|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> black water tank treatments

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the past 23 years, in one TT and 3 MH's, we have always used Thetford Campa-Chem or Aqua Kem. It has worked very well for us and we have never had to resort to Dawn, Laundry Soap, Pine Sol, Ice cubes, or any other home concoctions to clean our tanks.
We camp 6 months out of the year.

2010 Suncruiser

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the dump valve that came with my RV. [emoticon] Seriously, I stopped adding anything after the first bottle of additive ran out.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/21 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IB853347201 wrote:

For the past 23 years, in one TT and 3 MH's, we have always used Thetford Campa-Chem or Aqua Kem. It has worked very well for us and we have never had to resort to Dawn, Laundry Soap, Pine Sol, Ice cubes, or any other home concoctions to clean our tanks.
We camp 6 months out of the year.

"resort to home concoctions"
So you would prefer to resort to commercial chemical "concoctions" to make your poop smell nice.
Dawn, fabric softener, laundry soap are used only to slick up the tank.
Your chemical does nothing to break down solids, unless you are treasuring your deposits for weeks at a time.
50 years of camping with either only water or fabric softener,never a problem.
I am sure that the Thetford people appreciate your patronage though. They may be chuckling but they appreciate you.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

CharlesinGA wrote:

I've been using TanksTechRX. Cannot say good or bad about it, but knowing it is designed to use probiotics to break down the poo and not chemicals, Its probably a good choice. Time will tell.

Tank Techs RX on Amazon

Charles

I also use Tank RX, seems to be the best stuff so far. But along with it a day or so before we pack up I put in 1/4 cup of calgon powder and a capful of HE liquid laundry detergent in all the tanks. And we actually are NOT one of the USE LOTS OF WATER folks, we often dry camp for 1-2 weeks so the tank needs to last. We typically can go a week with DW and I, Daughter SIL and two teenagers. Thats with a 40 gallon black tank and two 35 gallon grey tanks.

Don't waste clean water, do dishes in pan, then dump pan thru toilet. Save room in grey tank, adds the soap to black tank.

Timmo!

South-central Oregon...on the river

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/21 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amen JR. Wifey usually dumps her used dishwater down the poop chute (soapy water) and just before pulling out from the campsite, all the ice we have on hand goes in. And...we use Charmin single ply butt wipes.

And if no one is in line after dumping, I use that white wand to spray fresh water to clean out the plumbing (otherwise I wand it at home).

TexasShadow

Spring Branch, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/21 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we use cheap laundry liquid detergent, 2 Cups, plus 1 cup of Borax in the black tank and the gray tank and we dump about once a week. works fine for us.

TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cheap laundry detergent is all you need, if anything. Like many prior have mentioned, just dump in a cup, drive around to splash it around, then go dump it.

RHasse

So Cal

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We usually throw a pod of laundry detergent down the toilet when we set out on a trip, add a little water and let it do its thing while we drive. Detergents are polar and will work to dislodge anything built up on the walls of the tank, and will work to break up any solids in the water. I hear the full timers using jus water, that's fine. But laundry detergent is cheap, and putting 1 or 2 pods down the toilet is easy. For those of us who's RV's get less constant usage it's probably not a bad idea to use it. It certainly wont hurt anything.

dcmac214

SW OKLA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/21 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cheap laundry detergent pods and lots of water. Started using the pods when we got the 5er +decade ago. Good for klutzy me, nothing to spill.
Edit - Also put one down the greywater too.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

scout dad wrote:

Hello,
I am wondering how many of you use some sort of chemicals in your black tank? Do you think it helps with breakdown of stuff in tank?
I am NOT looking for TP suggestions or anything like that . I know use plenty of water. I am just wanted to see how many people actually uses them?

happy Camping

Nope, no chemicals.

Tank "treatments" in reality are only "deodorants" to cover or mask the smell. They do not break down anything and any marketing hype that says otherwise is nothing more than snake oil sales and marketing stuff.

Your tanks are "holding tanks", not septic systems, two completely different functions.

Holding tanks do not break down or digest material, they hold the material until you can dump it.

Septic systems do breakdown and digest material, solids not digest-able fall to the bottom, digestable materials get broke down into smaller particles and those flow out with excess water to the septic field. And no, you do not need to add any special treatments to septic systems either. They self start the process from everything that is already present in the waste. Solids that do not digest eventually must be pumped out by a honey dipper.

Water is all you need to "break down" the material into a easy to dump material, in some respects water acts as a "solvent", the more water you add, the better everything in the tank will thin down.

Before dumping the black tank before storing trailer, I fill it up to 3/4 tank with water, then dump. Close valve, add some Dawn dish detergent, fill tank halfway then dump again. close and finish with grey water tank.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> black water tank treatments
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.