RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Size Matters???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Size Matters???

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

Lantley wrote:

I have a carry it all mindset. I'm not looking to compromise or make do. With that in mind I want a large RV with lots of space, lots of storage and lots of carrying capacity. A genset or now days A/C capable solar is a must. I want the ability to be totally self contained if necessary.
I don't want to fear or struggle with hills or mountains going up or down. I want my entire experience to be relaxing.
With all those factors in mind I have a diesel dually truck and a 40' 5th wheel.

If you don’t want to struggle on the hills you might want to consider trading that Duramax in on a 7.3.[emoticon]

I think the 7.3 will be a good motor....for a gasser.
My last Duramax 07' went 300K trouble free miles. Can't say that for the Ford's I owned prior.
Currently all of of the modern pick up diesel's are very capable.

Exactly. Even though the 7.3/10 speed might keep up to many diesels on the road, it's still a naturally aspirated engine and doesn't compared to pulling with a turbo diesel.

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

I have a carry it all mindset. I'm not looking to compromise or make do. With that in mind I want a large RV with lots of space, lots of storage and lots of carrying capacity. A genset or now days A/C capable solar is a must. I want the ability to be totally self contained if necessary.
I don't want to fear or struggle with hills or mountains going up or down. I want my entire experience to be relaxing.
With all those factors in mind I have a diesel dually truck and a 40' 5th wheel.

You're fooling yourself if you think a dually and 40' fifth wheel doesn't involve compromises. You can't get that setup to most of the spots I camp, and the truck stinks off-road and in snow/ice. Obviously you can be comfortable with those compromises because they may not bother you, but they're certainly compromises that would be deal killers for other folks.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not me.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

Lantley wrote:

You're fooling yourself if you think a dually and 40' fifth wheel doesn't involve compromises. You can't get that setup to most of the spots I camp, and the truck stinks off-road and in snow/ice. Obviously you can be comfortable with those compromises because they may not bother you, but they're certainly compromises that would be deal killers for other folks.

I see you are in Idaho. Living in Idaho would be my firt compromise!
My 40' trailers fits in all the places I want to go. I am not in in a remote area, hence there are not a lot of remote CG's. THere is not a lot of boondocking to be done on the east coast.
There are however lots of state and private parks in the Delmarva add in PA and there are plety of places to accomadate my 40' rig without compromise.
Yes we get snow, and while I agree a SRW does better in the snow I have no problems with my dually. I am in MD not Idaho,Buffalo,Colorado or an area that gets lots of snow. MD has its share of issues but lots of snow is not one of them.
The real bottom line is this is an RV tow vehicles forum. This is not the multi purpose truck forum, or an off roading forum or the snow and ice forum. When it comes to towing a large, heavy 5'er a diesel dually pick up is still the go to vehicle. Keep in mind on the east coast there is limited off road camping.
If you focus on RV tow vehicles the dually presents very little compromise. If you want to off roading, or exploring underground parking garages or get your food exclusively at drive through windows then you will have lots of compromise in a dually.
Having a dually to pull my RV involves very little compromise. It carries the weight, pulls the load up the grade, and slows the load coming down the hill. There are plenty of sites to accomodate my 40' trailer in my area and up and down the east coast including WVA and Ohio.
While a dually may involve lots of compromise for your style of camping in Idaho, it presents very little compromise for camping on the east coast.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/21 03:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went from a 35' bunkhouse w/ 4 people to a 41' rear LR, front BR with a slide-n-slide for 2 people and love it.. Common folks would say it should have been the other way around, but we bucked that term. In the process we also had to upgrade truck to a DRW diesel. The extra room the new coach provides is awesome. Tho only our 2nd RV, it could be our last as well........at least for a long time. YES it does pose a problem if we want to stay in state and NP's, but don't have a prob if we have to travel a bit more. Many replies all pretty much say, that Botton line it's what ever you feel comfy with and I also like the suggestion about a 38' as a compromise. A heavier coach will ride better and sometimes translates into a better built one. Like what others have said too, advertised pin weight is a misnomer, but on ave, add another several hundred pounds. DO tho go by max GVW for the RV. As an example: our advertised pin was 2800 = actual 3700 (fully loaded). Dry weight is 14,000, max is 16,000, fully loaded, 15,980. Over on all accounts w/ the '15 F350 SRW we had. Yes I MISS the SRW, but the DRW handles the rig w/ ease. Could I have kept the '15? Yes. Legal and safe, NO. I say no cuz if involved in a accident, some sue happy att'y would find out and then it's OS time. Stay within limits of your truck and let the smiles begin.

* This post was edited 07/12/21 09:07am by ACZL *

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/21 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having been to smaller and older campgrounds, the smaller camper is likely to fit in more campgrounds. When my wife and I are empty nesters, we are hoping for a sub 32' 5th wheel that is more of a 3 or 4 season camper with some nice slides. I think opposing slides in the living room is far more preferable to an extra few feet of space that might squeeze us out of some campsites.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/21 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

If you are going to stick to large commercial campgrounds, that works...it's a compromise but it works.

Air/con capable solar system is still not practical. It can be done but it really gets silly very quickly or you are back to compromise in terms of limiting the cooling use.

I will agree, if you are going to get a 40ft monster, diesel dully makes a lot of sense as the tow vehicle but again it comes as a compromise.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

If you are going to stick to large commercial campgrounds, that works...it's a compromise but it works.

Air/con capable solar system is still not practical. It can be done but it really gets silly very quickly or you are back to compromise in terms of limiting the cooling use.

I will agree, if you are going to get a 40ft monster, diesel dully makes a lot of sense as the tow vehicle but again it comes as a compromise.

I think we are mis using compromise. Compromise implies sacrifice or not getting what I realy want.
When I take my rig out I'm not sacrificing or compromising at all.
I don't wish I could go to some remote area or travel down a logging road.
I want to go somewhere that can accomodate my 5 slide unit.
I have no problem finding those places.
No the plces I go are not packed like sardines, although I have been to very tight places I have learned where to go and where not to go.
We all learn to pick our destinations and gravitate to places we like.
If I chose to remote camp, I would likely have a smaller unit, but again that is not my style or what I want to do.
If I wanted a rig that was easier to back up, I would most likely have a smaller unit but again that is not my desire. I don't mind the challeges/requirements of having a larger unit.
I don't think the guy in the scamp or TC is sacrificing because they chose a smaller RV. They are merely going with what they like.
There is no sacrifice or compromise involved if you have made a decision to do it your way.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

36ft 13,000 SRW F350 with the 6.7 diesel. The gas F350 shouldn't be a problem, your more interested in how much weight it can carry, what it can pull is useless.
[image]

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy what you like. The truck won't know any difference.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Size Matters???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.