RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Problem with U-Haul refill. Time replace my propane tanks?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Problem with U-Haul refill. Time replace my propane tanks?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only safe legal way to fill DOT portable cylinders is by WEIGHT. That said there are variations in the sale of LP
1. Some LP fillers sell by POUND(gallons) only. You only pay for the Pounds(gallons) they put in your tank
2. Some fill by TANK only. They charge by the full tank regardless of how much LP they put in----A 20 pound tank x dollars---A 30 pound tank x dollars
3. So by gallon only you only pay for what they put in
4. BY TANK, if your tank still has LP you are paying full price regardless of how much(or little) they actually put in the tank.
5. Last, COST and convienance is a variable. How much time or Gas money are you going to spend to get to that LP gas filler station? If close then refill, but if it is a lot of miles and time then use a exchange service. Doug

I use a by the pound(gallon) refiller. AND it is less than a mile from me.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobbolotune wrote:

(I am surprised that some responses said they use cylinder exchange. I have always assumed that I should use tanks that I have owned since new so that I know they have been carefully handled. Which can be a pain because propane refill can be harder to find than exchange.
And I'm surprised you don't see that as a good deal.

Your original post was needing a serviceable tank, which propane exchanges will provide you. They aren't selling junk, their tanks are certified and fine, just not brand new in most cases, but I have found some pretty nice tanks from time to time. I have never had a propane place refuse to fill them.

The subject has drifted off to just propane.

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use exchange cylinders when certification lapses and when refilling is less convenient. The only problem was when I picked up a tank that was nearly out of date, and needed to exchange it once more when empty.

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Problem with U-Haul refill. Time replace my propane tanks?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.