RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Internet question????

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Internet question????

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
joelyn

Az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/21 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hello, I have asked around and can't get a right answer so figured I would ask here since I always get great help here..
I have had earth-link as my Email and internet provider for years with a bill every month. I would like to switch to a free email provider like Gmail. my question is, is there a way to have all my earthlink email forwarded to my new Gmail acct automatically since i have so many contacts as well as bills etc that have my Earthlink email and no way could I even remember and change all my accts and subscriptions.
Thanks for any help in this matter

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from ATC, help anyone?

joelyn

Az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/21 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THANKS..

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a look at gmail and see if it has an import utility. It's been a lot of years but I seem to remember it does. Also Youtube or google knows everything.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I switched from earthlink to free Gmail many years ago and transferred my earthlink emails to gmail if I remember correctly but do not remember how after all this time has passed. Google search may have the answer as well as youtube. I also remember my saving to the desktop many earthlink email contacts and messages before the switch. Gmail has been great. Earthlink continued to bill me after I left and sent me nasty messages to pay up even though I closed my account. USA headquarters in Georgia???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EarthLink

* This post was edited 07/11/21 06:38pm by NamMedevac 70 *

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/21 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same issue I've been thinking about for years. I haven't used Earthlink for my internet service provider in a very long time, but still use that email address, for which they charge me a somewhat nominal fee.

I see in the webmail preferences, under "General" there is Email forwarding, which allows you to have all incoming email forwarded to a different address. So that might help you.

I don't know how to move existing emails over other than to open and forward each one to your new email address.

In preferences you can also export your contacts in csv format. Then maybe you can import them into gmail.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/21 04:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have to keep the earth link account in order to forward your emails why bother?

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe G-mail (If not G-Mail than Yahoo mail) has an auto import link.. I do not use it.. I have 3 (Well actually more but the rest go to a black hole) E-Dresses. one is Gmail. One Yahoo and one is nowhere man. it's a reflector. (Forwards to one of the above) That last one is a membership service so one fellow member told me "If you forget to send in your dues they cut you off" (True but I have not sent in dues for over 45 years... I'm a life Member)

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

phil-t

Ogdensburg, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/21 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GMail does have an import feature. You will need to deal with all your accounts that use your earthlink account and have those changed along with any other users you want to continue corresponding with. arthlink should allow forwarding and if you keep that account for a bit, you can respond to any correspondance with your gmail account.

Good luck. I've advocated gmail, yahoo mail, etc. over provider accounts for may years. Loose your provider and you loose your mail account. Gmail will work on any provider's network.

2010 Winnebago Vista 32k on a 2009 Ford F53 22k chassis

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joelyn wrote:

hello, I have asked around and can't get a right answer so figured I would ask here since I always get great help here..
I have had earth-link as my Email and internet provider for years with a bill every month. I would like to switch to a free email provider like Gmail. my question is, is there a way to have all my earthlink email forwarded to my new Gmail acct automatically since i have so many contacts as well as bills etc that have my Earthlink email and no way could I even remember and change all my accts and subscriptions.
Thanks for any help in this matter

We have Earthlink, our original ISP used Earthlink for Email and then they dropped Earthlink in favor of their own home brewed email. We were given the choice to keep Earthlink but in doing so we would have to subscribe to Earthlink ourselves.

First, you can change the Earthlink billing to once a yr, you will prepay for the yr up front. Paying by the yr can save you money but you most likely will need to call Earthlink to set this up. Earthlink will still send a monthly statement but it will be zeroed out until you run out of money on the prepaid account.

As far as forwarding actual Earthlink domain emails goes, if you quit paying Earthlink I suspect forwarding Earthlink domain emails will also stop.

You are far better off simply one by one, changing the email addresses for all of your accounts from Earthlink to your Gmail address.

Exporting/importing Contacts and saved emails varies greatly depending on if you are using the webmail interface or using a third party email client (Thunderbird/Outlook).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Internet question????
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.