can work against you.

For us, it's the smallest RV that we can be comfortable in. That means a little 20ft trailer is unacceptable but we certainly don't need a 40ft monster.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a mental block for trailers over about 34-35'. Which is complicating our search for a toy hauler. For primitive camping where we live we can handle longer trailers, but we do also like some state parks and in those campgrounds the longer rigs are tougher to accommodate. For two people I think I'd lean shorter, and lighter since you're pulling with a gas truck.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a carry it all mindset. I'm not looking to compromise or make do. With that in mind I want a large RV with lots of space, lots of storage and lots of carrying capacity. A genset or now days A/C capable solar is a must. I want the ability to be totally self contained if necessary.
I don't want to fear or struggle with hills or mountains going up or down. I want my entire experience to be relaxing.
With all those factors in mind I have a diesel dually truck and a 40' 5th wheel.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

I have a carry it all mindset. I'm not looking to compromise or make do. With that in mind I want a large RV with lots of space, lots of storage and lots of carrying capacity. A genset or now days A/C capable solar is a must. I want the ability to be totally self contained if necessary.
I don't want to fear or struggle with hills or mountains going up or down. I want my entire experience to be relaxing.
With all those factors in mind I have a diesel dually truck and a 40' 5th wheel.

If you don’t want to struggle on the hills you might want to consider trading that Duramax in on a 7.3.[emoticon]

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would get the one that fits both your needs. I would go with the largest you could get. Space makes a difference when on the road for weeks on end.
Since she wants no more than 36 and you want 40 settle in the middle at 38ft.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Lantley wrote:

If you don’t want to struggle on the hills you might want to consider trading that Duramax in on a 7.3.[emoticon]

I think the 7.3 will be a good motor....for a gasser.
My last Duramax 07' went 300K trouble free miles. Can't say that for the Ford's I owned prior.
Currently all of of the modern pick up diesel's are very capable.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Size Matters???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.