RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Airbags.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Airbags.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
langleyger

Langley,BC.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/21 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are airbags needed on a F350, with an Adventurer slide in camper.

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/21 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn’t add until your loaded and wet camper is aboard with the rear sagging.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/21 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to be more specific. Depending on the model, accessories and personal cargo, an Adventurer is likely to be well over 5000#. Again, you need to be more specific about the configuration of the F350. Many will not safely carry a 5000 plus pound cargo with or without air bags.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/21 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably or maybe.
Year of truck? Dually or SRW? Model of Adventurer? Number of people also in truck?
Towing a trailer too?
Unless this is a dually and a very small camper you will probably want airbags.

lonegunman

Eastern Washington

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on the camper. A giant long bed two or three slide camper probably needs a dually. A 901SB should work fine. Adventurer is very good about giving the actual weight from the scales on the builders tag, not some **** estimate like most companies. Adventurer also gives the correct center of mass. As long as you keep the red arrows at the axel or forward of it, your weight is where it is supposed to be. So it is not really cut and dry in some respects.

Yes, airbags are cheap, easy to install and worth every penny. I'd have them even if I did not have a truck camper. Skip all the dribble from the 19.5" wheel crowd and just put them on. Do not air them up so high your helper spring does not make contact with the bump stop and they will be great for stopping the sag.

Your truck will safely carry most Adventurer models in spite of what the weight NAZIs here will tell you. Better E-rated tires, aired up properly to 80lbs and a nice set-up with decent shocks (KYB Monomax/anything but Rancho shocks, most Rancho stuff is garbage), maybe a set of Stableloads to bring the helper springs in early and you are good to go. If your truck did not come with a rear sway bar, standard on Camper Package trucks, you might want to consider buying one.

Spending $500 bucks on air bags is cheap and makes the truck ride better, do it and be happy. Just remember to run air lines to each bag separately.

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=54261

https://www.torklift.com/rv/stableload#appguide

* This post was edited 07/11/21 09:44pm by lonegunman *

hedge

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 10:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an Adventure 89RB, ready to camp it's pushing 3800lbs. I think that is about the max for a SRW truck.

I see lots with heavier campers, maybe they carry less stuff than I do or they've just never been to a scale so they are blissfully ignorant of how overloaded they are.

I do have air bags, I run 30lbs in them. I also have upper stableloads so this is the point where the bags are taking some of the weight but not unloading the overloads.

2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Sagebrush

Jacksonville AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/21 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Load the rig up and see how much rear sag you have. I like having the basic Firestone bags you fill manually, but my tuck is old.

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your truck will sag. Will it sag enough t bother you? You must tell us.

Bags will be very nice and you can set the ride height where you want it.

My guess based on no info is that you would want to put bags on.

Important!!! For TCs the bags are best placed under the frame, WHERE THE SPRINGS ARE, never inside the springs. Placing them inside could make the truck more unstable as you are supporting the weight above the springs from a more narrow stance. Like standing with your feet together or with feet spread apart, which is more stable?

For leaf spring trucks it is easy as you just put bags on top of the leafs, for coil springs it gets a little more complicated and these are the ones that tend to get put inside the frame. For trailer help this is not important, but for TCs it matters!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Easy peasy. Buy some. 5k bags are plenty stout enough for what you’re doing. 7500 lb would be great too.
And if there’s no sway bar, add one of them too.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

langleyger

Langley,BC.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/21 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My truck is a 2011 Ford F350 King Ranch SW.
My camper is a Adventurer 89RB. The weight listed on the sticker, is 2832 lbs. I might put airbags on, just for peace of mind.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Airbags.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.